Thread: AAJ Review: Gary Husband & Alex Machacek, Now

AAJ Review: Gary Husband & Alex Machacek, Now

My review of Gary Husband & Alex Machaxek's intimate Now, today at All About Jazz.

Over the course of the past decade or so, Abstract Logix has gone from being a web-based shop front for all things fusion—and that's fusion in the true sense of the word, by the way; not just the high octane, often pyrotechnic genre it's narrowed down to over the decades—into a record label with a small but significant discography whose roster includes everyone from Jimmy Herring and Wayne Krantz to Lenny White and John McLaughlin. It made its next inevitable step in 2010, when it hosted the New Universe Music Festival, in its home based of Raleigh, NC—a high-powered two-day celebration of its current roster. But beyond the performances themselves, New Universe was also a tremendous hang, where musicians who'd never met before had the chance to hear each other play and get to know each other.

The inevitable consequence of that hang was new collaboration, and nowhere was this more evident than on Gary Husband's two-volume Dirty & Beautiful series, released in 2010 and 2012, where the drummer/keyboardist collaborated with a bevy of musicians. Amongst them was guitarist Alex Machacek, whose own Abstract Logix discography—starting with his impressive 2006 debut, [sic], through to 2012's FAT—revealed not just a guitarist of note, but a composer capable of mind-bending complexity and almost unparalleled sophistication.

Continue reading here...

The Machacek track on Husband's "Dirty and Beautiful Vol II" was the best of the bunch imo. I'll definitely want to hear this!

Auto Buy I think....

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    The Machacek track on Husband's "Dirty and Beautiful Vol II" was the best of the bunch imo. I'll definitely want to hear this!
    This is very different: a piano/guitar duo, largely minimal on electronics and, for Machacek, a warm, clean tone. Also, Gary played drums on D&BV2. But Now is a terrific record. I think you'll like it
    Best!
    John

I actually have this and haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Guess I should, Now . . . . . . . . . .
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

I checked it out on Spotify. It's really cool to hear Alex in this setting. Definitely need to pick it up.

This isn't a frequent listen, but it's awesome if I'm in the right mood.