Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clearwater, Florida

Clearwater, Florida

I'm considering booking a family vacation to Clearwater. Any advice? We're thinking June. I'm assuming the bugs might be pretty bad, but that's the earliest I can do it. And I don't want to melt in July or August.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Okay, the obvious question is: Why Clearwater? The Tampa area is nice, and they've got the Salvador Dali museum, but I really can't see spending an entire vacation there. (Though you're only about an hour to 90 minutes from Orlando, so there are options if you get bored.)

What kind of advice do you want? The question ("Any advice?") is pretty vague.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Well, we did Disney a couple of years ago and are looking for a nice beach that's not the Atlantic Ocean. We'd be right there near Tampa and only about 90 minutes to Disney and Universal. Advice would be what to see (didn't know of the Dali museum, for example), what to avoid, what else is within a decent distance. What to prepare for (insects, etc.). I didn't think it was that vague.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

If you're into that sort of thing, the Big Cat Rescue place is pretty fantastic. The Lowry Park Zoo is all right also, but no Bronx or San Diego Zoo. If you're in the mood for a theme park but don't want to go as far as Orlando, there's a Busch Gardens which is a bit of all right.

Though I've been to Tampa Bay several times, I haven't done that much touristy stuff, because we were there visiting spousal grandparents who didn't get out much, so that's about the sum of what I can offer.

Oh, and for the "things to avoid" department, be very wary of gators.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Yeah, I've been to Busch Gardens, although that was 25 years go. Not sure if it's improved or not. My kids would likely never go for that with the big parks being relatively close.

Thanks.

I was there ( Tampa and SW Fla) towards the end of June last summer.
    There were torrential tropical storms almost every day in the afternoon.
    Horizontal rain with palm tree parts blowing around.
    And then HOT.
    That is pretty normal for that area.
    Not my idea of a good time.
    I prefer the dry season.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Banned
    I dunno much about Clearwater, Fla except that I seem to get a lot of junk mail from there.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    There were torrential tropical storms almost every day in the afternoon.
    Horizontal rain with palm tree parts blowing around.
    And then HOT.
    That sounds ideal.

I am not a Florida resident (I live in Michigan), but my sister used to live in Tampa, my parents in Englewood, we have friends in Lakeland and my wife’s sister has a place in Naples. We go to Florida every year so I am pretty familiar with the gulf side of the state. If you are going for the beach, Clearwater is a pretty cool place. Clearwater Beach is a wide flat sandy beautiful beach. There are restaurants /bars right there on the beach which you can walk into with your flip flops and bathing suit. There is all of the typical tourist stuff in the area. The good thing about Clearwater in June is that it is off season so should not be crawling with people. During tourist season the traffic can get ridiculous and it can be very crowded. The time you are going you should be able to get dirt cheap rates and will have much less people. The bad thing about June is it will be very hot and humid. The area can get a lot of rain and storms in the summer too. The area is known as one of the lightning capitol’s of the world for good reason. As for things to do, Tampa is right down the road with everything that a big city has. The Aquarium in Tampa is very cool and worth visiting. We like going to Ybor City for bars, restaurants and unique shops. Busch Gardens is cool too and has grown significantly over the years. St. Petersburg is close too. As someone else mentioned the Dali Museum is cool. The Tampa Bay Rays play there if you like baseball. There are lots of great golf courses in the area if you are a golfer and in the summer you can play for half the price places charge in the winter. Regarding insects, to be honest I have never noticed any particular insect issues when in Florida. Not sure what else you might be looking for, but if you have any specifics I might be able to provide more info.

Thanks, gents!

Clearwater is nice but I think the east coast is nicer. I live near Daytona Beach and I recommend it for several reasons. One is I like to go swimming at the beach and as I remember the gulf coast is full of jellyfish and you have to be careful. I remember getting stung. Orlando has been mentioned above but unless you are taking the kids to Disneyworld it is just a very congested city full of toll roads and heavy traffic.

Thanks. I think there are just as many jelly fish on the east coast. We went to Myrtle Beach last year and after a storm, they nailed everyone. I have been hearing that the Gulf water is much clearer, which is what we're really looking for.

Generally speaking, the ocean has cleaner water than the gulf, but it boils down to wave action making it look cloudy. The gulf is very shallow.
    If you go to Clearwater Beach, turn south and go over the bridge to Sand Key, it's only a mile or two. Make the first right at the park (Ft. Desoto, IIRC,). It always makes the top 10 list of beaches. Hundreds of acres of beautiful white sand to stretch out on. Seriously recommended. And not crowded.
    But at nite, Clearwater Beach is the place to hang out at !! That's where the action is ! It's no Cancun, but it's fun !!

Jellyfish a problem ?? Hardly. I lived in South Beach (Miami Beach) and had to watch out for the Portuguese Man 'o War jellyfish a lot. In the Gulf, you have to do the 'Stingray Shuffle' to avoid getting stung. But it's all seasonal, here today, gone tomorrow. WARNING: AVOID RED TIDE !! You're by the Gulf in the summer ? pay attention - do not go anywhere near the water when there's an outbreak. I've run into this living farther south down by Sarasota. (rarely makes it north to Clearwater) It's toxic enough to kill fish by the thousands. Just breathing the air will sting your lungs ! No BS !
    But, other than Mother Nature always trying to kill you, (Hurricanes, biting bugs, the blazing Sun, etc.) It's Nice in Florida !

Isn't the Scientology Headquarters in Clearwater? If so, you HAVE to check that out!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Well, between that and the Dali museum, I might go into surrealism overload.

What to avoid:

Beware of FLORIDA MAN.

Although it may be impossible to avoid him.

^^ ^^

Nice beach.

Home of Scientology Headquarters and the "safe house" where they make people disappear when they want to leave the "religion".

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    my cousin lives in Clearwater.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

My mom's in Venice.
    We always go to siesta key beach near Sarasota.
    The nicest beach iVe been to.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Well, between that and the Dali museum, I might go into surrealism overload.
    There's a Dali museum in Clearwater? or somewhere in FL? I had a great-uncle that used to drive from south Jersey to St. Petersburg for fishing (and perhaps a girlfriend)

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    There's a Dali museum in Clearwater? or somewhere in FL? I had a great-uncle that used to drive from south Jersey to St. Petersburg for fishing (and perhaps a girlfriend)
    No it is in St. Petersburg, south of Clearwater but not really far.

http://thedali.org/home.php

FWIW, I booked a vacation for July in Orlando (three days at Universal) and Clearwater (four days), based partly on the comments I received here. Yes, I know, it's the rainy season and it will be HOT. But, with everything comes some risk.

Thanks.

Well, good luck. And if Florida Man shows up and gets naked on the roof and pulls the TV off the wall and poops in your living room and tries to eat the stuff from the vacuum cleaner, I hope Universal will give you a new room.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Well, good luck. And if Florida Man shows up and gets naked on the roof and pulls the TV off the wall and poops in your living room and tries to eat the stuff from the vacuum cleaner, I hope Universal will give you a new room.
    I thought that came with the price of the rental. iYou mean it;s extra?