Thread: NYC Concert list for 1980 - help needed

NYC Concert list for 1980 - help needed

Anyone have any ideas on how I might find a list of all shows played in NYC in 1980?

I saw the New Riders of the Purple Sage for the first time in NYC in early 1980, with my then girlfriend, now wife.

I have been turning over rocks on the net trying to get the venue and date.

It was a small venue in Manhattan, perhaps a hotel or bar.

Any help would be appreciated, I've googled quite a bit, an looked at the most obvious sites without luck

TIA

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Banned
    They toured in 1981 and played at My Father's Place, Roslyn NY on 2/23 and the Capitol Theater, Passaic NJ 3/7. Maybe this helps to narrow it down.

Perhaps maybe it was the Lone Star Cafe?
    Last edited by Banquo; 02-01-2014 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    They toured in 1981 and played at My Father's Place, Roslyn NY on 2/23 and the Capitol Theater, Passaic NJ 3/7. Maybe this helps to narrow it down.

Perhaps maybe it was the Lone Star Cafe?
    Thanks but it was definitely 1980, and early on

Could have been the Lone Star, but I don't think so!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

The Bottom Line?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Yeah, I was just looking on Sugarmegs and saw a several shows from the Lone Star Cafe in the 80s. Nothing from '80, though.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    Well they released this in 1981, so it's not a stretch that they were touring behind it around the same time...

Well, it looks like it was the Lone Star after all, found this from a February 1980 article:

"The New Riders of the Purple Sage have made several appearances in the New York area recently. They opened for the Little River Band at the Palladium and for Charlie Daniels at Nassau Coliseum, the latter of which was broadcast locally on WLIR-FM. They also played at the Lone Star Café in New York and at a club called Speaks in Long Island."

All I need is the date now

BG

I was going to suggest a place called "Trax" it was a very popular small music club on w72st in the 80's

You do know the Palladium was on 14th st on the east side ? By Union Square IRRC.Could be it?

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    You do know the Palladium was on 14th st on the east side ? By Union Square IRRC.Could be it?

My girl lived on Grammercy Park back then, easy walking distance to the Palladium

I remember all the shows we saw there, NRPS was not one of them : )

BG