Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SOUND OF CONTACT news...

Squids is a big boy. I am sure he can defend himself if he deems it necessary.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Banned
    The Squids and SOC split has made Classic Rock Presents Prog.

I think after two versions of PE at this point we're wayyyyyyyyyyy past Squids-spam™ concerns. Haha. WTF? I didn't even notice anyone getting on my case and bringing it up only makes it look like it's a problem when it isn't. So let's just brrrrrreeeezzzzze past that if we can. Yes? That said, I DO have a new cookbook called "The Appetizers of Squidsisis: Prog Delights"... oh never mind! As for the bashing of past members of classic prog bands and being concerned that they might be reading this... well, I wouldn't worry about that too much. Certainly nothing new around here! Still, there are other threads for that sort of thing where it'd be more OT one would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    WTF? I didn't even notice anyone getting on my case and bringing it up only makes it look like it's a problem when it isn't.
    Completely agree.

Now, about that cookbook... ....you know, I see your culinary photos pop up on Facebook now and then, and they make me jealous, because I am usually eating something rather ordinary, and you have concocted some divine dish that makes me look at mine, then look back at the screen at yours, then look back and mine again and do a sad frown. And it's unfair, Squids. It's not enough that you are a far, far better musician than I am, you have to be a better cook too?

Love those ocean photos you post now and then too... they always remind me of those little photos on the inside gatefold of Topographic Oceans. Such beauty...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Completely agree.

Now, about that cookbook... ....you know, I see your culinary photos pop up on Facebook now and then, and they make me jealous, because I am usually eating something rather ordinary, and you have concocted some divine dish that makes me look at mine, then look back at the screen at yours, then look back and mine again and do a sad frown. And it's unfair, Squids. It's not enough that you are a far, far better musician than I am, you have to be a better cook too?

Love those ocean photos you post now and then too... they always remind me of those little photos on the inside gatefold of Topographic Oceans. Such beauty...
    You know at this point I've probably become a cliche' of myself. Squids. The guy who posts the ocean photos and pictures of weird but delicious looking food. But, that's just Facebook for ya. What else is there to do? I try to keep it interesting (but selfishly only with things I'm interested in! haha).

Anyway, PE and most prog forums aren't known for being the kindest to all people or musicians. I was warned by Sean who invited me here in the first place (and yet he's one of the friendliest guys in Prog!). I'm glad I do have friends on here that appreciate the scattered things I've done over the years which all add up to something. What I don't know. But if you like it and my crazy stories then that's what counts. The way I see it though is that there's a whole lot more to do and accomplish before I sit back and expect anything. Time to get BUSY!

Prog, out. (I'm weird btw... but I know what I like)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Good luck Squids, always like your posts, very interesting and entertaining.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Good luck Squids, always like your posts, very interesting and entertaining.
    Thanks man! You're Nog that Bad after all! (I didn't think you were ftr).

You know at this point I've probably become a cliche' of myself. Squids. The guy who posts the ocean photos and pictures of weird but delicious looking food. But, that's just Facebook for ya. What else is there to do? I try to keep it interesting (but selfishly only with things I'm interested in! haha).
    Hey, those photos are far more interesting than what a lot of people post. Just keep doing what you're doing. As for unkind posts on public forums, they tend to stand out more than the others, so perhaps appear to be greater in number than they really are. Your music is well-liked here, and so are your stories!

But yeah, I want more music. So get busy.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    JIF, stop ruining threads with silly, juvenile arguments and thread policing. You do it in literally every single thread that interests you. Many of us here like to read discussions without having to filter out all that bullshit. Pipe down - the grownups are talking.
    Can we have this posted as a sticky under the banner?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I wish you tremendous luck, Dave… you've done some fantastic work and I know that any project you're involved with will be a winner. It's a little depressing, admittedly, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I wish you tremendous luck, Dave… you've done some fantastic work and I know that any project you're involved with will be a winner. It's a little depressing, admittedly, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
    Thanks man. It does suck, especially if one thinks about "what might have been". Ironically some of the lyrics that I contributed to the album toward the end (Closer, Omega and also some songs I've written that haven't been released yet) are about that subject. It's a frustrating thing and one can wish they were a time traveler and could fix everything with the wisdom they have after the fact. Great material for the fantasy realm of songs. In reality though we're better off just accepting what is and moving on.

The egos have landed? Simon says? Never mind Squids, I think you'll be better off in the long run.

Thanks for filling "us" in, Dave, and I wish you nothing but good things and health in your future. I was really hoping to be greatly surprised by being in the moment at ROSfest later this year ( unlike like most here, I go in blind to this great feast for the ears the last few years. I like new music/groups new to me, live in the moment and generally try to avoid finding about the bands and listening to their music via youtube beforehand. I'm a lover of live music period; it's the one thing other than my daughter that makes me smile and feel connected) enjoying and feeding off S.O.C.. Too bad you won't be part of my 2014 ROSfest experience but you may force me to check out some of your previous works and future projects ;-). I hope someday to catch you at a live show.

I Our album finally came out after years of patience, we got some nice recognition from Prog Magazine and others .
    Ironically, I've just submitted my votes for the DPRP annual poll and had put Squids down for best keyboard player of 2013 for his performance on Dimensionaut, and then I discovered the news.....

Doesn't take away from the fact that it was one of the year's best albums for me - a constant repeater on the cd deck - and I've voted it second best in the DPRP poll.

(but selfishly only with things I'm interested in! haha).
    Why do you have to be so shellfish? http://instantrimshot.com

Is SOC still going to be performing on the cruises?

http://www.soundofcontact.com has the tour dates which includes the cruises.

@Valen (is that short for Van Halen? Eddie is that you???? ) Duuuuuuuuude. Thanks for even thinking that. Although what happened on an album in 2013 stays in Vegas... I mean, the news shouldn't change anything in that regard! But, the only problem is I am by far not the best keyboard player. Just don't tell anyone! I can play a mean chopsticks in 9/8 though. Does that count for anything?

http://www.soundofcontact.com has the tour dates which includes the cruises.

@Valen (is that short for Van Halen? Eddie is that you???? ) Duuuuuuuuude. Thanks for even thinking that. Although what happened on an album in 2013 stays in Vegas... I mean, the news shouldn't change anything in that regard! But, the only problem is I am by far not the best keyboard player. Just don't tell anyone! I can play a mean chopsticks in 9/8 though. Does that count for anything?
    My polling in DPRP was based on a long hard look at what I bought in 2013, and limited my selection to new albums actually released that year. (I bought a few re-releases eg Steven Wilson remixes, but felt that they didn't count as 'new' albums so to speak.)

I spent the weekend going through the 9 albums that made the cut (mainly to pick up on individual tracks that would make for a good sampler to reel in friends not familiar with this music), and Dimensionaut came out very favourably against some stiff competition (I've rated it second only to Wilson's Raven album which has been a standout for me, for so many different reasons.)

Dimensionaut got played a lot during the summer and then got shelved, so it was a pleasant surprise to spin it up after all that time and find myself enjoying it all over again - not least because the mix sounded spot-on (ie no loudness or distortion but plenty of colour and depth) compared to the competition, and the crafting of the songs seemed more focussed than some of the other albums.

When it came to polling for a keyboard player, I looked back at each contending album to decide where the keyboards played a prominent role in the overall mix, and in this category Dimensionaut came out tops as the keyboards were equally, if not more, prominent than the guitars (unlike, say Amplifier or Riverside), and for me they really gave the album a character that differed from any of the other albums I enjoyed this year.

PS - Valen was a character in the tv series Babylon 5......I'm probably more of a fan of Chris Franke's score for that series than anything Van Halen related

Interesting Valen. Keyboards are a tricky instrument. There's a fine line between stellar and utter cheesola when it comes to keyboards being prominent in music. Whereas a guitar is inherently just a cool instrument to begin with. Fortunately Progressive Prog as a style has always been kind to keyboard players offering a lot of latitude to do things. Still plenty of room to "widdly" someone's patience away or or hide in amorphous atmosphere instead. I've always admired Wakeman and Banks for their cleverly composed keyboard solos and IMO you don't hear enough of that these days. I can see it sort of coming back in style in a way... but I also might reside in my own fantasy world so don't listen to me!

I love keyboards. But I am really a fan of many (many TOO many) instruments. The motto of my company is "Sample Everything"!

Keyboards are a tricky instrument. There's a fine line between stellar and utter cheesola when it comes to keyboards being prominent in music.
    ...but a wide gap between "Firth Of Fifth" and "The Final Countdown".

Whereas a guitar is inherently just a cool instrument to begin with.
    The keytar is evidence enough that someone, somewhere thought that keyboards could look 'cooler' if they were more guitar-like.

There is a way to make a Keytar cool. You have to be willing to light it on fire Hendrix-style and then smash it to bits like Townshend. Then maybe it could work! That said, I think Jon Brion could manage to make it cool. But that's a whole other thread topic! I think I might have to migrate to something else anyway.

Maybe if they make a "Flying V" Keytar?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I would play a freaking flying V keytar in a freaking heartbeat. Double neck!

Good luck Squids!!

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    I would play a freaking flying V keytar in a freaking heartbeat. Double neck!

Good luck Squids!!
    Thanks Mike. Getting ready to release our "Spirit of Radio" next month actually. Sounds cool. You rock! and for the record I think you are one of the few who could make a flying V-tar work! (maybe they'll have one at NAMM haha)