Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Al Stewart Live?

Al Stewart Live?

Just wondering if anyone here has seen Al Stewart live in the past few years? I just found out he is going to be playing about an hour from me in the fall. I have always liked his stuff, but never seen him live. Not sure if this is a solo show or with a band. Is he still worth seeing?

Steve Sly

If he was playing an hour from me, I'd go. from bootleg CDs and DVDs, he's pretty engaging. check him out: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...wart+2013&sm=3

Saw him a couple years ago in a little restored movie theater in Bremerton, WA. It was a fantastic evening! No band, just another guitarist and once in a while a Bass player would join in. Go to his website and it will state if additional musicians are performing with him. Many times in the evening, he would take requests from the audience....pretty mean feat for an almost 50 year back catalog. (The Elf was released in 1965) Do not put off buying tickets......most performances sell out!
    I live in WA state and would consider trips as far as NoCal to see him. He's been there through it all!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I can't believe the timing of your post. I just borrowed Year of The Cat from my brother and played it twice yesterday. Once with headphones and once without. There is some amazingly beautiful music on there. Of course "On The Border" and "Year of The Cat". I personally would much rather see a full fledged band with sax, etc. But from the review from Garyhead maybe I will check out the solo gig. Some beautiful acoustic guitar.

Tim Renwick plays guitars on "Year of The Cat". Why is that name ringing a bell?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    His website lists who's accompanying him at each show:

http://www.alstewart.com/calendar.html

I wish he was playing Tarrytown Music Hall in Tarrytown, NY - it would be a great venue for him. Instead he's playing City Winery in Manhattan - last time he played there I had a ticket but couldn't go.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Just wondering if anyone here has seen Al Stewart live in the past few years? I just found out he is going to be playing about an hour from me in the fall. I have always liked his stuff, but never seen him live. Not sure if this is a solo show or with a band. Is he still worth seeing?

Steve Sly
    I've been a fan for many years, and have seen him live a couple of times the past few years. He normally performs solo, or is accompanied by Dave Nachmanoff. I recently saw him do a special "one off" show with Peter White.

Al's set usually includes stuff from his early through his later years, but you'll likely hear a few selections off "Year of the Cat". A few years back, he performed the whole "Year of the Cat" CD one night, and came back a few nights later to do all of "Time Passages".

Without hesitation, I would say he is still worth seeing.

I'll make it unanimous: go see him!

I've see him twice. Both small theaters & both with Dave Nachmanoff who is a wonderful guitarist in his own right. I'd see him again in a heartbeat. His sets are song-story-song-story-repeat. Great stories. He talks about working with Yoko Ono before she hooked up "with another guitarist." He talks about his desire to be a rock musician until he saw Jimmy Hendrix. At one of the shows I went to he even played "Arnold Layne." He hangs around after the show to converse & autograph whatever you wish. I would recommend against bringing a bottle of wine as a gift. He has a very discerning taste; so unless you believe you have an equal talent…

Go. And have fun!
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Saw him a couple years ago in a little restored movie theater in Bremerton, WA. It was a fantastic evening! No band, just another guitarist and once in a while a Bass player would join in. Go to his website and it will state if additional musicians are performing with him. Many times in the evening, he would take requests from the audience....pretty mean feat for an almost 50 year back catalog. (The Elf was released in 1965) Do not put off buying tickets......most performances sell out!
    I live in WA state and would consider trips as far as NoCal to see him. He's been there through it all!
    The show is not listed on his web site yet, nor on the venue website (it is not until next October), so there is no information yet on who may or may not be performing with him or when tickets are going to go on sale. He is booked for the venue though for sure, so I will keep my eyes open for more information.

Steve Sly

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I saw him accompanied by Dave Nachmanoff in 2008. Wonderful show from the front row. I would not miss the opportunity to see him again. Go!
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

One of my favorite writers. Saw him last year with Nachmanoff and was great. However, don't expect to hear all the hits. He likes to play really deep cuts and sprinkle a few more popular hits around them. His between song banter is at least as enjoyable as the music.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Yes. The stories are Great! How he was almost a member Led Zeppelin....(Jimmy Page played on The Elf) Hangin' with Simon & Garfunkle in London.......I believe he was a roadie for them.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Sounds like it would be a good time. I'm a bit partial to the album "Time Passages"...even though he has other stuff out there. My father had Time Passages on a Reel to Reel and it was one of the albums that I grew up listening to as a kid. Cool too, that Alan Parsons produced the set as well.
    Bryan B.
    Host, "The Aisle of Plenty"
    The Best in Progressive Rock from the past 40 years
    Saturdays, 6AM-8AM Eastern
    classxradio.com

Encore Broadcasts
    Fridays 4PM-6PM Eastern, DeliciousAgony.com
    Saturdays 8PM-10PM Eastern, CrossStreetRadio.com

Absolutely go! I see him everytime he comes to town. He's a fantastic performer and his stories are very entertaining. As others here said, he'll play some hits, lots of deep tracks, and maybe even a few things brand new.

The last time we saw him (with Nachmanoff), he said that he tries to write a song every day. Most of them are shit, but every now and then he writes a gem. He played us a song that he and Dave wrote that afternoon. It was a very funny little ditty that probably never got played again, but it made for a really fun moment that night.

Al is a gem, not to be missed. Great songs, guitar playing from Nachmanoff and Al as well, and Al is hilarious. Nachmanoff's originals are weak IMO, but it's not a big thing. Al is just a regular guy who happens to be an amazingly gifted songwriter and singer, and wine connoisseur.

Al is up there with the acts I've seen more than any others (along with Renaissance and Neko Case). I totally screwed up the last time he was in this area, and missed his show. I hope not to let that happen again.

This is an old thread, but tickets for Al went on sale today and I managed to get 2nd row! I am psyched! He is one of my bucket list artists that I have never seen.

Good for you Steve! You won't be disappointed. Enjoy the show.

I have seen Al Stewart twice in concert... once with Dave Nachmanoff in a small club a couple of years ago, and once with a full band when he was touring for his "Last Days of the Century" album in the late 80's.

The solo show was good, and I had a chance to speak with him, but the "Last Days of the Century" concert was one of the very best I have ever seen - it was just fantastic

Excellent live and I'm fussy

Quote Originally Posted by shomanca View Post
    I have seen Al Stewart twice in concert... once with Dave Nachmanoff in a small club a couple of years ago, and once with a full band when he was touring for his "Last Days of the Century" album in the late 80's.

The solo show was good, and I had a chance to speak with him, but the "Last Days of the Century" concert was one of the very best I have ever seen - it was just fantastic
    This one is solo with Nachmanoff in a 400 seat very intimate theater.

Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Pleasant Farm View Post
    Tim Renwick plays guitars on "Year of The Cat". Why is that name ringing a bell?
    He played for Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Mike and the Mechanics, Procol Harum, Elton John, Mike Oldfield, Alan Parsons, Eric Clapton etc.

GO! GO! GO!

And bring something for him to sign. You won't regret it.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    GO! GO! GO!

And bring something for him to sign. You won't regret it.
    I am not much into the autograph thing, but as mentioned earlier in the thread I got 2nd row seats so am going for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by shomanca View Post

That's a great album! Al is very accessible, funny and an amazing songwriter and musician.