Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RHCP to perform with Bruno Mars at Super Bowl

RHCP to perform with Bruno Mars at Super Bowl

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-at-super-bowl

I may actually watch the halftime show if this falls into place. I've always liked the Chili Peppers; Bruno Mars...NOT.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Bruno Mars goes beyond just being a modern pop singer: he is easily one of the most talented musical entertainers of this generation and his music (if you have ever really listened to it) also goes beyond the standard pop fare on his album's deeper cuts....You dont have to like him, but I dont think he should be just "written off" as an entertainer, even if paired with RHCP

Last edited by klothos; 01-11-2014 at 11:12 AM.

Banned
    I like this. Bruno Mars is a shining pearl in the sea of shit that is the current music industry.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Have you ever really listened to Bruno Mars? Have you ever objectively listened to his music? Have you ever seen any of his skits and sketches on TV (such as SNL)? Do you really know what he is capable of?

Bruno Mars is easily one of the most talented musical entertainers of this generation....You dont have to like him, but I dont think he should be just "written off" as an entertainer if paired with RHCP
    Agreed! My girlfriend became infatuated with him after seeing him host SNL, so I downloaded his first album for her and his second when it came out a few months later. I don't like all of his tunes, but there's some really good ones and he can sing his ass off, though he never steps over the boundaries of taste for the purposes of showing off. Of all of the current young pop star sensations, I think he's at or at least near the top of the heap. About half of the tunes on his latest album, "Unorthodox Jukebox" are getting lots of airplay and for once, I feel like the accolades are going to somebody that deserves them.

The guys in RHCP are so old now, I wonder if they are gonna wear socks on their man-boobs for the show.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    The guys in RHCP are so old now, I wonder if they are gonna wear socks on their man-boobs for the show.
    Thread WIN

I need to sig that

done

RHCP are okay I guess. Don't know anything about Bruno except there was a song, one of the few that I actually loathed, and found it was Bruno Mars. But its just one song...

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-at-super-bowl

I may actually watch the halftime show if this falls into place. I've always liked the Chili Peppers; Bruno Mars...NOT.
    One of the few halftime shows I don't care to view. I do like me some Bruno Mars every now and again. RHCP is a group where I can find not one good thing to say about their music.

Looks like I'm hitting the buffalo wings and Doritos at halftime!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    One of the few halftime shows I don't care to view. I do like me some Bruno Mars every now and again. RHCP is a group where I can find not one good thing to say about their music.

Looks like I'm hitting the buffalo wings and Doritos at halftime!
    The odd thing about me is that Im a bass player that specializes in slap style, but Im not a big RHCP fan. I think "Uplift Mofo Party Plan" was a daring album for its time. "Mothers Milk" is a good album to me. "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" has a few OK moments and "Freaky Styley" is probably their most interesting to me but thats about it. I recognize them all as good players but their version of whatever-it-is-they-do really doesnt do a whole lot for me.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Best half-decade of Super Bowl Half Time Entertainment ever:

2005 Paul McCartney
    2006 The Rolling Stones
    2007 Prince
    2008 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
    2009 Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
    2010 The Who

I'm not a fan of Bruno Mars or Red Hot Chili Peppers. I have heard two full albums by each. Bruno Mars is a good pop singer, but a little bland for my taste. Red Hot Chili Peppers are funk (or something) without soul. I don't care if I see either perform at this year's Super Bowl. Not hating. Just indifferent.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Best half-decade of Super Bowl Half Time Entertainment ever:

2006 The Rolling Stones
    I remember watching that one and thinking "God bless these guys, for all they have done for popular music, and their lifelong Rock n Roll journey but they really really really need to stop"

Well, I'm with Gruno on this one as there is nothing I can say about RHCP that is positive, so I'll say nothing. Bruno Mars, that style of music is about as exciting as a root canal and I didn't care in the first place. Now I still don't care, so please pass the guacamole.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    RHCP are okay I guess. Don't know anything about Bruno except there was a song, one of the few that I actually loathed, and found it was Bruno Mars. But its just one song...
    Probably “The Lazy Song,” that song is execrable. That’s the thing about Mr. Mars, he has songs that are really good (“Locked Out of Heaven,” “Treasure”) and others that make you want to icepick your own eardrums (TLS, that song about f&*%ing like gorillas). If only he were more consistent as an artist, and if only he had more of a real identity; his best stuff (LOOF=The Police, Treasure=Michael Jackson) tends to sound like pastiches of other artists.

As for RHCP, if you can’t say anything nice.....
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I remember watching that one and thinking "God bless these guys, for all they have done for popular music, and their lifelong Rock n Roll journey but they really really really need to stop"
    them and the who were awful.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Bruno Mars goes beyond just being a modern pop singer: he is easily one of the most talented musical entertainers of this generation and his music (if you have ever really listened to it) also goes beyond the standard pop fare on his album's deeper cuts....You dont have to like him, but I dont think he should be just "written off" as an entertainer, even if paired with RHCP
    I feel like this is the same kind of stuff I hear people here say about Justin Timberlake whenever I dismiss him. Almost.

But is Bruno Mars more of a UK thing or something? Never heard of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Probably “The Lazy Song,” that song is execrable. That’s the thing about Mr. Mars, he has songs that are really good (“Locked Out of Heaven,” “Treasure”) and others that make you want to icepick your own eardrums (TLS, that song about f&*%ing like gorillas). If only he were more consistent as an artist, and if only he had more of a real identity; his best stuff (LOOF=The Police, Treasure=Michael Jackson) tends to sound like pastiches of other artists.

As for RHCP, if you can’t say anything nice.....
    It was a very bland love song, and I disliked it enough to want to know who the artist was. Someone said Bruno Mars, who I was completely unfamiliar with. Still am, 'cept for that one torturous song. Being a composer, I find it prudent to try to find something redeeming in about anything, so there are very few songs I really dislike.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    But is Bruno Mars more of a UK thing or something? Never heard of him.
    I live in Florida ---

He's quite huge here in the USA

I have to say, I have no idea who Bruno Mars is. OK, I've heard the name, but before seeing a super bowl promo clip yesterday, I had no idea what he looked like or what kind of music he made. I feel so out of the loop. Don't know if that's a bad thing. I do like the RHCP, so maybe I'll watch this.

Love Bruno Mars.

Absolutely can't stand RHCP and Kiedis' constant off-key singing.

This went from potentially awesome to potentially nauseating.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I feel like this is the same kind of stuff I hear people here say about Justin Timberlake whenever I dismiss him. Almost.
    I'm a bigger fan of Bruno Mars, but Timberlake is probably the more talented performer/entertainer. I can't see Mars being as funny on SNL, etc.

Jed, one day you have to climb out from under that rock you live under.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Agree. Some of his tunes grate on me and some are pretty good. "Young Wild Girls" is one that really annoys me, but this is a pretty nice tune:

Nothing of his stuff is strikingly original, but he's a pretty versatile songwriter.

But is Bruno Mars more of a UK thing or something?
    If he was, do you think he'd be invited to perform at the Super Bowl?! Like Klothos said:

He's quite huge here in the USA
    Yep! At least four tunes from his latest (second) album are getting played everywhere; the radio, commercials... hard to avoid, really.

I'd be blissfully unaware of contemporary pop music like some of you guys if I didn't have to play a lot of that stuff to pay the bills. But I'd still know Bruno. Like I said, my girl and her daughter are huge fans. They've pretty much burned me out on his two albums at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'm a bigger fan of Bruno Mars, but Timberlake is probably the more talented performer/entertainer. I can't see Mars being as funny on SNL, etc.
    If “The Lazy Song” has proven anything, it’s that Bruno Mars should never, ever try his hand at comedy.

RE: Timberlake. He is absolutely, positively not to my taste at all, but I will concede, the man can sing.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

Jed, one day you have to climb out from under that rock you live under.
    Hey, I know who RHCP are (didn't know they were still together though. Seriously though, where would I have heard of Bruno Mars? I mean, as I said above, I know who Justin Timberlake is, but I've never seen him perform anywhere - where would I have except SNL (which I no longer watch) or music awards shows (which I no longer watch) or urban radio?

I just took a look at Bruno Mars' Wikipedia page. Looks like he recorded two albums and has been on SNL and a couple of other shows I've never seen. I hardly need to be under a rock to not know about him.