Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Remembers Silver Apples

Who Remembers Silver Apples

I would think that for many on this list the eponymous debut by Silver Apples may have been their first electronic music album. It's the dawn of electronic pop when we talk to Simeon from Silver Apples the 1960s electronic duo, tonight on Echoes http://wp.me/pgATL-2IC I've got a bunch of cool outtakes from the on-air broadcast in the Echoes Blog.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have both albums with the original duo on LPs. Both are OK and are rather crude. Simeon played his homemade contraption of sound generators and audio oscillators and Danny Taylor played, at the time (1968-1969), the largest drum kit in rock. Hugely influential band. Simeon is still around and, I believe, fronts a modern version of the band. I believe Danny died a few years ago. Before Silver Apples, he was the drummer, if I am correct, in the pre-Experience band, Jimmy James and the Blue Flames, that also featured a very young Randy Wolfe (later to be known as Randy California).
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I'm still flabbergasted that MCA, yes the actual MCA, not some several layers down subsidiary, but MCA THEMSELVES put out a reissue of the two Silver Apples albums from the late 60's. Great records, if you ask me. One night on Journey Of The Sorcerer's Apprentice, I did a perfect segue between Oscillations and Cream's As You Said. I've also played A Pox On You and a couple other songs on the show. I should probably think about playing more in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Both are OK and are rather crude.
    Same reaction for me. After years of hearing the name I finally heard them a few years ago, and my reaction was, "Really? This is it?" There were TONS of much better electronic bands, from that time as well as before.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I'm still flabbergasted that MCA, yes the actual MCA, not some several layers down subsidiary, but MCA THEMSELVES put out a reissue of the two Silver Apples albums from the late 60's. Great records, if you ask me. One night on Journey Of The Sorcerer's Apprentice, I did a perfect segue between Oscillations and Cream's As You Said. I've also played A Pox On You and a couple other songs on the show. I should probably think about playing more in the near future.
    yup, that's how I became aware of these guys... There uis a certain Can meets Tangerine Dream meets White Noise twist to these guys

Both albums are good, but I prefer the debut...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Yeah, I remember when the first LP came out, there was a fair amount of "hipper-than-thou" excitement about it, but while it scratches a particular nostalgic itch I don't think either album holds up all that well....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

If you missed our interview with Silver Apples last week, catch it in the Echoes Podcast http://wp.me/pgATL-2IP

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    There were TONS of much better electronic bands, from that time as well as before.
    Robert, really, tons? From 1968 and before? Other than United States of America and maybe 50 Foot Hose, who else was there? While there was a naivete and crudeness to Silver Apples, there was really nothing else like them until the late 1970s and early New Wave groups like The Normal, Devo and Throbbing Gristle.

Quote Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
    Robert, really, tons? From 1968 and before? Other than United States of America and maybe 50 Foot Hose, who else was there?
    Well, there was also Lothar & the Hand People. But all of those groups were full rock bands with conventional instruments in addition to the electronics, not nearly as radical as Silver Apples' drums-and-electronics-only format.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Well, there was also Lothar & the Hand People. But all of those groups were full rock bands with conventional instruments in addition to the electronics, not nearly as radical as Silver Apples' drums-and-electronics-only format.
    Agreed, except don't forget the banjo!

For what they are, and - more importantly when they were, I think that they are really great albums that and they were a tremendously original and cool band.

Side one of the first album is one of the greatest sides of psychedelia from the 60s there is for me!

Uncle Steve has spoken!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Agreed, except don't forget the banjo!
    I knew someone would mention that!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Side one of the first album is one of the greatest sides of psychedelia from the 60s there is for me!
    Absolutely. Those are some incredible songs on that side that still stand up.

I heard a track by them a long time ago on an independent radio station. Based on what I heard they sounded kind of like the Doors with early primitive synthesizer.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

[Robert, really, tons? From 1968 and before? Other than United States of America and maybe 50 Foot Hose, who else was there? ]

I agree. The only other one I can think of besides the ones you just mentioned(and of course SA)is White Noise.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    [Robert, really, tons? From 1968 and before? Other than United States of America and maybe 50 Foot Hose, who else was there? ]

I agree. The only other one I can think of besides the ones you just mentioned(and of course SA)is White Noise.
    Spoils of War, an also important band.
    Friendsound's "Joyride" for all that echo/reverb worship.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 03-07-2014 at 05:26 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Robert, really, tons? From 1968 and before? Other than United States of America and maybe 50 Foot Hose, who else was there? While there was a naivete and crudeness to Silver Apples, there was really nothing else like them until the late 1970s and early New Wave groups like The Normal, Devo and Throbbing Gristle.
    I might have been exaggerating a bit, as I am wont to do.
    * Tonto's Expanding Headband - 1971
    * Mother Mallard's Portable Masterpiece Company - 1969
    * The Mandrake Memorial - 1967
    * Morton Subotnik - 1967
    * Lothar and the Hand People - 1966
    * Walter Carlos - 1964
    * Raymond Scott - 1963
    * Hugh LeCaine - 1962
    * Tod Dockstader - 1961
    * Milton Babbitt - 1961
    * Otto Luening - 1960
    * Karlheinz Stockhausen - 1960
    * Jean-Jacques Perrey - 1960
    * Bebe & Louis Barron - 1950
    There are dozens of others but I'm at work right now and don't have access to my archives. I'm sure you get my point anyway

none of that stuff really strikes me as being all that similar to the Apples - SA wrote actual songs (for one).

I remember hearing "Oscillations" as pre-show music somewhere, and thinking that someone had done a real neat remix of the tune that gave it a very modern feel (particularly in the drums). Went home and listened to it and sure enough they were actually just playing the original.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I might have been exaggerating a bit, as I am wont to do.
    * Tonto's Expanding Headband - 1971
    * Mother Mallard's Portable Masterpiece Company - 1969
    * The Mandrake Memorial - 1967
    * Morton Subotnik - 1967
    * Lothar and the Hand People - 1966
    * Walter Carlos - 1964
    * Raymond Scott - 1963
    * Hugh LeCaine - 1962
    * Tod Dockstader - 1961
    * Milton Babbitt - 1961
    * Otto Luening - 1960
    * Karlheinz Stockhausen - 1960
    * Jean-Jacques Perrey - 1960
    * Bebe & Louis Barron - 1950
    There are dozens of others but I'm at work right now and don't have access to my archives. I'm sure you get my point anyway
    Wasn't Jean-Jacques Perrey one of the guys doing those tacky Switched-On Bach knock offs, only with pop music. Ya know, "Pop Goes The Moog" or "Switched-On Beatles" or whatever the frell the titles were.

Most of the rest of the people who name were most definitely not playing anything even remotely resembling rock music, so have little bearing on the discussion. Other than Mandrake Memorial, the others you name were making "serious" music, not fun rock n roll tunes to zone out to.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Wasn't Jean-Jacques Perrey one of the guys doing those tacky Switched-On Bach knock offs, only with pop music. Ya know, "Pop Goes The Moog" or "Switched-On Beatles" or whatever the frell the titles were.
    Not quite. He did wacky Moog pop music but it was mostly original compositions. He's most noted for the albums he did in collaboration with Gershon Kingsley. The Main Street Electrical Parade music is one of theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Why isn't this post on the main board ??

it should be!!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Spoils of War, an also important band.
    Their album wasn't released until the 90s, though. I believe they resurfaced in France as Mormos.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Yeah, I remember when the first LP came out, there was a fair amount of "hipper-than-thou" excitement about it, but while it scratches a particular nostalgic itch I don't think either album holds up all that well....
    Agreed. Sorta like Clark-Hutchinson in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    none of that stuff really strikes me as being all that similar to the Apples - SA wrote actual songs (for one).
    If that's what you want to call them. I wouldn't.