Thread: Twenty-first century popularity of prog in comparison

Twenty-first century popularity of prog in comparison

How popular has prog been this century, in comparison with other twentieth-century rock styles?

I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to compare it to, but broadly speaking, 21st century progressive rock is not popular by any stretch of the definition. There are a few breakout and crossover artists that identify as progressive rock such as The Mars Volta, etc., but the vast majority of artists discussed here are not popular and/or identified by many of their fans as another genre (indie, metal, etc.)
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I suppose Rush has a higher profile this century even if it isn't their creative high point.

For me personally, The last decade of prog is more fulfilling than anytime since the decade of the 70's. There was a hiccup for me through the 80's and 90's, but I feel that the genre is making gains the last few years. I think that Haken is going to be a band to gain some recognition in the coming years in the progworld. The problem is this, not enough music lovers have as good of taste as us prog lovers. Maybe turmoil in the world will lead to folks looking toward music with deeper meaning.

It's all relative to your tastes/values; everything has become so fractionalized that unless you're watching or using the syndicated music channels as your benchmark, who really cares about influence in a broader context?

For instance, how do contemporary sales of classic prog albums of the 70s compare with contemporary sales of other albums that had similar commercial success at the time? What sells more now, 70s prog or 70s new wave?