Thread: THE TANGENT: "Music Inspired By Music Inspired By The Snow Goose"

THE TANGENT: "Music Inspired By Music Inspired By The Snow Goose"

From (the recently shorn) Andy Tillison's facebook page:

OK - I think we can officially call this some Tangent NEWS!

Feel free to share this as there is "A Good Cause" involved.

As a bit of a Christmas treat for Tangent peoples we will release a short video made last weekend. This will feature a multi overdub performance of an 8 minute long instrumental piece inspired by my very happy visit to the Barbican to see Camel this year.

The piece is called "Music Inspired By Music Inspired By The Snow Goose" and I should stress that this is NOT a cover version of anything by Camel. It has obvious influences thereof, but it is an original piece nonetheless. It features just myself performing, on keyboards. Sally filmed it here as it was being recorded, at our home last weekend, we had a lot of fun. And this track is about "doing it for FUN". It is not part of any forthcoming Tangent release. It's the band's first proper stand-alone instrumental track.

We will be making this available free on the 24th December - if all goes to plan at 20.00 hrs (8 pm) GMT/UTC (15.00 EST 12.00 PST) . It will be a Youtube Video - in 720p HD format and we'll post it on our Facebook page and the Tangent Website at the same time. An MP3 and FLAC version will also be available from our shop and significant proceeds from these sales will be donated to Cancer charities in honour of Andy Latimer's remarkable return to us and in anticipation of the same happy ending to the ordeal that my friend Christina from Magenta is now going through.

My recent haircut, in which all the long hair ended up in a bin somewhere in Leeds was the first move in a "Follow Christina all the way" plan which I discussed with Christina some weeks ago now. I have told her unreservedly that if she does, as is quite likely, lose her hair to Chemotherapy, that I will be going bald with her. If that happens, I will be coming to you all wanting your money! The Tangent have played many many gigs with Magenta, (we first met in the USA in 2005) during which time I have come to like them very much as people and as a musical unit.

Apparently Gilles Lefevre is very excited about this.

As the video is made available we're hoping that a few folks will be able to make it to the Tangent Facebook group page. between 20.00 and 22.00 GMT
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/alltangentmembers/ for a Christmas chinwag.

As we move into the Christmas week, I wish everyone a very happy time whatever they are doing. 2013 has been a fantastic year to be in the Progressive Music Scene. For me it's been a monster. I got to play with Jonas Reingold again, worked with Gavin Harrison, Saw Camel (who would have thunk?), Wilson, Magenta, Focus, Credo, Landmarq, played some keyboards for BBT - did a precarious gig on a coffee table stage with Matt Stevens without any rehearsal, and got to sing a very small part for The Flower Kings. Won an award from the CRS ( a majorly great honour) Made some great new friends both in life and on the net, some in both - and I have nearly a whole new album's worth of material ready to start work on in 2014 - "Pre Orders Alert!!".

Sally Collyer has continued to be at the centre of my life as a partner, ally, manager, archivist, publicist, camerawoman, and general amazing person. She even notched up her own award this year when she was mentioned in despatches in one of Progarchy.com's "best of the year" articles.

So from Sally and From Me.. Merry Christmas and hope we'll see you Tuesday. Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I checked the calendar - no, it's definitely not April's Fool!
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Nope, no joke! :P
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

What will be next?
    Music inspired by Tommy?
    Music inspired by music inspired by Lord of the rings?
    Music inspired by music inspired by Watership down?
    The list will be endless.

From Andy:

IT'S CHRIIIIISSSSMAAASSSSS!!

The Tangent would like to wish all our members a VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS and hope that you will enjoy this light hearted homage video that Sally and I have made as our "Musical Christmas Card". Made in one afternoon at Tangent Towers, this is a piece i composed on the old organ (in the video) after having been treated to seeing Camel - something I thought I would never do again. You can buy a special download of this at the Tangent website and - particularly for people new to the band - the download comes with High Quality Video, Audio and a selection of tracks spanning the careers of Po90, The Tangent, GFDD and ATD solo.... Substantial donations from profits will be made to Cancer charities. Thanks to all of you for your support this year and have a great great Christmas!!!!

How fun was that? And the shout outs to Andy L, Christina B, and Peter B at the end were really touching.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Good fun indeed! I think it's a lovely thing Andy is doing and I've just purchased it from thetangent.org.... A .zip file of goodies currently on its way down the pipeline. I hope others will do the same.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Downloading now! That was great, and a nice Christmas gift!

Old man of prog
    OK I must be stupid. I cannot find the link to buy the download on the Tangent site

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    OK I must be stupid. I cannot find the link to buy the download on the Tangent site
    It's right there on the front page of the site...?

I tried clicking on the Buy Now, 4.50 Tab on the Tangent web page and it didn't take me to a download page. I listened to the song. It's good. Not sure why I can't sort it out. I bought their last 2 releases from The Tangent web site.

Hmmm that is strange. I clicked on that same link and had no problem...?

Banned
    Listening to the YouTube now. The guitar leads on keyboards are interesting. Thanks so much for creating this.

great stuff. Tillison is such a talent. I see that Andy's gotten rid of his wild red hair! New phase for Andy?

Quote Originally Posted by itserik View Post
    I see that Andy's gotten rid of his wild red hair! New phase for Andy?
    He mentions why, if you care to re-read.

I managed to get my download. Lot of stuff there for anyone who hasn't gotten too deep into the Tangent catalogue. Good sampling of the whole gamut, if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by itserik View Post
    great stuff. Tillison is such a talent. I see that Andy's gotten rid of his wild red hair! New phase for Andy?
    He's an amazing musician, I had the amazing experience of playing a set with him at Celelbr8 and he's "proper good"! And a very decent bloke.