Thread: Best Jon Anderson Record not named Olias.....

Best Jon Anderson Record not named Olias.....

Interested to what our prog community says!!!!!

Animation is my personal favorite (above Olias). Change We Must and Deseo are great when I'm in the mood for light orchestral or world music, respectively. None of the others are keepers IMHO.

Toltec.

Although there are some really good isolated songs on City of Angels (New Civilization, Its On Fire & Top of the World) the first half is.... well.... not his best and a couple good songs on Animation (title track, All In A Matter of Time) and Song of Seven (days, title track) and EarthMotherEarth (concerto uno, concerto due). Overall, Toltec does it for me pretty consistent (until the very last track) Love 'Enter Ye The Mystery School'

Animation, followed closely by Song of Seven. Everything else is a distant runner up (though Change We Must has its moments.)
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Change We Must is certainly his most consistent post-Olias solo release. Beautiful orchestrations, and a nice choice of material. Really classy...which can't be said for all of Jon/Yes' output.

Song of Seven is closely second to that. While I've even grown fond on the first side of the album, it's the second side that really shines. Giblin's fretless bass work is especially outstanding.

I'll also give shout outs for EarthMotherEarth and Deseo. Lots of great tracks on those, in a nice, breezy, acoustic style.

I am particularly impressed by his massive output of solo albums and styles in the early 90's. While not everything is genius, he really was on fire with inspiration and creative exploration, also lots of world music influences (i think he was inspired by Gabriel's world music label). Unfortunately these days he's also following in Gabriel's footsteps by laboring over much music for long periods of time but hardly releasing anything!

I love Toltec and Change We Must, both of which contain his most consistent solo output. A word also for the Open EP, which is. Lush.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Best Jon Anderson Record not named Olias...
    I'll go with, "Song Of Seven".

Tie between Song of Seven and Animation. I actually enjoy the "pop" numbers on "Song of Seven," and even if I didn't, the title track is beautiful. "Animation" is just as good, but it has some clunkers in there ("Much Better Reason" and "Surrender" are a bit iffy) but the title track, again, is sublime.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Animation for me. Better than most post-70s Yes albums, IMO.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Toltec
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Song of Seven by a country mile. It needs to be expanded with the Rockpalast show as an extra.

Did voiceprint ever release all those discs for the box set. I bought a couple, one being the disc of a live concert from the Song of Seven tour!

I'll probably be the only one to say this, but my favourite thing Jon has done apart from Olias is the epic track "Open" he released a couple of years back. It's fantastic IMO and I've listened to it many times.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I haven't heard all of his solo albums. I have heard everything up to and including "in the city of angels" though and a few here and there after that. I would say Animation is probably my favorite after Olias. I find SoS to be a bit spotty even though I like most of it.