Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's with the US postal service these days?

What's with the US postal service these days?

I've been getting packages from overseas to Canada in under a week lately, but the U.S. shipments are taking ages!

Here's my latest tracking info for a pair of CDs I ordered from Greg Walker at Synphonic:

Capturezz.JPG

... It's now the 17th. TEN days after it was shipped, it's further away from me than when he mailed it. I've been blaming Canada Post (a hobby of mine) but it seems it's the USPS to blame these days. What the hell is up with that? Their international rates skyrocketed last year but the service took a nosedive. This is why I've been looking more and more to the European vendors if I can't find a title in Canada. Appalling service, and no excuse for it IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Appalling service, and no excuse for it IMO.
    Well, maybe not excuses, but there are plenty of reasons. While the USPS certainly has some responsibility here, their budgets have been gutted for years and they are deliberately being undermined by red politicians looking to privatize everything.

http://www.ibtimes.com/usps-deficit-...service-303682
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Interesting article, thanks for posting that. I do wonder though, with such a dramatic jump in the postage rate for international mail, why the service is even worse than it was when it was cheaper? That increase seriously crippled my online shopping whims, and I've no doubt those vendors have felt the sting from others like me who simply can't justify nine dollars shipping for one CD. I do occasionally shop anyway, when I've let some 'wanted' titles build up, as the shipping charge is not as bad with multiple items. But now I'll be even more on the lookout to the UK/European vendors, because not only is the shipping far more reasonable, the service is far better. Such a shame.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Interesting article, thanks for posting that. I do wonder though, with such a dramatic jump in the postage rate for international mail, why the service is even worse than it was when it was cheaper? That increase seriously crippled my online shopping whims, and I've no doubt those vendors have felt the sting from others like me who simply can't justify nine dollars shipping for one CD. I do occasionally shop anyway, when I've let some 'wanted' titles build up, as the shipping charge is not as bad with multiple items. But now I'll be even more on the lookout to the UK/European vendors, because not only is the shipping far more reasonable, the service is far better. Such a shame.
    Funny you ask. We're actually going to have a stamp increase next week. I was at the post office yesterday and I mentioned to the clerk how I recalled when it went up to 8 cents, and how I still considered it a great bargain to have a letter personally delivered 3000 miles away for 49 cents. He mentioned that the reason postage increases were less-seldom years ago was because the USPS was taxpayer-funded. Now, they are forced to generate their own revenue. Hence, the more frequent increases. And, of course, they didn't have the competition they now have.

This is the result of a decades-long effort by certain anti-government political and corporate interests to gut the USPS and drive them out of business. (Yeah, I know, "political" and "corporate" are essentially synonymous.)
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    deliberately being undermined by red politicians looking to privatize everything.
    Does every thread need to turn into a moonbat screed?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    No, not at all. It is the truth and relevant to the OP. You don't have to take it personally.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yes.

I experienced more problems during this years Christmas season that I can ever recall. Spent a lot of time on the phone getting clarification on slow and confusing online tracking updates. And it wasn't just limited to the US Postal service quite a few UPS packages were not arriving as expected. I believe these service providers are just understaffed and extremely overwhelmed and it all comes down to profit margins while keeping shipping cost as low as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator1634 View Post
    I experienced more problems during this years Christmas season that I can ever recall. Spent a lot of time on the phone getting clarification on slow and confusing online tracking updates. And it wasn't just limited to the US Postal service quite a few UPS packages were not arriving as expected. I believe these service providers are just understaffed and extremely overwhelmed and it all comes down to profit margins while keeping shipping cost as low as possible.
    UPS and FedEx both had significant problems this past holiday season.

The post office sucks, and have gotten worse. I say this being the son of a former letter carrier. My Dad did that thankless job for 27 years, and he was treated like crap, but it was a steady job. Two of my brothers for several years each until they got wise. With my job, I deal with a lot of warranty items being shipped by the USPS, and they take forever. My beef with the USPS is that they continue to lose billions of dollars a year, they get zero sympathy from me. I think their time is done, and in a few years time, all mail service will be private. And we wont like it at first, but will get used to the "new model" of mail delivery and not pine for the old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    The post office sucks, and have gotten worse. I say this being the son of a former letter carrier. My Dad did that thankless job for 27 years, and he was treated like crap, but it was a steady job. Two of my brothers for several years each until they got wise. With my job, I deal with a lot of warranty items being shipped by the USPS, and they take forever. My beef with the USPS is that they continue to lose billions of dollars a year, they get zero sympathy from me. I think their time is done, and in a few years time, all mail service will be private. And we wont like it at first, but will get used to the "new model" of mail delivery and not pine for the old days.
    http://www.newsmax.com/US/post-offic...5/28/id/506654

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    My Dad did that thankless job for 27 years, and he was treated like crap, but it was a steady job.
    Does "thankless" include the money/benefits that he was paid to do his job? Because raising a large family doesn't come cheap. Maybe you should appreciate that. There are folks working pallets of groceries at 3:00 am everyday for $8/hr to feed their families, so I don't really feel sorry for the guy who stuffs my mailbox.

I know someone who's uncle was a mail carrier in a city neighborhood. He walked the streets to deliver and did it for so many years, that he was able to get totally smashed on Vodka every day (which left no trace on his breath) and never miss a step.

Banned
    I know someone who's uncle was a mail carrier in a city neighborhood. He walked the streets to deliver and did it for so many years, that he was able to get totally smashed on Vodka every day (which left no trace on his breath) and never miss a step.
    OK, let's not understate the importance of a mail carrier's job just because that person's uncle was a drunk. Even though it's not particularly hard or stressful, especially in exchange for the pay, it's still an honest living.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    OK, let's not understate the importance of a mail carrier's job just because that person's uncle was a drunk. Even though it's not particularly hard or stressful, especially in exchange for the pay, it's still an honest living.
    I wasn't doing that at all. I was simply sharing an anecdote.

I have the utmost respect for the postal service. I can mail a letter across the country for 49 cents. There is no better bargain. I would gladly pay more. I would also have no problem if they eliminated Saturday delivery to save money, even though many of those who have an ax to grind about the USPS would be the first ones to bitch about it.

And, to suggest that working at the USPS isn't particularly stressful, I would beg to differ.

I would also have no problem if they eliminated Saturday delivery to save money, even though many of those who have an ax to grind about the USPS would be the first ones to bitch about it.
    Man, I always forget you guys have that until someone mentions it. I'd love Saturday mail delivery. Because I order SO much music online all the time, I'm a daily mailbox checker, and when something doesn't arrive on Friday, it really sucks knowing I'm waiting until at least Monday (or Tuesday, often, since so many holidays fall on Mondays).

Banned
    And, to suggest that working at the USPS isn't particularly stressful, I would beg to differ.
    Perhaps it might be stressful for someone who has a hard time taking direction or is unable to complete simple tasks for $25/hr.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    THANK YOU!

I had to jump all over my post office-not because of late packages, but because of destroyed packages. these included a package that was supposed to be a fossil from China being torn apart and two carburators for a chainsaw being jammed into it (no fossil), a broken frame glass and a Roger Dean book that arrived looking like someone ran over it with a mail truck. The Postal Inspector said because of the fact the packages did not have the "sorry we damaged your package" note on it, it must have happened at some point after it went out for delivery to my house. All I know is I was PISSED!
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 01-26-2014 at 01:09 AM. Reason: DIE CHEESECAKE THIEF!
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    THANK YOU!

I had to jump all over my post office-not because of late packages, but because of destroyed packages. these included a package that was supposed to be a fossil from China being torn apart and two carburators for a chainsaw being jammed into it (no fossil), a broken frame glass and a Roger Dean book that arrived looking like someone ran over it with a mail truck. The Postal Inspector said because of the fact the packages did not have the "sorry we damaged your package" note on it, it must have happened at some point after it went out for delivery to my house. All I know is I was PISSED!
    International shipments are notoriously opened before they even get to the States. So, it's pretty hard to put the blame on anyone specifically.

For that which is not,
    there is no coming into being
    and for that which is,
    there is no ceasing to be;
    yea of both of these the lookers into truth have seen an end.
    Bhagavad Gita

More paranoid propaganda from the Right.

This last statement in that article epitomizes the total nonsense, with the sole purpose of inciting the lemmings:

While the government gears up for civil unrest and stockpiles ammo without limit, private gun owners on the other hand are finding ammunition shelves empty at gun stores across America, including shortages of once-common cartridges such as .22 Long Rifle.

The truth:

http://news.msn.com/rumors/rumor-us-...n-civil-unrest
    Last edited by ronmac; 02-06-2014 at 01:00 PM.

More paranoid propaganda from the Right.
    I think the best part of any paranoid fear mongering like this is the straight-faced assumption that the bureaucracy that can't even deliver your mail correctly will be able to instantly spring into militarized action

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    I think the best part of any paranoid fear mongering like this is the straight-faced assumption that the bureaucracy that can't even deliver your mail correctly will be able to instantly spring into militarized action
    Hmmm, I have no problem with deliveries.

I'm afraid you may have no better luck ordering from the UK. I've been reading on a different forum of a guy in Armenia who has been waiting for several packages from the UK for over 11 weeks. This may or may not have something to do with the recent privatization of the Post Office. I've had parcels go missing within the UK in the last couple of weeks which never used to happen.

Hmmm, I have no problem with deliveries.
    Knowing other people who have zero problems, and other people who have myriad, I think it can really depend on your specific Post Office. I sometimes get days with out mail because it was raining, too hot, postal worker had to wash their hair, etc. I live in a building with 7 other units, so I don't think it's a coincidence when no one in the building gets mail for a day. This doesn't surprise me at all, considering the state of affairs in the PO itself (some of these reviews are fairly accurate to what I have experienced).