Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pot Stores in CO: What Music are They Playing?

Banned

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    There used to be an investment firm that had a "sin fund" - all investments in gambling, alcohol, tobacco stocks etc. Now there should be an all 'nabis industry fund. Nabis Co.

When I used to work in a congressional office we worked in a Federal office building and got to know a fair amount of folks working for federal agencies. The field agents for the FBI and DEA were great to have a couple beers with and listen to their stories. But the agents in charge, the head honchos, stone cold zealots and not an ounce of fun in any of them.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

A few days ago I read somewhere that you shouldn't have to have to fun in order to smoke weed. something like that. Might've been in The Onion.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    There used to be an investment firm that had a "sin fund" - all investments in gambling, alcohol, tobacco stocks etc. Now there should be an all 'nabis industry fund. Nabis Co.
    My wife discovered medical MJ is the only thing that helps her back pain after two horrific car accidents and we thought with the push towards greater acceptance of medical MJ or outright legalization that we should invest some money into this industry. I've done a lot of recent research and I found at this point in time every stock which is directly related to the medical or recreational MJ industry is either a "penny stock" or OTC (in both cases this means buying and selling shares is highly restrictive and the companies have zero regulations requiring financial disclosures of any kind making them unbelievably risky and buying shares - if you can find a broker that can even get them - makes about as much sense as a trip to Vegas). There is one exception I've been able to locate, a UK based company that trades on the NASDAQ called Growth Pharmaceutical. Their big product is Sativex which is an oral spray for treatment of MS and some possible cancer applications, but since it is still in clinical trials for use in the USA, this makes even GWPH highly speculative. The growing trend towards legalization of MJ would not likely have much of a positive effect on this stock but the growing acceptance of medical cannabis related products might.

I found there are currently no mutual funds that address the growth of the medical/recreational MJ industry - probably because the Fed can still prosecute banks who open accounts for these businesses as "money laundering partners" - though it appears there is some movement in DC to change those rules after WA & CO...but really, who knows what the DOJ might decide? Or when they might reverse their position? Interestingly, High Times magazine is supposedly putting a MJ based businesses fund together for a future offering, but it's only in the early stages now and is not something that can be traded in the markets...yet. If anyone is really curious, feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to tell you everything I know about this stuff.
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    My wife discovered medical MJ is the only thing that helps her back pain after two horrific car accidents and we thought with the push towards greater acceptance of medical MJ or outright legalization that we should invest some money into this industry. I've done a lot of recent research and I found at this point in time every stock which is directly related to the medical or recreational MJ industry is either a "penny stock" or OTC (in both cases this means buying and selling shares is highly restrictive and the companies have zero regulations requiring financial disclosures of any kind making them unbelievably risky and buying shares - if you can find a broker that can even get them - makes about as much sense as a trip to Vegas). There is one exception I've been able to locate, a UK based company that trades on the NASDAQ called Growth Pharmaceutical. Their big product is Sativex which is an oral spray for treatment of MS and some possible cancer applications, but since it is still in clinical trials for use in the USA, this makes even GWPH highly speculative. The growing trend towards legalization of MJ would not likely have much of a positive effect on this stock but the growing acceptance of medical cannabis related products might.

I found there are currently no mutual funds that address the growth of the medical/recreational MJ industry - probably because the Fed can still prosecute banks who open accounts for these businesses as "money laundering partners" - though it appears there is some movement in DC to change those rules after WA & CO...but really, who knows what the DOJ might decide? Or when they might reverse their position? Interestingly, High Times magazine is supposedly putting a MJ based businesses fund together for a future offering, but it's only in the early stages now and is not something that can be traded in the markets...yet. If anyone is really curious, feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to tell you everything I know about this stuff.
    The Marinol versus Savitex story is representative of the idiocy of the US vs the UK. Marinol was the first pot in a pill available by prescription in the US. It was 100% THC which had medicinal properties, however when not pared with the other canabinoids found in ancient breeds in the plant, it causes anxiety and even anxiety attacks. People didn't like the way it made them feel. Savitex is a 50/50 mix of THC and CBD, and CBD doesn't get you high however it has anti-anxiety and anti-inflammatory benefits. In fact there is a family in Florida who want to get Charlottes Web a pure CBD variety on sale in Colorado, legalized in Fl. They are fighting the state over the issue. CBD should be over the counter, it stimulates the human endocannabinoid system which is self protective. Yes our system produces it's own canabinoids, that's why we have receptors for them. Legal MJ when instituted with enforcement including licensed testing and guaranteed availability of the health strains of the plant is great. I just hope that this is how MJ becomes legal, high and healthy choices.

Careful about investments, this is an industry that will become competitive fast. I've read some disenchanted articles about MJ investments. Big alcohol and tobacco have been waiting years to swoop in.

I long for big tobacco to get in on legalized MJ! I can't wait to see the ads:

You've come a long way, baby. Now pig out and take a nap.

Marlboro - where the flavor, cotton mouth, and munchies are.

I'd walk a mile for a Camel. If I could get off my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    The Marinol versus Savitex story is representative of the idiocy of the US vs the UK. Marinol was the first pot in a pill available by prescription in the US. It was 100% THC which had medicinal properties, however when not pared with the other canabinoids found in ancient breeds in the plant, it causes anxiety and even anxiety attacks. People didn't like the way it made them feel. Savitex is a 50/50 mix of THC and CBD, and CBD doesn't get you high however it has anti-anxiety and anti-inflammatory benefits. In fact there is a family in Florida who want to get Charlottes Web a pure CBD variety on sale in Colorado, legalized in Fl. They are fighting the state over the issue. CBD should be over the counter, it stimulates the human endocannabinoid system which is self protective. Yes our system produces it's own canabinoids, that's why we have receptors for them. Legal MJ when instituted with enforcement including licensed testing and guaranteed availability of the health strains of the plant is great. I just hope that this is how MJ becomes legal, high and healthy choices.

Careful about investments, this is an industry that will become competitive fast. I've read some disenchanted articles about MJ investments. Big alcohol and tobacco have been waiting years to swoop in.
    Agreed. There is an incredible opportunity for upside here but be VERY VERY VERY careful before throwing money at ANY of these new MJ related stocks. The SEC actually issued a warning a few weeks ago telling possible investors to do extensive research before putting money in any of these. Most of these stocks are highly manipulated in a trading scheme called "pump and dump". Some of the less reputable of these new companies will issue unnecessary press releases in an attempt to run the stock up with artificial "news" which entices unwary investors to buy in...once the stock price jumps a huge amount, the insiders sell at a high price driving the shares way back down to where they started = pump and dump.

A different example is MedBox who makes kiosks that dispense MJ for pharmacy and possibly retail locations. In early January an interview with their CEO hit MSNBC and they jumped 80% in one day! In the 3 weeks since then, they've given all those gains back plus some. They seemed stable and exciting because they're not a penny stock and trade at $30+, but research shows a different picture. Their "brick and morter" HQ is actually a suite in West Hollywood with a grand total of 8 employees. Their most recent financial disclosure shows a total of ~$100K in cash on hand and debts of ~$240K. Not exactly what you expect to see in a $30 NASDAQ traded stock. Does that mean they're poorly run and won't become profitable? If I knew that I'd be wearing on open shirt and gold chains enjoying Love Beach (obligitary prog reference ) They might make it, they might not...either way, you need to research and understand the risks before buying anything. Clearly some of these new MJ stocks could become huge but just as many are as likely to go out of business with little warning leaving you holding their worthless stock. DO YOUR RESEARCH and know exactly what you're getting into before you spend a dime on any of these stocks.

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit...but I wanted to warn people that getting in on the MJ industry explosion is not nearly as easy as it sounds
    Last edited by WytchCrypt; 02-05-2014 at 04:05 PM.
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Banned
    Star-Spangled Banner - Francis Scott Key and John Stafford Smith

Last July 4th, the flag flown over the Capitol was special and composed from hemp. In June of last year a bill was passed which includes the first steps to legal production of hemp in the US. Last week, the new law was in effect:

http://rt.com/usa/feds-step-hemp-legalization-647/

http://abcnews.go.com/m/blogEntry?id....google.com%2F
    Last edited by Firth; 02-06-2014 at 06:59 AM.

Mmm... I need a big old glass of ice cold Hemp Seed Oil!

Perhaps in the pot stores they're singing songs from the Neal Morse "Sing it High" Song Book. I just saw that listed on the Radiant site and had a laugh!

Banned
    Or maybe you need a big old ass greased up with hemp seed oil

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Or maybe you need a big old ass greased up with hemp seed oil
    Hmmm....Vaporizers, pipes & bongs, joints, baked goods...and now suppositories??
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Hmmm....Vaporizers, pipes & bongs, joints, baked goods...and now suppositories??
    That gives a new meaning to "getting your ass high"

They're "high"-erring! Greatest job ever? http://www.hightimes.com/read/get-pa...ke-weed-denver
    Last edited by Obscured; 02-07-2014 at 11:52 PM.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Man have I got the munchies. I feel like Stacey Keech in "Up In Smoke."

there are some comps of songs whose subject matter is all mj. http://www.amazon.com/Marijuana-Madn...ijuana+madness

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Voyage 34 - The Complete Trip

Banned
    Tommy Chong's 420 Comedy Redonkulous

Next: Sun, Jul 20 at 3:30 AM ET/PT on
    SHO NEXT
    http://www.sho.com/sho/comedy/titles...-comedy-at-420
    Last edited by Firth; 07-13-2014 at 08:40 AM.

Any PEers in Alaska or Oregon, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Any PEers in Alaska or Oregon, PM me.
    "North to Alaska, we go north, the rush is on"
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Suspended
    John Denver - Rocky Mountain High

Stevie Wonder - Too High

PF - High Hopes

-------------------------
    and in the complaints & refunds department:

The Verve - The Drugs Don't Work

Banned
    Yet To Be - Oregon

Banned
    The District of Columbia - Joe Burden