Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Haul

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I bought myself a 310-year-old map of the North Pole that depicts numerous explorers' routes in search of the Northwest and Northeast Passages. The map also shows California as an island, considered to be one of the most infamous mistakes in the history of cartography.
    WOW, that is an interesting pick. I would like to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    WOW, that is an interesting pick. I would like to see that.
    It seems the auction link is still up:

http://www.oldworldauctions.com/deta..._id=2145260317

Clicking on the image on this page will launch a new page, and clicking on that image will launch a hi-res version that you can zoom in on.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    It seems the auction link is still up:

http://www.oldworldauctions.com/deta..._id=2145260317

Clicking on the image on this page will launch a new page, and clicking on that image will launch a hi-res version that you can zoom in on.
    Looks like a great catch. But well, I love maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Looks like a great catch. But well, I love maps.
    Yeah, it's really cool and in really good condition. I now have to pay a couple hundred bucks to get it framed right.

That auction has some pretty cool items.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    the funko pop collection grew:

already had in the lair:
    agent smith
    jen
    kira
    ursol the chanter
    gold cthulhu

over the holidays:
    luke skywalker (ceremony as a gift)
    Jyn Erso (gift)
    Aughra (bought)
    Rollo (bought)
    Floki (bought)
    Captain Cassian Andor (bought)

Somewhere I have a Han Solo in winter gear and a Wonder woman...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I had little haul to speak of this Christmas as I'd pretty much already bought myself what I'd wanted. I hadn't yet unwrapped the 2nd Kate Bush box, so I threw that under the tree so I could pretend it was from my wife. She gave me a couple of nice things, just not music related. I gave her a Shirley Jackson biography she'd been wanting, and a collection of Shirley Jackson novels and short stories.

My kids got most of what they wanted, so all is copacetic.

Jon Neudorf
    I got some nice stuff. A Fitbit and headphones.
    My daughter bought me a couple of Sabbath discs; Dehumanizer and Mob Rules and Amorphis - Queen of Time. Also received the latest Kamelot CD.
    Went out today and picked up the new Greta van Fleet and Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    I got some nice stuff. A Fitbit and headphones.
    My daughter bought me a couple of Sabbath discs; Dehumanizer and Mob Rules and Amorphis - Queen of Time. Also received the latest Kamelot CD.
    Went out today and picked up the new Greta van Fleet and Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

Jon
    Nice! You're set for a while.

Besides some stocking stuffers like candy and underwear, she-who-must-be-obeyed and the kids got me some cider and stouts. Brother-in-law in Germany sent some limoncello, pastry, and a nutcracker figurine. After Thanksgiving she-etc. sends me on a record-buying run to get myself items that she'll wrap and put under the tree, as she doesn't know what I have or want. By Christmas I forget what I bought a month earlier, so it's sort of a surprise. This year got a Gram Parson's tribute on DVD including the ubiquitous Keith Richards, a Groundhogs set on DVD, a Brian Wilson/SMiLE on DVD, and few CDS by Charlie Louvin, steel-player JD Maness, X-Ray Spex, and the Burrito Bros. My daughter and her boy friend found some pre-Code movie box sets and a couple Roscoe Arbuckle silent sets for me. Good haul, but the best part was having my son home for good after spending 5.5 years working overseas. His first Christmas home with us in years.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

The wife spoiled me again this year with the Novalis Schmetterlinge 16-disc boxed set as well as the complete Are You Being Served? 14-DVD collection. Great choices! In my stocking also was the latest PROG mag (that's nice because I've let my subscription lapse) and a nice bottle of Amarone to enjoy while I flip through it. It was a lovely day!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I got next to nothing, because that was my request after spending money on an antique map earlier in the year and then ordering over $600.00 of custom framing for that and three other antique prints.

But, I did get a few things, including the deluxe edition of Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On?" and some deep-dish pizza pans.

I'm gettin' nuttin' for Christmas,
    Mommy and Daddy are mad!
    I'm gettin' nuttin' for Christmas,
    Cause I ain't been nuttin' but bad...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

My in laws asked me what I wanted for Christmas, so I sent them an amazon link to a book of letters and journal entries by a girl who died in a concentration camp - it's supposed to be uplifting, which I believe. But they totally ignored it and sent me, from Amazon, a Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll. LOL!

Three years later. Today I got a great Christmas Haul. I’m very fortunate!

- $$ from the in-laws, some of which I spent on the big VDGG box set (paid thru the nose because I wasn’t planning on buying this, and Amazon was the ONLY place that had it in stock, but at retail or something! Not gonna think about it!)

- The Zappa Track-By-Track book from my son

- A much-touted horror novel called “Lost Tongues” by someone on a horror subReddit. Got this for myself.

- A really nice sweater from my wife

- Also from my wife, a couple of useful kitchen things: a really good cutting board from Etsy, and a highly-rated omelet pan.

- I did a Secret Santa with someone from one of the pipe-tobacco forums; I got a few very good and interesting, well-aged tins of tobacco. Very nice! I gave the other guy some good stuff but not as well aged.

Now, to make our traditional Christmas breakfast of popovers…

Have a fun morning, to those celebrating! What did you haul in?

I hauled in a DEAD FURNACE! Died at 1AM. If i was bad this year at least I’d have some Coal for the Fireplace!

Repair place DID answer the phone on Christmas morning….so there’s that. But no repair until Monday morning.

Oh…..we’re expecting 2” - 5” of snow today.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

There were nine CDs under the tree for me this morning from my wife:

Quatermass - Quatermass CD/DVD edition
    Alphonse Mouzon - Mind Transplant
    Budgie - Squawk
    Rare Bird - Epic Forest
    Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla and Sad Wings Of Destiny
    Leprous - Aphelion
    Rick Wakeman - Return To The Centre Of The Earth
    Tim Blake - Crystal Machine

Merry Christmas everyone!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    I hauled in a DEAD FURNACE! Died at 1AM. If i was bad this year at least I’d have some Coal for the Fireplace!

Repair place DID answer the phone on Christmas morning….so there’s that. But no repair until Monday morning.
    That kind of things always happen on holidays. I think we had once a leak in the kitchensink on New Years Eve, just before the weekend I think, so we had to wait till the next Monday before someone could repair it.

I got some nice presents from people were I take care of the cats and other animals.
    One family spend a package with all kinds of food stuff.
    One family spend an amaryllis
    One family spend some pastry
    So I suppose I'm appreciated as kitty-sitter.

Decent haul this year. Candy, dried figs, and scratch lottery tickets (a couple dollar winners) as stocking stuffers. Under the "tree" (a camera tripod with a crude drawing of a tree taped to it) from my wife and kids a CD of early Real Kids rehearsals and demos from 1975 and 1976, the Strawbs 3-disk Deadlines set, the 2-DVD set of Romantic Warriors: Krautrock 2, some gloves that I needed when riding my bicycle in the cold, and a couple of 16-oz Bone-Up brewery glasses.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Chip clips, Socks, and a book. Somewhat slow X-Mas here.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    A wallet, suspenders, knife rack (mwa ha ha), genesis memorabilia, a bunch of clothes.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    genesis memorabilia
    One of these days I'm going to start a Genesis memorabilia thread.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Salt licorice, a bottle o' Monkey Shoulder, a THRAK T-shirt, and some CDs off my Wishlist:
    Tangerine Dream - The Sessions VI
    Trio of Doom
    Eric Dolphy - Conversations
    Eric Dolphy - Iron Man
    I'd put these two on my Wishlist because the samples seemed to sound better than the same material from the recent Musical Prophet set.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    A wallet, suspenders, knife rack (mwa ha ha), genesis memorabilia, a bunch of clothes.
    Suspenders? You must share a photo.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Suspenders? You must share a photo.
    I don't want to drive the PE gals crazy!!

I got a $100 Amazon gift certificate today (gone now) and the Obama and Springsteen book.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)