Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Want to Hold Your Hand 50 years ago

I Want to Hold Your Hand 50 years ago

Today marks the 50th anniversary of the Capitol 45 single release of "I Want to Hold Your Hand". And all hell broke loose.
    Glad I was there however young.

And when I touch you I feel happy inside.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    I Want to Hold Your Hand 50 years ago
    Why? I was just a baby then...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Why? I was just a baby then...
    You used to be so cute.

Banned
    "The Beatles want to hold your hand, but the Stones want to burn your town." - Tom Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by melydave View Post
    50 years.. wow!
    Now when Paul sings "When I'm 64" he has to change the tense.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Now when Paul sings "When I'm 64" he has to change the tense.
    "Will I have divorced you, when I was 64?"

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Today marks the 50th anniversary of the Capitol 45 single release of "I Want to Hold Your Hand". And all hell broke loose.
    Glad I was there however young.
    Seeing them perform it on the Ed Sullivan Show literally changed my life. I planned a career in one of the several sciences I was fascinated with; they made me decide to become a musician... bastards!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Seeing them perform it on the Ed Sullivan Show literally changed my life.
    Same here. (And probably for many others too)

Me three. It's all cuz of Ed Sullivan.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    If you want to hold my hand 50 years ago you're going to need a time machine. Could you bring along a list of all of the NFL scores since then and let me know which stock to buy when I turn 18?

When the northeast blackout hit in '65 I was crying for my mother to hold my hand because I was afraid of the dark and my older brother tormented me by singing "I want to hold your hand".

Banned
    Fuck it. It was important and awesome...

I always loved that bitchin' Rickenbacher John played.

I'm 52 and the Beatles are not my earliest memory. I probably saw them on the Ed Sullivan show because my grandparents watched it all the time and I lived with them when my parents were in college. I remember my grandfather called every boy with long hair a Beatle. I heard that from a few other people as well. Then some time later I saw a cartoon show on TV called The Beatles with cartoon characters based on the real Beatles. I liked it but I thought it was just about four boys with long hair.

The only pop music (or Rock & Roll) artists I remember before the Beatles were Elvis, and Frankie And The Four Seasons. I had a group of friends that were all around the same age, between 7 and 10 years old. They had a teenaged older sister so she was a typical 14 year old in 1964. She had Elvis plastered all over her room. She had all the Elvis 45s and the Four Seasons 45s. Then The Beatles just showed up on Ed Sullivan one Sunday and we all went bonkers. For me that's when Rock & Roll started. I never liked Elvis. I always thought he was just a teen idol for 14 year old sisters . But there were the four of them waving their guitars in our faces and "Ringo' playing drums and shaking his head. All that hair and "woooooos" made us crazy. It was fabulous.

Ed Sullivan was the anti-christ.

I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Wow, 50 years.....and I was there to enjoy it.

My first concert, The Beatles....Metropolitan Stadium, minneapolis, 1965.....my mom too me!

My mom was pregnant with me when they appeared on Ed Sullivan, but they had a huge impact on my older sisters. They were always so thrilled that I was named after Paul McCartney.

But the first albums I was ever aware of were the first two Capitol releases and the Hard Day's Night soundtrack. We played them til the grooves wore out.

If you want to get a feel for Beatlemania circa 1964 check out the Washington DC concert film.

And is it just me or does Paul McCartney's bass sound *awesome*? Was there any other bassists in pop music pushing the lower register like that at the time?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

That show always makes me laugh, with that business surrounding Ringo's 'revolving' drum stand. Hard to believe, really!

I didn't get into them until 30 years later, around the time of that BBC album and the Anthology...they had the same effect then, and will doubtless continue to do so.

1st time on Sullivan (approx 2 months before I turned 7)... my parents thought their music & hair were "terrible." my 24 yo son finds it nearly impossible to believe that that hair was considered 'long'. Back then, I asked my dad if it was okay to be excited and happy (I was excited about The Beatles just like everybody else that was young), since we were still in the wake of the JFK assassination. he said yes.

Last edited by davis; 12-30-2013 at 12:00 PM.

My grandfather loved Ed Sullivan and my grandparents visited us every Sunday. He knew we didn't want to watch the guys with the spinning plates and Topo Gigio, so he always said, "But, The Beatles are on tonight!" just to get us to let him watch.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I think those of us lucky enough to have been born in the '50s experienced an explosive growth in music, and such an unbelievable wealth in talent, that no other generation can ever equal. We were truly blessed.

They may as well have cancelled school ther next day; even the younger teachers were gushing.
    Everything changed.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Indescribable. What memories!
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like