Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simon Phillips' Protocol II - Live Webcast Tonight Jan. 10

Ah! Got it!

This is on my purchase list, after seeing the vids...

A monster drummer, but 95% of the bands and projects he's in, i've just never been able to get into.This is just more of the same old safe uninspiring fusion stuff imo.

Saw both shows Saturday night, the second set was better than the first, and the first set kicked my ass! Awesome band. Phillips is so great, he and Weingart were really in tune to each other. Amazing show.

This would be dream show for me. Love Simon but the real draw for me would be Andy Timmons. Love his CDs and he is on my bucket list to see live

Quote Originally Posted by Watanabe View Post
    A monster drummer, but 95% of the bands and projects he's in, i've just never been able to get into.This is just more of the same old safe uninspiring fusion stuff imo.
    He made great recordings for Mike Oldfield, Jeff Beck, Jack Bruce, and Roger Glover.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The Hiromi albums are terrific.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Announcement from Toto/Steve Lukather - http://www.totoofficial.com/news/199103

**It has also been announced that long-time member drummer Simon Phillips will be departing the band to pursue his solo career and other interests. Luke shares, "He is still a dear friend and we wish him the very best and continued success," The band welcomes new addition Keith Carlock (Steely Dan, Sting, James Taylor, John Mayer). Carlock originally hails from Clinton, Mississippi, and has collaborated with Luke in the past in the jam band Toxic Monkey**
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    The Hiromi albums are terrific.
    Ditto to that!

I still remember the first time I saw Phillips, it was actually with Pete Townshend's band solo band, and I was amazed how he utilized every single piece of his drum kit, and not just to be showy. I don't own much of his work, but I do plan of rectifying that.

The more I listen to this the better it sounds. Great cd.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Announcement from Toto/Steve Lukather - http://www.totoofficial.com/news/199103

**It has also been announced that long-time member drummer Simon Phillips will be departing the band to pursue his solo career and other interests. Luke shares, "He is still a dear friend and we wish him the very best and continued success," The band welcomes new addition Keith Carlock (Steely Dan, Sting, James Taylor, John Mayer). Carlock originally hails from Clinton, Mississippi, and has collaborated with Luke in the past in the jam band Toxic Monkey**
    Seriously bummed about this.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Count me as a fan of the new album.....good stuff. At times reminds me of a later-period Weather Report...but maybe that's just me.