Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New Mike Rutherford Memoir: The Living Years

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I was quite surprised Mike was so open about his drug intake. He usually looked pretty stoned in photos you see of him in the early-mid 70s. But I assumed, wrongly I now realize, that he was very upper crust and repressed and I went into reading the book thinking he wouldn't reveal very much about himself. By his account, he certainly didn't grow up in wealth and luxury. The only way he got into Charterhouse seemed to be that his father was an admiral. The family didn't seem wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. He was also quite a rebel.

Often British Public School students get criticized for being spoiled arrogant rich kids, it now seems to me that it was quite a traumatic ordeal being separated from parents and family at a young age for many months at a time and having to fend for oneself in a very competitive and often cruel environment. The Genesis members certainly paid there dues and worked very hard.

I need to remind myself when the Brits talk of "public" school, they really mean "private" school.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I
    It's funny but all the Genesis books I've read I stop reading after the band shifted styles from progressive rock to successful pop music. Like most, I love pop music but I couldn't help feeling a lot of disappointment that the same band who wrote Trick and Wind also made Invisible Touch. More power to those who made the transition and love all of their music.
    Not sure if I am reading this quote right, but are you saying that you didn't read the 2nd half of this book?

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    I need to remind myself when the Brits talk of "public" school, they really mean "private" school.
    I struggle with that, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I struggle with that, too.
    Brits really have a difficult time with the American language.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Not sure if I am reading this quote right, but are you saying that you didn't read the 2nd half of this book?
    I read the first 200 pages and skipped 35 or 40 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    Brits really have a difficult time with the American language.

It really isn't that hard. They just need an English dictionary.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

I was reflecting on my completing the last 40 pages and decided to read them. The story was not only about Genesis but closure on family issues too. I have ten pages to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I was reflecting on my completing the last 40 pages and decided to read them. The story was not only about Genesis but closure on family issues too. I have ten pages to go.
    Yea, the last 40 pages has quite a bit of content as well as some significant insight on several things in both his personal and professional life.

Yea, the last 40 pages has quite a bit of content as well as some significant insight on several things in both his personal and professional life.
    Agreed. I think it also put closure on all the relationships Mike was involved in. I honestly can say my opinion of Mike has increased positively as a result of the book.

The book was an interesting read, but I always get annoyed when bands from the 70's always shit on their older material, as if it was inferior and their more modern simplistic pop songs are so much better/well-written. There is plenty of that in Mike's book and it's annoying sometimes.

And I'll still never understand the hate for Epping Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by DTA View Post
    The book was an interesting read, but I always get annoyed when bands from the 70's always shit on their older material, as if it was inferior and their more modern simplistic pop songs are so much better/well-written. There is plenty of that in Mike's book and it's annoying sometimes.

I fully agree with you DTA. At least there are people around like Steve Hackett that know how brilliant the early stuff was, and of course, probably just about everyone on this site! I'd still like to get the book but I know I'm going to get annoyed at some of Mike's musical opinions too!

Epping Forest is a very cool track--I don't mind one bit that it's a bit messy in a way.
    Last edited by Ken Baird; 03-20-2014 at 10:08 AM.

Me neither. For some people, the answer to Zappa's question about humor and music seems to be a resounding "no."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I'll still never understand the hate for Epping Forest.
    It's a trainwreck, a clunky concoction of lyrical square pegs and musical round holes.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    It's a trainwreck, a clunky concoction of lyrical square pegs and musical round holes.
    I don't understand how Epping Forest is such a trainwreck, but Supper's Ready somehow isn't. They're both awesome early Genesis songs with great musical parts and interesting, descriptive lyrics. Somehow this track gets singled out as being such an abomination whereas Supper's Ready gets lauded for being a disjointed collection of small songs.

...a disjointed collection of small songs.
    THAT'S the title of my next album!

Thanks, DTA.

Quote Originally Posted by ExcellentBird View Post
    THAT'S the title of my next album!

Thanks, DTA.
    Royalties!

I've read that Epping Forest was always intended to be an instrumental, and was written that way, and that the vocals were added in later. Gabriel confessed to struggling with the proper lyrics to fit the song.

I think "the Reverend" section is the most successful part of the song, and I think the ending is good.

Getting back to the actual thread, I'll probably read this thing someday. I guess I'm waiting for Tony to finish his version so I can read them back to back.

Wha? Epping Forest is great! Particularly the lyrics!

So is anyone going to any Mike & Mechanics concerts they are performing for the next 3 mo in east and midwest cities US and Canada? Sucks they aren't coming out west this tour. I love Gary Wallis on drums from the Pink Floyd era. He always looks like he's snorted coke as he's wiping his nose a lot. Are there any musicians who don't do drugs??? Not including beer... ?

I just picked this book up and am in the middle of Chapter 2. At this point the book is a balancing act between family history, boarding school and music. I'm enjoying it so far.