Thread: Upgrading Windows OS ?

Upgrading Windows OS ?

I have an XP desktop that came with a disc to allow an upgrade to Vista. My question, would that Vista upgrade be then able to be upgraded to Windows7 ?
    Also, would it be reasonable to assume most programs compatable with XP would run on 7 too?
    And also,also, any thoughts on SSD's , solid state hard drives? Im looking at a Dell that runs a 512gb hard drive. Im finding difficulty in locating online reviews. Concerns are longevity and reliability. I know they're considered to be fast .

Not sure about the upgrade, but SSDs should be a lot more reliable than the old hard drives as they have no moving parts.

What amazes Me is this thread was starting 12 minutes ago and it is already indexed in Google !!!!!!
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

The upgrade may be possible. There will be a lot of cruft left behind and you will probably have to reinstall applications.
    You will also be locked into 32bit vista and potentially 7. Functional, but if your computer can run 64bit it would be better to back up your files and wipe and install a clean copy of vista or 7 64 bit.

As far as SSD goes, they are awesomely fast. Prices have fallen to almost reasonable levels.
    Reliability statistics are still being collected.
    Old skool hard drives are pretty reliable for the first 3 years or so, SSD's are a still developing product.
    Their long term lifespan has not been as good as hard drives on average.
    They wear out in a different way. The memory cells have a 'lifespan of writes' measured in the hundreds of thousands.
    Depending on your usage, that could be years and years, or just years.
    If you are someone with the extra bucks to burn on an SSD get one. They are really fast.
    But always remember to do regular backups of your valuable files.

mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Skip Vista and go right to Windows 7, if your computer has the resources to run it, that is. Yes, it needs more power and RAM than before but it is the best OS Microsoft has produced to date. Stable and quick. Stay away from MS 8 unless you have the new touch screens. It is made for tablets and touch control, not typical keyboard/mouse control.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Went to download a free audio plug-in yesterday and discovered it needs at least Windows 7 to run. Not looking forward to upgrading...all the software I bought might become useless.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Went to download a free audio plug-in yesterday and discovered it needs at least Windows 7 to run. Not looking forward to upgrading...all the software I bought might become useless.
    Be wary of 'free Audio or video plugin's' if they do not come from the developers official site.
    Many times they are infested with Bad Things and cause issues far beyond not being able to play some random sounds.
    A little research goes a long way.

Some software may not work in win 7. Unless it is really old and really unsupported vendors had patches to at least get their software functional under 7.

mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

This was a plug-in from a reputable site. Native Instruments is giving away a nice compressor plug-in until January 1st.

I'm talking about over $800 worth of DAW software and drum plug-ins...guess I should do some research. There are newer versions than what I have, but they will require more fees to upgrade.
    <sig out of order>

Thanks guys.

Don't do it. Never upgrade operating systems w/o a new computer, never worth it.

Typically, Google searches will bring up lots of great, useful information from people generally better suited to answer than a bunch of aging prog fans still stuck with their turntables.

Be that as it may, my advice is to just buy a new computer. They are cheap these days. I upgraded about 2 years ago to a knockoff brand made by a local computer chain called "Microcenter". Paid $450 for a new desktop and kept the flat monitor I had because it still operates fine. Only downside to upgrading now is that Windows 8 is the OS, and it does take quite a bit of getting used to. That said, you can make Windows 8 boot up to a typical desktop screen you'd find in 7 and earlier. There's no real advantage to getting a computer with an SSD unless you have special considerations.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Typically, Google searches will bring up lots of great, useful information from people generally better suited to answer than a bunch of aging prog fans still stuck with their turntables.

Be that as it may, my advice is to just buy a new computer. They are cheap these days. I upgraded about 2 years ago to a knockoff brand made by a local computer chain called "Microcenter". Paid $450 for a new desktop and kept the flat monitor I had because it still operates fine. Only downside to upgrading now is that Windows 8 is the OS, and it does take quite a bit of getting used to. That said, you can make Windows 8 boot up to a typical desktop screen you'd find in 7 and earlier. There's no real advantage to getting a computer with an SSD unless you have special considerations.
    Didnt think of that. Found a Costco Dell with Win7 for 399. Might take that route.