Thread: Stephen Lynch

Stephen Lynch

I was going to put this first video in the Smashing Pumpkins thread, then thought that wasn't good enough. I got hip to this dude when some crazy chick gave me a couple hundred cd's a while back. Never heard of the dude but after one song I was hooked. Best disc of the whole bunch.

Here's a full show with all of his greatest, and sickest, hits. Beware, knotty language.

I'm sure there are others of his ilk, I just don't know of them. If you have some great musician comedians, I'd love to check them out.

I am very familiar with Lynch. He went to school at Western Michigan University here in my home town of Kalamazoo MI, as a drama major, and right from the start he stood out as a star in the university productions that he was in. After graduation he spent several years as an equity member of our local summer stock theater “The Barn” where he stared in a bunch of musicals and plays. He eventually moved on to New York where he started getting into standup comedy. His career has taken off from there. The guy is an incredible talent. Along with his standup / singing comedian routine, he is also one hell of an actor, has a fantastic voice, and is funny as hell in his comedy routines. I believe he got nominated for a Tony Award on Broadway a few years ago for “The Wedding Singer” where he played the lead. I have met the guy at time or two when he was a The Barn and he always seemed like a really cool down to earth guy.

Steve Sly
    Last edited by SteveSly; 01-06-2014 at 10:38 AM.

Steve, thanks for the informative reply. Learn something new everyday, eh? I never knew he was all that, just figured he was some goofball comedian. I do hope the folks here at PE enjoy this, if they look. I've played the cd's for a few people, including Mom, and everyone has laughed their asses off, including Mom, and that's not a easy sell there.

I couldn't think of any other guys like this last night but I did remember this clip. Enjoy!

The first time that Lynch came back to Kalamazoo with his comedy act was pretty hilarious. He was still fairly unknown playing small comedy clubs at the time, but because he was so well known around these parts he sold out a 1500 seat theater. I knew what to expect as I had been exposed to some of his act, but a big chunk of the audience was filled with people who only knew Lynch through his theater background. He came out with his raunchy songs and within the first 30 minutes about a quarter of the audience walked out, many with shocked looks on their faces. When he was at The Barn he had a totally squeaky clean image and as a result many in audience had absolutely no idea what they were in for with his comedy act.

Steve Sly

Love Lynch. Have never seen one of his shows but have been following his appearances on Opie & Anthony since the late 90s when he started. I haven't heard anything from him in a while but remember numerous skits/songs about killing cats and also I seem to recall a funny song about Jesus's brother Chris Christ or something. Again it has been some time since I have heard him. Also learned he is originally a local boy from Willow Grove PA.