Thread: The 2013 Prog Magazine Readers’ Poll

The 2013 Prog Magazine Readers’ Poll

Hey folks. Is there anybody here on PE, who can publish results of the annual "Prog" zine poll? As far as I know, David Longdon (BBT) voted as the best vocalist. Who are the other winners: keyboard player, bassist, female singer, the band, number one album etc.?

Bassit was Nick Beggs, drummer was Marco Minnemann, female singer was the lady from Anathema (can't remember her name; I wouldn't ever vote for her, much as though I like Anathema well enough), guitarist was Guthrie Govan. Can't remember the keyboardist off the top of my head - think it might have been Jordan Rudess. No. 1 album was Steven Wilson's The Raven that Refused to Sing, of course.

In fact, Steven Wilson and his various band members cleaned up. Understandable but a bit predictable, and as time goes by I'm more and more convinced that my personal favourites in every category tend to end up being voted somewhere between fifth and runner-up. :-)

I really thought Andy Latimer and the return of Camel, and the wonderful Moon Safari, might have figured a bit higher in the polls.

Wish they'd stop bothering with the "heart throb" category; it's pointless and somewhat embarrassing that a ton of middle-aged blokes are seemingly salivating over that bird from Touchstone (although she's not remotely my type, it has to be said).

Thanks for reply, Dodie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
    Bassit was Nick Beggs, drummer was Marco Minnemann, female singer was the lady from Anathema (can't remember her name; I wouldn't ever vote for her, much as though I like Anathema well enough), guitarist was Guthrie Govan. Can't remember the keyboardist off the top of my head - think it might have been Jordan Rudess. No. 1 album was Steven Wilson's The Raven that Refused to Sing, of course.

In fact, Steven Wilson and his various band members cleaned up. Understandable but a bit predictable, and as time goes by I'm more and more convinced that my personal favourites in every category tend to end up being voted somewhere between fifth and runner-up. :-)

I really thought Andy Latimer and the return of Camel, and the wonderful Moon Safari, might have figured a bit higher in the polls.

Wish they'd stop bothering with the "heart throb" category; it's pointless and somewhat embarrassing that a ton of middle-aged blokes are seemingly salivating over that bird from Touchstone (although she's not remotely my type, it has to be said).
    As "that bird from Touchstone" is a personal friend of mine I can tell you she found it very amusing and took it in the spirit it is intended.

And the "lady from Anathema" is Lee Douglas.

it's pointless and somewhat embarrassing that a ton of middle-aged blokes are seemingly salivating over that bird from Touchstone (although she's not remotely my type, it has to be said).
    Why are you hating on middle-aged salivators?

Singer-David Longdon
    Band-Haken
    Reissue-CTTE
    Event-Steve Wilson tour
    Venue-Royal Albert Hall

yes, Rudess was voted best keyboard player!

I am sure, it's pretty much corrupt Poll as lesser-known bands will never get the amount of votes due to the others being promoted constantly by 'Prog' magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    I am sure, it's pretty much corrupt Poll as lesser-known bands will never get the amount of votes due to the others being promoted constantly by 'Prog' magazine.
    I don't think it constitutes corruption that better-known bands come higher in a readers' poll than lesser-known bands. A tautology, perhaps, but not corruption.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Singer-David Longdon
    Band-Haken
    Reissue-CTTE
    Event-Steve Wilson tour
    Venue-Royal Albert Hall

yes, Rudess was voted best keyboard player!
    Wilson also won Icon.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by glawster2002 View Post
    As "that bird from Touchstone" is a personal friend of mine I can tell you she found it very amusing and took it in the spirit it is intended.

And the "lady from Anathema" is Lee Douglas.
    Firstly, I honestly couldn't remember Lee Douglas's name - the magazine wasn't to hand, and, well, I didn't vote for her.

Secondly, I actually know Kim Serviour's name - in fact, a friend of hers has just got engaged to a very good friend of mine (he was best man at my wedding). I wasn't meaning any disrespect to her personally, but was adopting a sort of narrative tone to convey how silly I find the whole idea of a "Prog Heartthrob of the Year". I'm jolly glad Kim took it in good humour; I wouldn't doubt it. But that doesn't mean I don't find the notion rather embarrassing and stupid, and I sincerely wish Prog magazine would drop it in future. :-)

I write for an international music magazine and am part of the jury that hosts some prestigious annual awards, but the day the editorial team propose we have an award for "Classical Music Sex Symbol of the Year", I'll offer them some very choice words on the subject.

Prog's editorial style is a bit tongue-in-cheek, not taking it all too seriously, which sometimes serves it well, I think, and sometimes doesn't.

More generally, I continue to enjoy the magazine, remain a subscriber and look forward to reading each issue. However, occasionally the standard of journalism feels like it could be better. In the latest issue (supergroups), apart from a silly mistake in one article, what stood out for me was the Transatlantic interview. It was just hagiography; compare the Tom Scholz interview in the latest Classic Rock that felt like it was actually addressing some difficult issues.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I don't think it constitutes corruption that better-known bands come higher in a readers' poll than lesser-known bands. A tautology, perhaps, but not corruption.

Henry
    I just know that some newcomers have recieved eloquent signs from "P" journalists.

Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    I just know that some newcomers have recieved eloquent signs from "P" journalists.
    If the journalists are expressing their own musical tastes or reflecting what they think their readership is interested in, then I can understand that is frustrating for the newcomers involved, but that's the journalists' job: it's not corruption.

Henry

Firstly, I honestly couldn't remember Lee Douglas's name - the magazine wasn't to hand, and, well, I didn't vote for her.

Secondly, I actually know Kim Serviour's name - in fact, a friend of hers has just got engaged to a very good friend of mine (he was best man at my wedding). I wasn't meaning any disrespect to her personally, but was adopting a sort of narrative tone to convey how silly I find the whole idea of a "Prog Heartthrob of the Year". I'm jolly glad Kim took it in good humour; I wouldn't doubt it. But that doesn't mean I don't find the notion rather embarrassing and stupid, and I sincerely wish Prog magazine would drop it in future. :-)

I write for an international music magazine and am part of the jury that hosts some prestigious annual awards, but the day the editorial team propose we have an award for "Classical Music Sex Symbol of the Year", I'll offer them some very choice words on the subject.
    There's no 'r' in Kim Seviour

When I spoke to the editor of Prog, Jerry Ewing, at Summer's End last October he told me that category is just a bit of fun and isn't intended to be taken as seriously as some people obviously do.

Quote Originally Posted by glawster2002 View Post
    Jerry Ewing ... told me that category is just a bit of fun and isn't intended to be taken as seriously as some people obviously do.
    Sure, I realise some think it's harmless fun. I just cringe at this particular ill-advised notion of light-hearted fun.
    It's not exactly to do with wanting to take every page in the magazine seriously, but it's more to do with the fact that if any of the women in my life (wife and daughters) picked up the magazine out of curiosity and saw that particular page, they'd think (rightly, I believe) that it's pathetic stuff and, well, a bit naff.

Or maybe we should go the whole hog, and next year have multi-gender awards for "Sexiest Prog Hunk", "Most Shaggable Prog Frontwoman", "Prog Bloke Most Likely To Make A Straight Man Bi-Curious", and, of course "Totally Unappealing Sexually, Retirement Age, Iconic Guitarist From The 1970s That You'd Most Like To Invite Around For Tea". Actually, that last one would be my idea of a bit of fun. I guess I'm just in the minority, then.

For what it's worth, I'm not all that keen on Rick Wakeman's column either. I obviously don't have a "Prog" sense of humour
    Last edited by Dodie; 01-15-2014 at 05:07 AM.

For what it's worth, I'm not all that keen on Rick Wakeman's column either. I obviously don't have a "Prog" sense of humour
    It's pretty bad. It's not as bad as his Twitter account. That's just the same fart joke over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Henry

What fart joke Henry? I'm too lazy to check out his Twitter. I'm trying to imagine a Wakeman fart joke. Something like "Hey, pull my cape!"?