Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Featured CD - Frank Zappa / The Mothers of Invention : Just Another Band from L.A

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    That might be the case in English-speaking countries but he was more well-regarded in Europe than in his own country. The fact that his European fans didn't understand his lyrics (especially the inside jokes and local references) probably made them like his music more. "Bobby Brown Goes Down" was a #1 hit in Norway for example but there was probably next to no radio stations in the US that ever played it.
    That seems quite likely, IMO. In the US, aside of his fans who knew better, he was basically viewed as a degenerate. I attribute that to ignorant media portrayals and the holy rollers more than anything.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That seems quite likely, IMO. In the US, aside of his fans who knew better, he was basically viewed as a degenerate. I attribute that to ignorant media portrayals and the holy rollers more than anything.
    Frank? A degenerate? Whatever the opposite of degenerate is, that's Frank.

This band is criminally under-rated. This is one of Frank's most rocking ensemble, and it shows on many tunes here. Call Any Vegetable, Magdalena, and Dog Breath are some of the best versions around (although the Dog Breaths of the 73-74 bands are far superior). I love the song Magdalena, its full of energy and power, and with a messed up story of Canadian incest to boot. Billy The Mountain is great, even though the solo section is missing. Yes, this album is not one of the best FZ albums, but it is a real good one, and captures this line-up in all it's silliness and rock. However, this band REALLY shines on Carnegie Hall and Playground Psychotics.
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

I heard Zappa on LA radio stations KPPC, KMET and KLOS in the 70's. When he had hours of unreleased music he went on radio and said, "Start up your tape decks!" before airing. Even in the 90's there was a San Francisco station that played Dinah Mo Hum (my most hated Z song) several times on an oldies segment called 'Ten at Ten'.

My first intro to Zappa, probably around 1976. The pals I hung with and I listened to this so much that I'm pretty sure BtM got into my DNA. Sure, it's silly, but anyone who's ever performed anything in front of an audience should also recognize that there's some wickedly difficult and complex music in there. My musical tastes have morphed and grown through the intervening years, but some things are as if attached to a pendulum, and this album swings back my direction every so often. Big fun.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

My first exposure, which I will never forget, to The Mothers back in '76

Because of his lyrics, Zappa was unfortunately seen as something of a novelty act in the USA for much of his adult life. It was really only after his death that the mainstream US culture began to appreciate his music as something beyond that.

"Bobby Brown" could never have been played on the radio in the USA because of the subject matter, but "Dancin' Fool" and "Valley Girl" both received extensive US radio airplay on commercial stations, as did "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow."

The Flo & Eddie band was far too obscure and odd to be a candidate for radio play or hit singles...

Don't forget that 70's radio included stations that were not formatted except by pot-smoking freaks. Otherwise I would never have heard Pink Floyd Ummagumma tracks, Monty Python, Peaches En Regalia or My Guitar Wants to Kill Yer Mama... until I found freaks of my own!

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post

The Flo & Eddie band was far too obscure and odd to be a candidate for radio play or hit singles...
    Funny coz I always heard the reason Frank brought them into the band was for the "commercial" appeal.. hey the Turtles had many "hit" singles.. all with a "bullet"... he even asked Micky Dolenz to join as well.. he would have had a true band full of "pop stars"..

My personal opinion... I think Frank always wanted the recognition for what he did. But --- after the years went by and very little appreciation was giving for his serious type music or any of his music (this is on a larger scale mind you) - he gave up and that's where you end up hearing him say things like he doesnt want to be remembered. Sad really.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Funny coz I always heard the reason Frank brought them into the band was for the "commercial" appeal.. hey the Turtles had many "hit" singles.. all with a "bullet"... he even asked Micky Dolenz to join as well.. he would have had a true band full of "pop stars"..
    That wouldn't surprise me, but Frank's idea of "commercial" appeal must have been somewhat odd, then.

FZ was under no illusions concerning the national myth making media. There's no way songs like Who Are The Brain Police?; Idiot Bastard Son; Brown Shoes Don't Make were ever going to get anywhere in a commercial market. And not much further with his own growing audience filling America's more intimate hockey arenas.

Bobby Brown didn't have a chance, despite the "swear" words, because it attacks the American religion. Getting rich. And not as a by product of talent and hard work, but as an end in itself. The shallowness of yuppie-dom, forsaking any last vestiges of ethics and integrity. And today we have more Bobby and Barbi Browns than ever, since the advent of "reality" TV. Almost makes one nostalgic for the advent of MTV.

As far as commercial appeal goes, FZ stated many times that for him it meant making enough money to finance his next musical project.

If you're in Chicago, they have that every year.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I love Apostrophe. It was my first Zappa record and holds a special place in my heart. That being said, that period, IMO, was just a bit too silly for me. "Dinah Moe Hum" being one example. There's certainly more Zappa to choose from for all tastes. But those silly records are the ones I grew out of much quicker than anything else. Then again, I did just listen to Apostrophe" a few weeks ago and tried to get my kids to check it out.

Funny side note. I have a church right up the road from me named St. Alphonsus. A few years ago, they had a pancake breakfast. I'm still kicking myself for not taking a photo of the sign. Maybe, some day, they'll have another.

Back in the day, when you showed up at the party with Zappa Album in your hands you automatically got shotgunned and a drink of whatever was being made in your hand while you were on your way to the turntable... Got laid for the first time to Zappa...! So he's always on my favorites list.

We are covering My Guitar wants to Kill your Momma with the Rock band and Watermellon in Easter Hay at the end of the night.....We are thinking of doing Bobby Brown. ! too funny. The band is as nuts as I am.. gotta love it.

With the prog project... we can't seem to make "Inca Roads" sound right (my favorite Zappa song of all time) without the Marimba...and there's so much going on in that song... ya just can't do it justice 5 piece.... Duke had one hell of a high range back in the day ...! So I am trying very hard to get the german right for Sofa #2 as a second choice and an excellent example of "classic prog" for the show. I am finding German is tough to do well...! but its fun learning it, I'd only work this hard to make Frank proud.

What a true musician... and wonderful human charater this guy was... ! He has pieces I can't stand to listen to..! I have yet to ever make it through some of them...... and others that just make me shake my head in wonder at the craziness of it all.... and mixed in this brilliant madman's creations are some of the most incredible and beautiful works of music I have ever heard. Frank still is the oddest, most talented, craziest, funniest, most intelligent and most unique musician I have ever subjected myself to. I hope generations to come continue to discover his work.

When we cover anything of his... the band loves it.. and so does the crowd... and it is an honor to present any of his work. I don't know if he died knowing he was a giant. But he was....
    He was ......."The Mother of Invention"

Randy
    Last edited by Classic Progressive; 01-09-2014 at 11:07 PM.
    Of course, not being of the daily persuasion in this opinion laden public prog bathhouse, my diatribe of recent lucubration is perhaps as welcome as a rats teat. One often is forced to weigh the desire to flash judgment within against the effort required as well as the value this knowledge will be to the greater good of all mankind or whatever inhabits the current spa. At best, its a slippery slope.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    By this time, imo, Frank's 'irreverent cynicism' was eating his talent alive.
    Agreed, and great line. I think a lot of Frank's talent was slaughtered at the alter of "irreverent cynicism" throughout his career.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Love this album from the 1st note to the last!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!