Thread: Featured CD - Savatage : Streets - A Rock Opera

Featured CD - Savatage : Streets - A Rock Opera

From the previous incarnation of Transiberian Orchestra.

Per Geoff Orens at Allmusic:

Streets picked up where Gutter Ballet left off, taking Savatage's interest in progressive metal into a full-album concept. Based around a short story written by producer/songwriter Paul O' Neill, Streets is a diverse collection of songs about a lost soul trying to find himself in the New York City night. Although not based around real life events in the life of the band, it's obvious the group is quite attached to the material, turning out very emotional performances. Unlike many rock operas where the story suffers to further the music or vice versa, the band finds a nice compromise on Streets and is able to convey feelings of deep sorrow, elation, anger, and beauty, sometimes even on the same track. Opening with a snippet from Mozart's Magic Flute, the group quotes from a wide range of influences. "A Little Too Far" has a show tune quality to it, while the beautiful "Heal My Soul" takes its melody from an old Welsh lullaby. Both songs feature lead singer Jon Oliva alone with a piano. Savatage, who before Gutter Ballet had only written a handful of ballads, turns in several brilliant ones here, concluding with perhaps the band's greatest song, the dramatic and impassioned "Believe." That's not to say that there are not a fair share of rockers, as well. In fact, "Strange Reality," "Ghost in the Ruins," and "Jesus Saves" are among the leanest and most intense the band wrote, and Criss Oliva got more interesting as a guitar player with each successive album. While many metal guitarists seem only interested in technical displays, Oliva turns out material here that equals the heart-wrenching singing of his brother. Considering the intensity and beauty of the diverse material here, this is a fine place to start learning about this band.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/street...a-mw0000676534

Regards,

Duncan

I actually wrote a lengthy review for this one back in 2004, for Sea Of Tranquility's "Past & Present Classics" section. I may not feel as strongly about it now as I did then, but it's still my favorite album from the original line-up of the band:

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/sect...icle&artid=104
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Wow... I'll be getting off this ride now. Thanks but no thanks. :P

Amazon have been recommending this to me for the last few months but I haven't got round to listening to it. I'll be very interested to see where this discussion will go!

I listened to the video (skipping through it but enough to lock into its gist)

musically, its performed very well and some of the songs have very interesting arrangements . The problem is that there is also a HUGE 80s cheese-metal factor in their sound that the performances cant seem to shake off.

When I first got into Savatage, I really liked their more bombastic stuff the best. These days, I much prefer the first three albums: "Sirens", "The Power of the Night" and "The Dungeons are Calling". Still "Streets" is an excellent album and might be a good place to start a Savatage collection. I'm probably in the minority but I like Jon Oliva's voice over Zak Stevens.

I prefer Oliva as well, but I've always preferred vocal stylists over technical singers ...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I never cared for everything Savatage except Sirens, The Dungeons Are Calling mini LP and In The Hall Of The Mountain King
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Wow... I'll be getting off this ride now. Thanks but no thanks. :P
    Not the avant-tinged Canterbury excursion you were expecting?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Not the avant-tinged Canterbury excursion you were expecting?
    Well... one look at the album cover and my guess was spot on. Not that you should judge a book by it's cover eh? haha.

I really dug this album back in the day, despite Oliva's vocals. "Dead Winter Dead" went and blew it away, but I should try it again sometime.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I love Savatage, but I've never gotten around to picking this one up for some reason.