Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2012 College Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Garion81 View Post
    I am sorry it is a bye week. They do this on purpose and are the only conference that does it constantly. The PAC 12 has 9 conference games. the SEC 7
    While I agree this is patently stupid, it does not make the PAC 12 better than the SEC. This isn't a pissing contest. There are facts. Besides the championship games (which you could debate are based somewhat on opinion), the SEC produces more NFL players. Georgia has 9 guys on the team projected to be in the NFL next year.

It is the preseason polls and if you only have to play one or two really hard games a year your never going to move far in loss.
    No one in any division plays more than one or two really hard games. Playing Vandy is easy every year. Playing Auburn this year was easy. But that's not always the case. Last year, UGA got LSU and 'Bama. Add in Florida and South Carolina, and that was one bitch of a schedule.

I don't subscribe to that line of thinking. Alabama hasn't played on the west coast since UCLA beat them 35-24 in 2000. There is reason they don't.
    And it's the same reason west coast teams don't play on the east coast.

Playoffs cannot get here fast enough for me.
    But on this we agree.

When I lived in AZ, I tried to explain to my friends--many of whom had never lived in the southeast or even east of the Mississippi--why SEC football was so much better that PAC 12 football. I think a lot of it comes down to geography. The SEC teams are all just so much closer to each other.

But I realize that it really just comes down to where you're from. I'm sure it's frustrating to hear how superior the SEC is. I'm sure a playoff will even this out. Until then, a PAC 12 team is going to have to beat an SEC team in a championship game, and unless 'Bama loses to Auburn, UGA loses to Tech or Notre Dame loses to USC, that ain't going to happen.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion81 View Post
    . Playoffs cannot get here fast enough for me.
    I'm with you. Never understood why this division can't have a playoff. All the lower divisions do, but the top div./conferences are a popularity contest.

Well, Notre Dame will be No. 1, as they should. I don't think they're truly top 5, but they are unbeaten and deserve the spot.

Anyone see the end of regulation play in the OSU-Wisconsin game? Montee Ball, about to break the NCAA (Div I) record for TDs in a career (by a RB), dives toward the goal line from the 1 yard line to tie the game and go into OT. Unfortunately for him, he led with the ball which was punched out and into the arms of OSU. As much as I respect Ball (& Wisconsin), I had to laugh, which I did loudly! Of course, I do live in Columbus.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico
    I think a lot of it comes down to geography
    Nah. Aside from the fact that they have some good coaches down there, it all boils down to recruiting and the SEC generally have the best recruits overall. This is due to two very important factors for the recruits:
    • They're playing in the Southeastern US. It's warmer down there. Most players don't want to play in subfreezing temperatures and/or snow.
    • A little more relaxed academic standards for the players.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Well, Notre Dame will be No. 1, as they should. I don't think they're truly top 5, but they are unbeaten and deserve the spot.
    And OSU? They're not bowl eligible, this year, but they're also the only other undefeated team in the FBS.

Yes, Ohio State can win a national championship in 2012:
    http://www.freep.com/usatoday/articl...|text|Sports|p

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    And OSU? They're not bowl eligible, this year, but they're also the only other undefeated team in the FBS.

Yes, Ohio State can win a national championship in 2012:
    http://www.freep.com/usatoday/articl...|text|Sports|p
    First, let me say that I am an Ohio State Buckeye fan, and have rooted for them since around 1970.

This OSU team, while undefeated, is not a top caliber team. Their record is distorted by virtue of being in the B1G, which is in such a sorry state as I have never seen in my entire life. There are at least 4 SEC teams which are better than the Bucks (Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M, and possibly Florida and Mississippi St as well.) Florida St is better than OSU. So is Oregon, possibly Notre Dame, and probably Kansas St, Oklahoma St, and Oklahoma from the Big 12. They'd have trouble with TCU & Baylor as well. In a playoff, their defense would be exposed and they'd be out soon.

Having said all that...Watch out...Urb is building a monster in Cow Town. He's taken essentially the same team that won 6 games last year to an undefeated 12-0 season. (Yes, I'm giving Meatchicken no chance next weekend. The Maids in Blue are toast.) Wait till he gets a couple more of his recruiting classes in...It's too bad that Braxton isn't a year younger, but Urb will hoist the trophy sometime in the next 3 years. Bank on it.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu
    Their record is distorted by virtue of being in the B1G
    Agreed.

There are at least 4 SEC teams which are better than the Bucks
    Agreed.

possibly Florida and Mississippi St as well.) Florida St is better than OSU. So is Oregon, possibly Notre Dame, and probably Kansas St, Oklahoma St, and Oklahoma from the Big 12. They'd have trouble with TCU & Baylor as well
    Alright, well, it's obvious you're on drugs. We'll talk when you sober up.

I forgot...

My point was that just because a team's undefeated doesn't mean they're the best in the nation. (eg. Notre Dame)

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    While I agree this is patently stupid, it does not make the PAC 12 better than the SEC. This isn't a pissing contest. There are facts. Besides the championship games (which you could debate are based somewhat on opinion), the SEC produces more NFL players. Georgia has 9 guys on the team projected to be in the NFL next year.

I never said they were better I said how can we just say the SEC is the best when they purposely don't play any good division programs. I understand in any given year you can play a team having a down year because they are scheduled so far out but come on you have to play at least one BCS out of conference opponent and stop the cupcake games in November. At least play 8 conference games.

On another point California has produced more players on NFL rosters than any other state including Florida and Texas. Most of California players play on the Pac12, The Mountain West and the Western Athletic Conference. I think it is just the emphasis of the conference philosophy of where you play your best athletes. The Pac-12, well the entire west in general, emphasize offense while the SEC chooses defense. The perception is because they play defenses they are better. I think Texas A&M kind of put a dent in that argument.

No one in any division plays more than one or two really hard games. Playing Vandy is easy every year. Playing Auburn this year was easy. But that's not always the case. Last year, UGA got LSU and 'Bama. Add in Florida and South Carolina, and that was one bitch of a schedule.

One year doesn't prove that they are the best. I think like every conference including the SEC has 2-4 very good teams and then 4-6 mediocre and 1-2 bad teams.

And it's the same reason west coast teams don't play on the east coast.

That is not entirely true. UCLA had a home and home coming up with Georgia 4 years ago and Georgia canceled it. UCLA has had a home and home with Tennessee, Texas and Nebraska. USC played at Syracuse this year. I can't go through every school but there is more of commitment with the Big 12, Big 10 and Pac 12 to play these types of series but not the SEC. Tennessee seems to be the only school to do that. Oregon played at LSU last year. Didn't see LSU coming to Oregon.

But on this we agree.

Playoffs was the whole sum of my rant.

When I lived in AZ, I tried to explain to my friends--many of whom had never lived in the southeast or even east of the Mississippi--why SEC football was so much better that PAC 12 football. I think a lot of it comes down to geography. The SEC teams are all just so much closer to each other.

But I realize that it really just comes down to where you're from. I'm sure it's frustrating to hear how superior the SEC is. I'm sure a playoff will even this out. Until then, a PAC 12 team is going to have to beat an SEC team in a championship game, and unless 'Bama loses to Auburn, UGA loses to Tech or Notre Dame loses to USC, that ain't going to happen.
    Well until they settle it on the field it is about opinion and bias. I never watch the championship game as my own protest to the absurdity of it all.

Alright, well, it's obvious you're on drugs. We'll talk when you sober up.
    You don't know College Football and that means I'm on drugs? Maybe you oughta start doing drugs.

My point was that just because a team's undefeated doesn't mean they're the best in the nation. (eg. Notre Dame)
    ND has the best defense in the nation -really hard to argue against. They have had a schedule full of many good teams (and no games against FCS schools). They are the only undefeated team in the nation (Ohio State does NOT count). Hard to argue against them being the best. And the best part is, if they win next Saturday, they get to prove they are the best in January. Playoffs are better, sooooo much better of course. But at least we will get the top two ranked teams, and it should be pretty clear who the champion is this year. Had there been that 4 way tie of undefeated teams, which was possible just 2 weeks ago, it would be very muddy, even after the title game. Not the case this year. I hate the BCS, but this year it may work out correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Had there been that 4 way tie of undefeated teams, which was possible just 2 weeks ago, it would be very muddy, even after the title game. Not the case this year. I hate the BCS, but this year it may work out correctly.
    I was really rooting for the 4 undefeated teams, just to absolutely prove the stupidity of the NCAA.

The BCS by definition never works out correctly.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm with you. Never understood why this division can't have a playoff. All the lower divisions do, but the top div./conferences are a popularity contest.
    Division I football is the only NCAA sport who's champion is not crowned after a playoff.

Beyond stupid.

Well, Notre Dame will be No. 1, as they should. I don't think they're truly top 5
    They have the toughest schedule of all of the teams that were undefeated two weeks ago - I despise ND, but they absolutely deserve to be #1

I forgot...

Of course they are - by the criteria that is set forth right now.

I'll counter that it should be impossible for an undefeated team to be ranked below a team with any losses.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

There is a difference between actually being the best and being ranked Number 1. That's why I said "Notre Dame will be No. 1, as they should. (But) I don't think they're truly top 5." I can name at least 5 teams that I am confident are better than ND and would beat them in a Playoff. That is irrelevant to the fact that they deserve the number one spot in the rankings as of right now, based on their record.

I can name at least 5 teams that I am confident are better than ND and would beat them in a Playoff.
    This is exactly why a playoff is needed.

There are people who actually vote for this disaster who feel the same way.

I can name at least 5 teams that I am confident are better than ND and would beat them in a Playoff.
    OK, I'll bite, name the 5 teams. I'll give you Alabama. Beyond that, I can't think of any that are clearly better.

There are five teams at least that I think are better than ND, but I'm not confident any of them could beat ND in a playoff. Lots can happen on a football field that makes predictions look stupid and confidence bets dry up.

ND also doesn't have a Conference championship game to play, which you can't say for SEC, ACC, Big 10, Pac12 etc teams.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    ND also doesn't have a Conference championship game to play, which you can't say for SEC, ACC, Big 10, Pac12 etc teams.
    Last year's Alabama team is proof that this doesn't matter - without a proper playoff.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    This year, that championship game is the only way you can get Alabama or Georgia to end up having played even a moderately difficult schedule. Georgia in particular has played about as soft a schedule as one could deem possible for an SEC team.

To be sung to the music of the Ohio State fight song:

Liquidate Ohio State and turn the Buckeyes blue.

They breed a lot of cattle in Columbus

It looks just like a zoo.

Knock them off their ivory towers

Send them crawling into the showers

Down with Ohio State

It’s a no nothing party school.

They say the girls who go to O.S.U.

Are husband hunting dames

They dig the jocks who got the killer instinct

Not the boys with brains

At Columbus you’re way ahead

With straight A’s in Physical Ed

Down with Ohio State

It’s a no nothing party school

Bust your guts for Meyer

Move your butts for Meyer

Liquidate Ohio State and turn the Buckeyes blue

They breed a lot of cattle in Columbus

It looks just like a zoo

Rah! Rah! Rah!

Knock them off their ivory towers

Send them crawling into the showers

Down with Ohio State

It’s a know nothing party schoooooooooool.

Go Blue! And it's pronounced Meeeeeeeechigan, not Meatchicken.....doesn't surprise me you Buckeye fans get that wrong.
    Last edited by PindralProgger; 11-20-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Maryland and Rutgers joining the Big 10 (Why do we still use the "10" anyway?). Will the Big East even continue?

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    This year, that championship game is the only way you can get Alabama or Georgia to end up having played even a moderately difficult schedule. Georgia in particular has played about as soft a schedule as one could deem possible for an SEC team.
    True, but it's been a down year for the teams they played. Auburn and Tennessee both have coaches that should be fired/have been fired (Dooley got canned yesterday), but both could be so much better in any given year. Again, the Dawgs got lucky this year, and if they had showed up to play the fuckin' 'Cocks, we'd be number one right now.

Quote Originally Posted by PindralProgger View Post
    Go Blue! And it's pronounced Meeeeeeeechigan, not Meatchicken.....doesn't surprise me you Buckeye fans get that wrong.
    Funny song lyrics! Too bad I can't stand Michigan nearly as much as OSU. And in 2 years, I get to play both! Can't wait to see what Rutgers can do in that conference. I have this dream of watching RU go into Michigan stadium making 110,000 fans real quiet! We might also get slaughtered, but its still a nice dream to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Maryland and Rutgers joining the Big 10 (Why do we still use the "10" anyway?). Will the Big East even continue?
    As I'm sure you know, the Big Ten is one of the most iconic brands in all of sports so I get why the name stays. However, to me it's always been associated with the Midwest and the "hearty" people the region is known for, which is why I think Penn State and Nebraska are good fits and didn't mind that expansion with those teams. I do not get why Maryland and Rutgers are even being considered....clearly a money grab by all involved...no disrespect for Maryland or Rutgers, but too bad.
    Last edited by PindralProgger; 11-20-2012 at 11:10 PM.