Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Annie Wilson - National Anthem

Quote Originally Posted by prglvr View Post
    I don't think any other country sings their anthems as we do.
    You can put than down to "American Exceptionalism."
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post

Imagine there's no country...
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

Imagine there's no country.....
    ...and no religion, too.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I have been to live sporting events where the National Anthem literally sent chills up my spine in the hands of certain singers. I have also been to events where it was totally botched. Most of the time the performers are somewhere in the middle. Every time that I have had a “chills” moment has been when it was sung pretty much straight up without any attempt at improvisation. The woman who sings the anthem at Detroit Red Wings games is one that nails it every time just singing it straight. One of most amazing versions I have ever heard was at a NASCAR race when Avril Lavine sang it (and Oh Canada). I am not a fan, but she blew the whole crowd of about 170,000 people away, and was one of the loudest ovations for the anthem I have ever heard.

I thought Wilson did ok, but as I mentioned earlier, I was watching in a room full of people and we she hit that “Freee” moment, literally every head in the room turned and looked at the tv. It would have been better had she not done that, but yea I guess we are probably a little over picky here.

Steve Sly

Part of me agrees with the notion of having a certain respect for the anthem; and yet part of what makes Amuhrica cool is that fact that our anthem isn't a hymn to the State, .............. Even when I hate hearing it I love that that's the way we do it here
    Good points there. In what other country can you burn the flag and make a mockery of the National Anthem without being arrested? I'm glad we have that freedom, even though I'd never burn the flag or make a mockery of the National Anthem. I really think it all started with Rosanne Barr's performance way back when. Yeah, it was comedic, and blah blah, but the fans didn't think it was funny and booed her mercilessly (which she, and the idiots who dreamed up this ridiculous idea in the first place deserved).

Serviceable, but nothing special, imo. No goose bumps.

National anthems are potent political symbols that serve to assert a unified, stable national identity. But, in a pluralistic society, whose identity? I always interpret a "straight" reading less as "tradition" than as conformance, a sonic signifier of the status quo. So, for me, taking liberties with it is the point, a demotic act of appropriation--"going crazy with it"--by which the supposedly monolithic meanings of a national symbol are subverted, but are no less patriotic.

Here's my personal fave rendition, in which the "Old World" 3-quarter time is rendered obsolete by the "New World" 4:

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

My personal favorite version was by Jose Feliciano in the 1968 World Series. It was very, very controversial back then and he was booed for bringing a latin tinge to it, as only Jose could do it. By today's standards, it seems tame and is really touching.

Times have certainly changed.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Never heard that Marvin Gaye version before.

Tops my list now as well.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

OK, here's how a pro does it! LESLIE HUNT of District 97, at Wrigley Field. She's a Chicago treasure.

And the Land of the FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Ernie, I don't care in I never hear a national anthem , from any country, ever again. I am a citizen of the world!
    +2 (or 3, or whatever the tally is now). I wish everyone felt this way. It's too bad we're such slaves to our tribal instincts.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    LESLIE HUNT of District 97, at Wrigley Field. She's a Chicago treasure.
    Unlike many who don't deserve it, Leslie has justifiably become an international treasure now imo.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    +2 (or 3, or whatever the tally is now). I wish everyone felt this way. It's too bad we're such slaves to our tribal instincts.
    Amen to that. +3, or 4, or wherever we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Okay I played the video. Christ guys, it wasn't that bad. You guys make it sound like she extended the "free" part an extra minute and did all kinds of insane undulations.
    yeah right?

Perhaps she should not be allowed the freedom to be so passionate.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Amen to that. +3, or 4, or wherever we are.
    add me as a non-nationalist, world citizen
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I'm not a political person, so I'd do away with anthems before sporting events altogether.
    BRAVO!

However, if it truly is "to honour America" as the PA person always says, then show some respect. Singers: sing it correctly, as written. Audience: Don't start screaming during the "...and the rockets red glare..." portion . Remain silent until the end, then applaud. As I stated before, you want the anthem done right, get a military singer to do it. They show it all the respect it deserves while still belting it out.
    well... that could then draw a fine line between 'a song about the place I happen to live in this world' and 'a sacred religious invocation to an idol/god/nation'

Artists should be allowed to do it however they choose... I like Hendrix's version myself

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post

I think it's pretty good!! Yeah, she kind of spun a curveball at the "FREEEEEEE", but the rest is great.
    Indeed, she fucked up with the "free", but the rest is just as much a yawner as usual

I know ot musta've been cooooold, but despite the winter protection, it looks like Annie is losing the waistwaycher battle
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post

Originally Posted by Yves

However, if it truly is "to honour America" as the PA person always says, then show some respect. Singers: sing it correctly, as written. Audience: Don't start screaming during the "...and the rockets red glare..." portion . Remain silent until the end, then applaud. As I stated before, you want the anthem done right, get a military singer to do it. They show it all the respect it deserves while still belting it out.
    well... that could then draw a fine line between 'a song about the place I happen to live in this world' and 'a sacred religious invocation to an idol/god/nation'

Artists should be allowed to do it however they choose... I like Hendrix's version myself
    Right on!! Never was topped

However, I must say that the over-repetitioon of national anthemsis quite sickening .... That I know of, this is hardly the case in western Europe: it's only played on special occasions, like international matches, not major national league matches (or FTM, even the EC anthem is hardly ever played)

I remelmber that in high school, the national anthem and even a prayer were played every fucing morning!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I remelmber that in high school, the national anthem and even a prayer were played every fucing morning!!
    Well, that certainly reminds us that things could be worse. Could you imagine if they started each game with a prayer?

Personally, I'd rather hear "America the Beautiful" (even though it has the "G" word) instead of a song that glorifies war.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Originally Posted by Trane

Well, that certainly reminds us that things could be worse. Could you imagine if they started each game with a prayer?

Personally, I'd rather hear "America the Beautiful" (even though it has the "G" word) instead of a song that glorifies war.

high school was Ontario Canada for me...

Renee Fleming tapped to sing the anthem at the Super Bowl..Like her version of "Mad World"..

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Even in tribes, there is always someone who wants to be chief. Human nature hasn't evolved to the extent where we can all be TRULY equal, and I doubt it ever will. As anthems go, I like ours a lot. It is a homage to the people (in its truest form, as opposed to "the masses" in totalitarian states), it's martial theme demonstrates that we had to work and sacrifice for it, as opposed to having it given to us without a struggle. It is hard as Hell to sing. As stated several times, the best renditions are usually from singers in the military, who give it the respect it represents.

That said, I also hve no problems with different approaches. As the poster above said, in a pluralistic society, we can expect (indeed, welcome) different interpretations, as long as the respect remains. Like Ronmac, I too remember the Jose Feliciano version back in 1968, and living in South Florida with its large Cuban influence, couldn't understand the hoopla surrounding it. I suppose too many people weere accustomed to hearing Robert Merrill's tenor belting it out at Yankee Stadium, and somehow expected the anthem to be operatic.

I thought Ann Wilson's rendition was great, even if she got carried away by the emotions on FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. At least it wasn't Roseanne Barr's insulting version, but I honestly don't think Roseanne was trying to make a political statement. I just think she was trying to be funny, and it horribly backfired on her.
    Last edited by cavgator; 01-22-2014 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    BRAVO!

So do I, but Jimi chose the right venue for his political statement, and it was appropriate. If Hendrix would have agreed to play it during an event where the rendition is meant to honor America, that would have been different, and personally, I don't think Hendrix was anywhere NEAR that radical (heck, he was a paratrooper with the 101st Airborne). That was more the belief of that guy whom Pete Townshend beat off the stage, Abbie Hoffman.

For those of you who like the anthem all "American Idolized" let me ask you this: The Olympics are coming up. Do you want your anthem to be belted out like a pop tune during medal ceremonies, while other nations will have discreet instrumental versions?

I know some of you will say "Hell ya!"... that's America.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

For those of you who like the anthem all "American Idolized" let me ask you this: The Olympics are coming up. Do you want your anthem to be belted out like a pop tune during medal ceremonies, while other nations will have discreet instrumental versions?

I know some of you will say "Hell ya!"... that's America.
    Different venue. That is definitely an instrumental...

Yeah, the Olympics always use an instrumental, which, IMO, is entirely appropriate. It's supposed to be an apolitical event and instrumentals keep it that way.

Nothing beats this version of the anthem. So moving... still brings tears to my eyes...