Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Featured CD - Yes : Tormato

I remember clearly where I was when I listened to the album for the first time. It had already a bit of advance radio air play before the official release. With the exception of "Circus of Heaven" and "Onward", I thought the music was very good. "Release, Release" was my favorite then, and it is still is now. Matter of fact, it is my ringback tone on my phone. Today, I still like the album very much, but view it as a directionless recording containing a battle between Wakey and Howe for the lead, giving its music an unnecessary busyness. If the geezers AKA Yes would put out new music on this level, I would be very pleased.

ok Dunc... so you *really* like this album eh?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Uh-oh - I didn't realize that we'd already done this one!

Thanks for pointing it out, Luis.
    Regards,

Duncan

Banned
    Tormato is the last really great Yes LP, with the great songs* on it, though very underrated due to, I think, the lack of a 10+ minutes long song & an anti-Roger Dean album cover.

*For example, On the Silent Wings of Freedom is, in my opinion, in the same league with the songs like I'v Seen All Good People, Rondabout , The Heart of The Sunrise...
    Last edited by Svetonio; 12-27-2015 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    the late 70's weren't really a creative time for Yes. i guess the band was out of ideas after doing their solo albums.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    i totally disagree with what i wrote almost 2 years ago. thanks for bumping this. Tormato is an album that was ahead of it's time. had it came out 10 years later it would have been more successful and have a bigger impact. i thought the sound was innovative by bringing the keyboards & bass into the front of the mix. i think all the songs are great, they just don't blend together well. but separately they deliver. there's also alot more into the sound via production and engineering. i think i'm gonna get the remaster.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    i totally disagree with what i wrote almost 2 years ago. thanks for bumping this. Tormato is an album that was ahead of it's time. had it came out 10 years later it would have been more successful and have a bigger impact. i thought the sound was innovative by bringing the keyboards & bass into the front of the mix. i think all the songs are great, they just don't blend together well. but separately they deliver. there's also alot more into the sound via production and engineering. i think i'm gonna get the remaster.
    I remember reading a review in New Musical Express on release and it said exactly that, ahead of its time!
    Though it was Horne, Downes and Rabin that took them into 80's!

^The NME in 1978 giving Tormato a positive review seems like one for the 'yeah, right' department.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Turn of the Century I like far more, then Awaken. That "eastern" riff sounds so poppy to me, and the ending "Master of.." is just weak. The organ bit, however, is the strongest moment.
    Holy shite! To each his own but that part makes of Awaken makes my spine tingle and lifts my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^The NME in 1978 giving Tormato a positive review seems like one for the 'yeah, right' department.
    Still have it, Drama also got good reviews! For some reason they weren't as revered by journalists as much as ELP et al. It's critism was more towards its production which still exists to this. Most people forget that Tormato went platinum and a very successful tour followed!
    Last edited by Rufus; 12-27-2015 at 06:37 PM.

Don't think Tormato is ahead of it;s time--far from it---they had shot their creative wad with Relayer and GFTO---they were all sick of one another and using new gadgets that the inventors were throwing at them and hoping they would lend their name to---Jon was sick of the critics thinking they were over the top pretentious so wanted to do simpler songs with mixed results---BUT--I still enjoy it and think OTSWOF --especially Squire, WHite and Howe's work in the beginning is great instrumental which I had always hoped they could do again---is almost a great song but sort of falls apart towards the last third.

It sounds better in the context of some of their later albums. But being blunt, I don't think there's one thing on it I'd call a classic.

Probably the first Yes album I heard. Still love Onward, Arriving UFO, OTSWOF. Even Circus of Heaven is OK til you get to the last few seconds!

Aside of first two tracks, and Madrigal, which is my favorite, nothing grabbed me. Rather mediocre album. The weakest of their 69-80 bunch.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Turn of the Century I like far more, then Awaken. That "eastern" riff sounds so poppy to me, and the ending "Master of.." is just weak. The organ bit, however, is the strongest moment.
    I love Awaken. But I agree, Turn of the Century is the best thing on GFTO, if not in their entire catalogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Uh-oh - I didn't realize that we'd already done this one!

Thanks for pointing it out, Luis.
    no worries, I thought it was rather comical

but... umm... my name aint "Luis"
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Now we have two threads about it going! The new and the old! Excellent! Viva Tormato!

Thanks for the inspiration, Luis!

It was interesting to see who posted 2 years ago and this time and if their opinions changed

but hey... I know there are only so many Prog albums in the world. Sometimes ya gotta repeat

Very underrated album.