Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best new Prog-metal bands?

Best new Prog-metal bands?

A genre of music I need to explore more. Discounting the old gaurd of Dream Theater, Queensryche, Magellan, Savatage etc, which prog-metal bands have emerged over the more recent years that should be heared?

One highlight that I am aware of is Headspace whose debut in 2012 was excellent. Pleased to hear theyr'e working on the follow-up!!

Adam Wakeman has released a studio update video in which he discusses the making of the upcoming Headspace album. View it below.

The keyboardist, vocalist Damian Wilson and guitarist Pete Rinaldi are at work on the follow-up to I Am Anonymous, expected for release later this year.

Wakeman admits: “I’m not playing you any of the music. That will be coming in August, all being well. Damien Wilson will be recording vocals next week.” Despite that, he offers a sneak preview of a track with the working title Fatty Hoodoo.

Also featured is a guided tour of the band’s studio and storage space, and Wakeman’s admission that “Pete will kill me” if he attempts to record his own guitar parts for the album.

Headspace formed in 2006 with Lee Pomeroy and Richard Brook filling out the lineup. They released an EP entitled I Am in 2007 before the launch of I Am Anonymous in 2012.
    Last edited by Rufus; 01-21-2014 at 07:45 AM.

Circle of Illusion
    Heart of Cygnus
    Midgar
    Beyond the Bridge
    Marching Mind
    To-Mera
    Haken
    Andromeda
    The Last Void
    Jolly
    Amaran's Plight

Quote Originally Posted by yesrushdt View Post
    Circle of Illusion
    Heart of Cygnus
    Midgar
    Beyond the Bridge
    Marching Mind
    To-Mera
    Haken
    Andromeda
    The Last Void
    Jolly
    Amaran's Plight
    Thanks! Certainly Haken is a name that keeps coming up & I know Roine Stolt also rates them highly. Another name that is mentioned within the genre is Periphery? If it helps I prefer metal-prog that also incorporates some subtle & gentle melodies/moments/structures etc. in their songs!

Headspace is indeed excellent. Looking forward to a new one by them.

I would like to add my voice to the choir of those praising Haken. All three of their albums are excellent, and they definitely incorporate gentle and melodic moments into their music. Their new one, The Mountain, is an extremely good place to start.

Among of the very best currently active prog-metal bands are: Perennial Quest, Eumeria, Inner Odyssey.

Depends on what is "new", anyway... the ones that havent been mentioned
    Leprous, no doubt.
    Pagan's Mind Celestial and Enigmatic, after that they swithched to power/melodic which is a let down IMO.
    Circus Maximus Chapter and Isolate.
    Krnivool!!
    Dianoya-Obscurity (to some extent)
    Opeth.
    Symphony X.
    Tesseract

Jolly dont quite fall into progmetal, me think. Apart from Firewell, which is a superb number! And video of that is a killer.
    Last edited by sergio; 01-21-2014 at 03:35 PM.

hope on the next one they'll mix drums properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    A genre of music I need to explore more. Discounting the old gaurd of Dream Theater, Queensryche, Magellan, Savatage etc, which prog-metal bands have emerged over the more recent years that should be heared?

One highlight that I am aware of is Headspace whose debut in 2012 was excellent. Pleased to hear theyr'e working on the follow-up!!

Adam Wakeman has released a studio update video in which he discusses the making of the upcoming Headspace album. View it below.

The keyboardist, vocalist Damian Wilson and guitarist Pete Rinaldi are at work on the follow-up to I Am Anonymous, expected for release later this year.

Wakeman admits: “I’m not playing you any of the music. That will be coming in August, all being well. Damien Wilson will be recording vocals next week.” Despite that, he offers a sneak preview of a track with the working title Fatty Hoodoo.

Also featured is a guided tour of the band’s studio and storage space, and Wakeman’s admission that “Pete will kill me” if he attempts to record his own guitar parts for the album.

Headspace formed in 2006 with Lee Pomeroy and Richard Brook filling out the lineup. They released an EP entitled I Am in 2007 before the launch of I Am Anonymous in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    Jolly dont quite fall into progmetal, me think. Apart from Firewell, which is a superb number! And video of that is a killer.
    Have you heard their first album "46 minutes, 12 seconds of music"? Certainly heavier then their last two.

hmmm... no. I'll see what I can find

Quote Originally Posted by yesrushdt View Post
    Have you heard their first album "46 minutes, 12 seconds of music"? Certainly heavier then their last two.

how about I add Diablo Swing Orchestra to the mix... limitless fun!

You might like David Maxim Micic ... his bilo series are excellent!

Shamefull selfpromotion....

Though i don't know if you can call a band that's almost 6 albums in an new band....
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Aeon Zen - Enigma

Alessandro Bertoni – Keystone

Prog-metal fusion, with Ric Ric Fierabracci and Virgil Donati. Produced by Derek Sherinian.

Caligula’s Horse – The Tide, the Thief, and River’s End

Combines crushing rifs with softer moments. Really solid.

Constantine – Resign Due

great melodies, tons of crunch and some seriously beautiful songwriting and acoustic playing. Resign Due is just fantastic from the first note to the last and is one

Cynthesis – ReEvolution

3rd release from Tipton brothers, previously from Zero Hour. Complex, dark, angular, great.

Prospekt – The Colourless Sunrise

One of my favorites from 2013. Dark and emotional. Some great melodies that build nicely. The vocals are strong.

TesseracT – Altered State
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    how about I add Diablo Swing Orchestra to the mix... limitless fun!
    I was going to suggest them, great band. Also on outer edges of the genre I'd add

Unexpect
    Stolen Babies
    Alamaailman Vasarat
    Behold.... The Arctopus
    Animals As Leaders
    Zevious

Ok that last one is jazz but man they are heavy
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

In Vain
    Ne Obliviscaris
    Journal
    Vektor
    Orphaned Land
    Persefone
    Hands of Despair
    Oddland
    Last edited by mnprogger; 01-24-2014 at 05:13 AM.

I'm so happy to see TesseracT mentioned a few times, I just love their current album. I need some decent melodies in my metal, and they certainly deliver in that regard.

Always have to give a nod to Chimp Spanner for this crowd:

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I was going to suggest them, great band. Also on outer edges of the genre I'd add

Unexpect
    Stolen Babies
    Alamaailman Vasarat
    Behold.... The Arctopus
    Animals As Leaders
    Zevious

Ok that last one is jazz but man they are heavy
    Great list that I would wholeheartedly second.

Others mentioned that I'd nominate include Leprous and Haken. Karnivool is great, very Riverside/PT sounding. I fell off the TesseracT band wagon due to the god awful clean singing in their latest - vomit.

The best way to work these haphazard recommendations is to sample the genre like you are working your way through the salad bar and then reply here with what you've enjoyed. That will allows us to respond with similar artists you could continue to try.

Good luck and enjoy!
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I fell off the TesseracT band wagon due to the god awful clean singing in their latest - vomit.
    What a ridiculous comment, the guy has a great voice! I guess growling sounds better in your universe. I admit at first I thought it was a female vocalist, but it didn't matter, I loved his singing. In fact the very idea of melodic, clean harmonizing (obviously overdubbing here) is what attracted me to TesseracT. They have such a different sound than most prog-metal, totally works for me. Funny, though, someone referring to clean (i.e. normal) vocals as vomit.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    What a ridiculous comment, the guy has a great voice! I guess growling sounds better in your universe. I admit at first I thought it was a female vocalist, but it didn't matter, I loved his singing. In fact the very idea of melodic, clean harmonizing (obviously overdubbing here) is what attracted me to TesseracT. They have such a different sound than most prog-metal, totally works for me. Funny, though, someone referring to clean (i.e. normal) vocals as vomit.
    Actually I was only referring to his clean-singing as vomit. I love all different styles of vocals in the right context. TesseracT's music works best with extreme, aggressive vocals, just like 99% of the Djent bands out there. So, not only does the clean-singing not fit the music but he, IMHO, sucks at it, hence the vomit.

np: Mel Torme - Lulu's Back In Town

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Always have to give a nod to Chimp Spanner for this crowd:

Good stuff.I sure as hell don't know much about metal,prog or otherwise,but this, i dig.I ordered their latest cd(EP).
    Last edited by walt; 01-25-2014 at 02:59 PM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Not 100% prog necessarily, although they've told me they don't mind the label. The Mariana Hollow from the UK.

Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Good stuff.I sure as hell don't know much about metal,prog or otherwise,but this, i dig.I ordered their latest cd(EP).
    Both the EP and the previous full length are terrific, walt....glad you enjoyed it

From the "a little something for everyone" file...here's one for Just Eric, simply dripping with vomit-esque clean vocals and soft melodic work. The preview track from Cult Leader, the new band that came about when Gaza split up:

A little on the sleepy side for me, but I suppose I will check it out nonetheless
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

First, Gaza split up??? How did I miss that!

Second, there is a HUGE difference between vocals that make me vomit, ala TesseracT clean singing, and those that sound like vomit, ala Cult Leader. If you haven't guessed, I much prefer the latter, mostly because they kick ass, but also because I personally do not like to vomit.