Thread: The Bob Dylan Thread

^^ Great review! Thanks.

Here's the setlist. And what a set list it is:

Things Have Changed
    Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
    Highway 61 Revisited
    It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
    High Water (For Charley Patton)
    I Could Have Told You (Frank Sinatra cover)
    Early Roman Kings
    Love Sick
    Tangled Up in Blue
    Lonesome Day Blues
    Make You Feel My Love
    Pay in Blood
    Melancholy Mood (Frank Sinatra cover)
    Desolation Row
    Soon After Midnight
    All or Nothing at All (Frank Sinatra cover)
    Long and Wasted Years
    Autumn Leaves (Yves Montand cover)

Encore:
    Blowin' in the Wind
    Why Try to Change Me Now
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

He was in Durham NC last week. I didn't go but a friend of mine did and said Bob was excellent.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Today is kind of the perfect day to spin some Bob.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

His voice no longer sounds like it's almost dead. He sounds better than he did last time I saw him. I wondered if he was doing that almost-dead voice, previously, intentionally. whatever, he's in great voice now. and he's turned into a good performer, just being a singer. After the performance of the first 2 or 3 songs were great, I wondered if it this going to continue, and it did. Our entire show was excellent.

I never listened to him. A little before my time and no one else I know listened to him. BUT, Ronmac, I think it was, posted one of his songs lyrics after he won that award and I was extremely impressed with his writing abilities. It was better than most lyrics I have read.

Got give the guy props for that.

^^ I'm guessing that was "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall."

Although, "Visions of Johanna" was posted as well. Another fine example. So much to choose from.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

So has anyone got the behemoth box of the 1966 shows?

I know the 'real' Royal Albert Hall show has had a stand-alone release, how does this compare with the famous Manchester show (known on bootlegs as the Royal Albert Hall show)?

While I initially thought that a 36CD box set of live Dylan from 1966 is a completely ridiculous idea, I ended up buying it anyway because the price turned out to be very reasonable at around 3 euros per disc, it is from my favourite Dylan period, and I also am one of those wackos who actually really enjoy Dylan's vocal delivery.

So far, I've listened to the first soundboard (Sydney) and first audience recording (White Plains) twice each. The Sydney show is very intense and quite different to the previously released Manchester gig. Ballad of a Thin Man is particularly venomous with various minor alterations to the lyrics and Bob's voice right in the listener's face in the soundboard mix. This one was definitely worth listening.

On the other hand, the White Plains disc sounds about as bad as you'd expect a 50-year old audience recording to sound like (fortunately there are only five CDs worth of audience tapes in the box), and cuts off during the second song of the electric set, but captures some interesting audience reactions, like a few stoned-sounding folks near the taper completely falling apart with laughter when Bob has some fun with the harmonica solo during Desolation Row, or the crowd applauding particular lines during Visions of Johanna which they must have been hearing for the first time because Blonde on Blonde hadn't been released yet.

The best sounding recordings and the most controversial shows are still to come, so I think I'm going to be spending some interesting time with this box!

I've been on a Dylan kick lately. I've been listening to his more overlooked albums like "Shot of Love" and "Empire Burlesque".

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

^^^ We are very surprised. And BBC confirmes.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38003818

"due to pre-existing commitments".

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    So has anyone got the behemoth box of the 1966 shows?

I know the 'real' Royal Albert Hall show has had a stand-alone release, how does this compare with the famous Manchester show (known on bootlegs as the Royal Albert Hall show)?
    Mine's stilll on its way from amazon France, where I got the best price. Hopefully by week's end...

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I've been on a Dylan kick lately. I've been listening to his more overlooked albums like "Shot of Love" and "Empire Burlesque".
    Neither of these would make my top 15 by Bob, but both are solid. Great final tracks on each.

Both are very under rated in my opinion.

Bill

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I mentioned this once in another thread a long time ago, but I want to mention it again because IMO it gives an idea of Dylan's personality that I'd never known. I'm sure if I'd read a biography I'd know more, but I just liked this.

Jules Shear was talking about sessions he did with The Band, and one of the members of The Band told him about the recording of The Basement Tapes. He said they brought in a sax player because they needed some sax, but this guy also played guitar AT THE SAME TIME as he played sax. Dylan watched him do this for a little while, then said "I can't be in the same room while you do that." He said "It's fine, just stay out of my field of vision." I'm paraphrasing a bit -- I just thought that was really funny.

I just recently realized how good Street Legal is once you get past the first song. I also really like Down in the Groove and Knocked Out Loaded. I even like Self-Portrait. Where else can you hear Bob duet with himself?

I still struggle with Self Portrait. I'm perfectly fine with the other three. Brownsville Girl is epic! I love his version of Shenandoah and I have never had a problem with anything from Street Legal.

Bill

I like Self-Portrait because it's so unlike everything else he's done. he said he loaded it up with crap, but his crap is often gooooood stuff.

Bootleg Series Vol. 13.

‘Trouble No More - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979-1981’ showcases one of the richest periods of Bob Dylan’s career, with 100 previously unreleased live and studio tracks, including 14 unreleased songs, across eight CDs, plus a DVD featuring ‘Trouble No More: A Musical Film. 2CD and 4LP editions featuring 30 live highlights from the 1979, 1980 and 1981 tours will also be available; all sets will be released November 3:

https://bob-dylan-us.myshopify.com/

I don't really know anything about this period. Should I be excited?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I don't really know anything about this period. Should I be excited?
    This is Zimmy's born-again Christian period. Could be interesting; I've heard that the live shows were...something.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I always spring for these. That Trouble No More box alluded to above turned out to be a monster, and gave me a new appreciation of the born-again period. I found last year's Blood on the Tracks set oddly disappointing--too many repetitions of the same handful of songs, with only a few boasting really important variations. The only thing that gives me a little pause about this new set is that they already covered this tour in the Bootleg Series, albeit on a much smaller scale.

I'm happy with the two-disc set from the Bootleg Series.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I'm happy with the two-disc set from the Bootleg Series.
    I had assumed that this new set was also going to be part of the Bootleg Series, but it doesn't appear to be billed as such. I guess it's a stand-alone box set, like the 1966 one from a few years back.

Amazing. I've been going through my Bob Dylan collection this week and see this thread resurrected. I only have ten Bob Dylan albums. That'll do me. This morning listening to Highway 61.