Thread: Broken China

Broken China

Following the Dave Gilmour On and Island "snooze-fest" thread.. let me throw out a question regarding Ricks last release Broken China...
    Anyone get into this one? I found it hard to latch onto it.. his first release had such a nice "70's" vibe to it I was immediately attracted to it..
    I've owned Broken China since it's original release but can't say I've spun it a dozen times since then.. can't put a finger on why it just hasn't grabbed me each time I play it.. perhaps lyrics? mood of the music... Any thoughts?

Not a great album, but there are parts of it that I like. Overall I think his first one "Wet Dream" was quite a bit better, but "Broken China" has it's moments. To be honest it has been a long time since I have listened to it. I may pull it out and give it a spin this weekend.

Jon Neudorf
    What Steve said. Haven't listened to it in a long time. Should revisit.

Regards,
    Jon

I'll be the odd man out...I think it is a beautiful album with tons of atmosphere, the likes of which were missing from both Pink Floyd and some of the Gilmour/Waters solo stuff. It is less song oriented and almost like a music painting...it played to his strengths in a way I wasn't entirely expecting.

Some of the standout moments (going from memory here) are:

Satellite, which feels almost like one of Floyd's great lost moments, except the bass is so much funkier
    Black Cloud. I try to imagine Amused to Death, with Wright's angst-ridden synth instrumentals like this added in...and it would have been such a powerful combination
    Breakthrough. The brief acoustic guitar melody leading into the first verse is simply beautiful.
    Blue Room in Venice / Sweet July. Same deal...beautiful textures with a great guitar line on top.
    Night of a Thousand Furry Toys. Love the very electronic kickoff on this song. The funky band feel is good too, although I almost would love to have heard the synth sound carry all the way through the song.

Not everything is a slam dunk...Along the Shoreline is a bit too derivative of Run Like Hell to be that great, just to name one. But overall, I think it is a terrific album, one of my favorite PF-related releases along with Amused to Death. I wish he'd had a chance to do more.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

My main description of it at the time was "a whole album of 'Wearing the Inside Out'" and I stand by that. I was bored.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I played it a few times when I got it about 5/6 years ago. I have to say I found it pretty dull then, to be honest, and much more of a 'snooze fest' than 'On An Island' (which is very mellow, as noted elsewhere, but engaging enough for me). Maybe it's grown on me since.

Very good album, I recommend it. Somber in sections I felt it could have used some more of RW piano. The band is tight and it's very atmospheric with the concept of the album being his girlfriends' ( soon to be wife, eventually ex wife), descent and eventual recovery from mental illness. Not a cheerful subject, I wonder what twists Waters would have added to it. One can only imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Not a great album, but there are parts of it that I like. Overall I think his first one "Wet Dream" was quite a bit better, but "Broken China" has it's moments. To be honest it has been a long time since I have listened to it. I may pull it out and give it a spin this weekend.
    indeed, just like Gilmour's debut album, Wright's was much better than what he did solo afterwards

Wet Dream has got a certain Alan Parsons Project to it

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    My main description of it at the time was "a whole album of 'Wearing the Inside Out'" and I stand by that. I was bored.
    Yeah, sonically it's what I remember from it as well.... Don't hate it, and I could stand that in a waiting room, instead of 99% of the crud that is played in them.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

In it's entirety I'd call it a sleeper with with just enough high points for a rainy day listen. A moody and pensive affair not for parties. . As someone else mentioned it contains the crux of necessary atmospherics missing from later pink floyd stuff.
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 02-02-2014 at 02:28 AM.
    Still alive and well...

I enjoyed it more than "Wet Dream." I'll need to give it a listen today while walking the dog.

To these ears, "Wet Dream" was plodding. It never seemed to take off. It was also the first time I heard RW's vocals unmasked by anyone else. I still have trouble listening to him. Years later when I heard him sing "Arnold Layne" I kept saying to myself, "No, no, no…"
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Good album. Much better than Wet Dreams I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I enjoyed it more than "Wet Dream." I'll need to give it a listen today while walking the dog.

To these ears, "Wet Dream" was plodding. It never seemed to take off. It was also the first time I heard RW's vocals unmasked by anyone else. I still have trouble listening to him. Years later when I heard him sing "Arnold Layne" I kept saying to myself, "No, no, no…"
    Always a big fan of his voice, especially from Wet Dream on back. Same can be said for "Wearing the Inside Out". It took a while to get used to the sound of his voice on Broken China, but it's a real good album. As for "Arnold Lane", he's an older guy whose voice had not fared well in his later years. Not many do.

Awful album. The only high points were Sinead's two vocals.

Im in the small minority that loves this album, and Wet Dream as well. I loved his voice, his playing was so sublime. Its a dark subject for sure, but i think he created an awesome album of texutres and atmosphere. Manu Katche, Pino Palladino, and Dominck Miller, seriously, killer band.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Not really a fan of this one, I love Wet Dreams, but this one is a bit more meh.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Im in the small minority that loves this album, and Wet Dream as well. I loved his voice, his playing was so sublime. Its a dark subject for sure, but i think he created an awesome album of texutres and atmosphere. Manu Katche, Pino Palladino, and Dominck Miller, seriously, killer band.
    Welcome to the club, brother
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

^^^ Thanks! A swell club it is at that!

another member of the club.. very fond of this one.. description as a music painting (Battema), works for me as the recording works best as a complete work.. :-)

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Awful album. The only high points were Sinead's two vocals.

I ddn't even remember THAT !!!

Shows you how much of a sleeper BC wad, uh??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.