Thread: Guy Garvey on the new Elbow record (which he says is their proggiest)

Guy Garvey on the new Elbow record (which he says is their proggiest)

Read this in the current Uncut magazine:

GUY GARVEY: "IT'S VERY different from Build A Rocket Boys!. In some parts it's choppier and tighter and harder than previous records. In other places it's a lot more experimental then we've been for the last couple of albums. One 'experiment' involved us being up all night at Peter Gabriel's Real World Studio and doing a lot of dancing. We watched a prog rock documentary, then sampled some of it and made a new groove. I'd say this is our proggiest record. I've been listening to everything from Death Grips to Fela Kuti. Then of course there are the staples: a bit of Yes here, some Genesis there. We've all been loving Little Dragon, Duke Ellington, Here We Go Magic. Lots in the pot, a real gumbo.

"Thematically, it's about transition. It's about life change of one kind or another, negative and positive. There's one song about an old guy in a young person's bar, telling them that he designed their drugs and their music and that they should have some respect for him. It's quite an angry thing called 'Charge'. Then there's 'The Blanket Of Night', which is a portrait of a refugee couple in a small boat on a rough sea at night. That was to illustrate that, while both political parties are blaming the country's problems on immigrants, there are people who are dying to get into the country. It's so irresponsible to blame immigrants for our problems, those politicians should fucking be ashamed of themselves. Another one's called 'My Sad Captains'. There's a line in it - "We only come this way but once" - which is actually a bastardisation of William Penn [founder of Pennsylvania]. He was talking about realising you only have one life, realising your own mortality." ROB HUGHES

Sounds interesting. I like Elbow, but was a little disappointed with Build a Rocket Boys after the first two tracks (The Birds and Lippy Kids), which I think are fantastic. Looking forward to the new one.

I've enjoyed following these guys. Can't say they have ever been preditable. May not love all of it, but I respect their journey and I'm on board for wherever it leads.

First song from the album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dELKUivJo4w . Does seem a bit prog in being long and ponderous. :-D I like the sax which brought to mind Van der Graaf a little.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Wow, this sounds good!

Where should I send a stream-request? Fiction is part of Polydor is part of A&M is part of Universal, and all of the above have managers in almost every country in the world. Glad I only do 'smaller' bands at Progstreaming.

I'm surprised there isn't more interest in Elbow here, particularly given people's enduring love of Genesis. Songs like "Newborn" sound to me like what Genesis might have done in the recent past had Gabriel never left. At least, Guy Garvey has a timbre to his voice eerily similar to Pete's, the way Phil and Fish do ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syQOaO9s2Tw

I mean, it's almost like an update of "Entangled" : )
    Last edited by Nador; 05-01-2016 at 05:23 PM.

"The birds are the keepers of our secrets . . . "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTcrX17joIE