Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How about a 'classic' Genesis reunion w/o Gabriel? (stop the PC bashing)

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Why should he or Steve be especially close to guys they haven't worked with for 40 years?
    I used to work with my best friend about twenty years ago, but I no longer do. He's still my best friend - there are no rules to friendship as far as I'm aware. Tony and Peter were best friends from a very early age, and despite a lot of arguing during the early Genesis days (who didn't Tony argue with, though?) and a somewhat upsetting split from the band, they remain friends to this day, as both have attested to. I'm not sure why people want to think otherwise, but to each their own. I don't know if Mike is really that close to anyone other than Tony and Phil, harder to tell since he is interviewed far less often and mumbles in that Prince Charles way of his anyway.

As for "Please Don't Touch", the interesting thing is that Phil saw Steve after the album was released and commented that he and Andy (his first wife) really liked it, and that "it didn't sound like that when we rehearsed it..."
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    You would think the band has a pro video of The Lamb somewhere too...
    My boot vinyl copy of the Milton Keynes reunion is called "Gabacabriel". Very good sound quality. Nowhere near sb.
    The best version I've heard is the TM Productions remaster.

O.K. - I'm ready for the bashing to begin:
    I always wondered if the tracks for "Acolyte" that include Phil & Mike may have been left over from Genesis sessions.
    Music that was decided would not be included on a Genesis project. Perhaps not. Both Phil & Mike were also on the 1st Anthony Phillips lp "The Geese & The Ghost" around the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by mshare View Post
    The best version I've heard is the TM Productions remaster.
    I'll have to look for that. I assume it's the same recording, which has good fidelity, but tons or crowd noise. I heard that there is more than one recording, but this is still the best. I did see a recent post of the rehearsal for this show. Have any of you heard that?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I don't get why we would need to reunite those guys. The Steve Hackett Genesis Revisited Tour was good enough for me, and in nice intimate theaters as well. The only thing that would have improved it, would be Phil Collins signature drum style, but he can't play anymore, so it's pointless.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I think if PG would release one more REAL album, and do a couple of Genesis covers on a tour, that'd be a great idea. And I love what Hackett's done with the Genesis Revisited shows (which for me sort of builds on what TMB did with their Genesis tribute shows.) But I don't feel any need for the band to reunite. I'm pretty sure it'd be disappointing in some way.

During the interviews for "Nursery Cryme," Steve and Phil discussed their submitting "For Absent Friends" as "the new guys," and both Mike and Tony seemed to be a bit defensive about "of COURSE we used it, we didn't care who wrote the material as long as it was good." I think Mike and Tony get a certain amount of unwarranted flak for being dismissive of material that isn't theirs and they work extra hard about reminding people that the band was a democracy. Then someone makes a crack about Tony being territorial about his keyboards and that idea goes all to hell.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    For me personally, I would love to see Steve and Tony write and record something together.
    I too would love that, probably more than anything else.

Re: Six Of The Best concert.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I'll have to look for that. I assume it's the same recording, which has good fidelity, but tons or crowd noise. I heard that there is more than one recording, but this is still the best. I did see a recent post of the rehearsal for this show. Have any of you heard that?
    The version I have, if I remember correctly, is pieced together from three different recordings. It's been awhile since I've listened to it, but I gather that they used whatever the best recording they could find for the majority of it, then used the other one or two sources to patch the gaps that are presumably on the "good" source.

I remember someone telling me he had a copy of that show, where apparently everyone in the immediate vicinity of the taper apparently knew every word to every song, and insisted on demonstrating it.

Quote Originally Posted by time captain View Post
    I always wondered if the tracks for "Acolyte" that include Phil & Mike may have been left over from Genesis sessions.
    Music that was decided would not be included on a Genesis project.
    It's possible, but somewhat doubtful, I'd say. The writing on that album doesn't sound much like Genesis to me, even if the arrangements do.

Hackett has said he had relatively few writing credits on Trick of the Tail because he'd used most of his available stock of material in doing Voyage.

Some of the Acolyte material was rehearsed to some degree as far back as Foxtrot. Mike gets a co-writing credit on that stuff. That album marked the first time Phil had ever worked to a click track.

Mike originally was going to have a much greater role in Geese but had to focus on the Genesis tour. Interesting that Phil sang on so many projects back then before even assuming that role in Genesis. Remember his first work with Ant was "Silver Song", a song written about one of Phil's own predecessors John Silver!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I remember someone telling me he had a copy of that show, where apparently everyone in the immediate vicinity of the taper apparently knew every word to every song, and insisted on demonstrating it.
    Yep, that's the one pictured above, "Gabacabriel." Personally, I go to hear the band, not the crowd. Singing is even more annoying than clapping on the beat, but not nearly as annoying as the asshole standing in front of me dancing.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The thing is I seriously doubt Steve would be involved if PG wasn't involved. Sure the non PG SH era had two albums but still I doubt it would happen at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    The thing is I seriously doubt Steve would be involved if PG wasn't involved. Sure the non PG SH era had two albums but still I doubt it would happen at this stage.
    If this is true.... and I hope not, I don't see this happening except for a Phil, Tony, Mike, Darryl, and Chester lineup, with a set list like their final tour but far less visuals to keep costs down. Would Peter actually spend the time to rehearse, and such, and his voice has changed too? Would Gabriel, Phil, Mike, etc. demand to add as many of their solo or poppy Genesis songs into the mix? I don't know, perhaps some of you are right, just leave the wonderful old memories alone. It's just I wish that their lasting fame won't be seen by most as: Misunderstanding, Invisible Touch, and I Can't Dance.

Personally, I think Hackett was the key for continued creativity in the band. With the exception `Your Own Special Way, ATOTT and W&W IMHO are on par with Gabriel-era classic Genesis. Phil can sing the old stuff well-enough. Just do it before they get too old, can't, or pass on.

Batman Slaps RobinHackettprogSM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by time captain View Post
    Music that was decided would not be included on a Genesis project. Perhaps not. Both Phil & Mike were also on the 1st Anthony Phillips lp "The Geese & The Ghost" around the same time.
    Except the majority of Phil & Mike's contributions to TG&tG were actually done in 1974, 3 years prior to that album's release. Mike then had to curtail his activities with Ant's project to focus on the Lamb, and of course all of this was before anyone had any inkling that Peter would leave and Phil would become the singer. For other reasons, Ant's project was delayed, and afterwards (even until this day) he has spent a fair amount of time trying to clear up the "you were just using the Genesis singer" comments that were rife following the release of TG&tG

Anthony Phillip's The Geese and the Ghost IMHO is a masterpiece. Wish he would so more than nature soundtracks, as I loved Sides and first Private Parts and pieces work too.

Change of subject- I know a few have criticized Steve for his Genesis projects, that he was a milking the cash cow, but if you saw him on stage, his expressions to the music as he was performing, how he was lip-synching the words to Blood on the Rooftops and Supper's Ready, etc. This clearly shows the passion he has for the classic Genesis material.

This is from Nad Sylvan's post on FB; shows the character of the man:

Nov. 17th:

" It is time to tell you a little story from the road, in fact this happened in Philadelphia on the 13th of October, right before we went back home to Europe again. At a red light, we saw this homeless little family with a toddler. Heatbreaking. So three seconds after it turned green, Steve shouted "Stop the van, pull over...I have got to give these people some money!". So out he went, and ran all the way back to them with a handful of empathy. I don't think they knew who he was, and little did it matter. I hope you understand this man is a dream to work with, and likewise to know "behind the scene". Brian, our tour manager to the left making sure Steve is coming back OK. He did, with a big smile on his face! "

Quote Originally Posted by LEG-art View Post

Change of subject- I know a few have criticized Steve for his Genesis projects, that he was a milking the cash cow, but if you saw him on stage, his expressions to the music as he was performing, how he was lip-synching the words to Blood on the Rooftops and Supper's Ready, etc. This clearly shows the passion he has for the classic Genesis material.
    Wait, he was doing Supper's Ready on this last tour?! And it didn't even come to Cleveland. Oh well, I've seen The Musical Box do it three times, so that's better than nothing I guess.

Wait, he was doing Supper's Ready on this last tour?! And it didn't even come to Cleveland. Oh well, I've seen The Musical Box do it three times, so that's better than nothing I guess.
    Steve's Live version of Supper's Ready was the best rendition I have heard since Genesis played it at MSG in `77. The only thing I would have preferred was a stronger guitar right after Willowfarm. Funny, the power went out twice on Nad's vocals and the audience filled in for him. Very emotional.

The version I have, if I remember correctly, is pieced together from three different recordings. It's been awhile since I've listened to it, but I gather that they used whatever the best recording they could find for the majority of it, then used the other one or two sources to patch the gaps that are presumably on the "good" source..
    "Gabacabriel" is apparently the best source but it's missing a large chunk of Supper's Ready, apparently the guy's tape had to be changed. Every version I've heard has that gap.

The rehearsal recordings are also floating around. Much better sound quality and decent playing, though it's interesting to hear how much Gabriel holds back when he's not onstage.

Suspended
    No "Lamb" sequel, PLEEEAAASE. Just don't. Leave perfection alone.

As for reunion concerts, I have no problem with Phil as a singer, though I'm not so keen on his front-of-stage persona as evident on the Invisible Touch tour - hopefully he has mellowed somewhat by now. One has to ask, though, what purpose a reunion concert would serve, if the band is no longer an organic entity. they are NOT going to reform for a tour on which they do large portions of Foxtrot or Selling England. The unpalatable truth is, at this stage of the game I would probably get more enjoyment out of seeing and hearing The Musical Box.

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway 2: Lie Harder
    The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway 2: The Lambening

The Lamb Gets Up from Broadway and Lies Down Again.

Suspended
    The Wolf of Wall Street bounds up Broadway and spies a little lamb taking a nap there in the road.

The PE Community Eats Lamb Chops Just Off-Broadway

Lamb-a-bam-a-ding-dong