Thread: Small Faces reunion!

Small Faces reunion!

The Faces keyboardist Ian McLagan says the band aren’t interested in working with Rod Stewart in 2015, despite the frontman saying he’s finally ready to stage a reunion.

A gathering of the original line-up has been discussed for several years, but after plans kept being put on hold they went out with SImply Red frontman Mick Hucknall in Stewart’s place during 2010 and 2011, following a 2009 charity show at which Stewart failed to appear.

Last week the original vocalist said he was finally ready to commit – but McLagan insists he and drummer Kenney Jones want to spend 2015 focusing on the anniversary of earlier outfit the Small Faces, which didn’t include Stewart.

The keyboardist tells Uncut: “It’s interesting that Rod announced these things without talking to me or Kenney. Why would we fuck around with the Faces when we’ve got bigger fish to fry?

“We’ve done the Faces – and he didn’t turn up.”

The Small Faces were formed by Steve Marriott in 1965 alongside Jones, Ronnie Lane and Jimmy Winston. McLagan replaced Winston the following year. Frontman Marriott left to launch Humble Pie in 1969, and the Small Faces were created with the addition of former Jeff Beck Group members Stewart and Ronnie Wood, who’s now with the Rolling Stones.

But the door isn’t locked tight against a Faces reunion, without late bassist Lane. “Rod says he’s keen to do it now, and I believe him,” McLagan says. “But he’ll have to wait until 2016, because 2015 is the Small Faces’ year.”
    Last edited by Rufus; 12-24-2013 at 04:12 AM.

If they're doing gigs it'll be interesting to see who gets the Lane & Marriott spots - maybe Roderick could give us a rendition of Happiness Stan!
    What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

They might be good to go on one of those 60's tours with Freddie & the Dreamers, Tremeloes et al but no Marriott, no Laine = no Small Faces!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    They might be good to go on one of those 60's tours with Freddie & the Dreamers, Tremeloes et al but no Marriott, no Laine = no Small Faces!
    Phil Collins ruined Genesis. Ooops, wrong thread. Rufus, get over it. They're dead. Marriot made the mistake of falling asleep with a joint in his mouth. Lane sat out the Small Faces reunion in the '70s. So, what makes you think he would be up for it now(if he were alive)? The Faces thing worked with Mick out front. This should work too. Btw, who's going to be singing and playing guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    The Faces keyboardist Ian McLagan says the band aren’t interested in working with Rod Stewart in 2015, despite the frontman saying he’s finally ready to stage a reunion.

Last week the original vocalist said he was finally ready to commit – but McLagan insists he and drummer Kenney Jones want to spend 2015 focusing on the anniversary of earlier outfit the Small Faces, which didn’t include Stewart.
    End of story, really!!!

Maybe Rod and Ian are confused with what "small" means...

Pretty soon, Rod will want to tour with The Pretty Faces (mmmhhh!!!... Things , of course )... but it will be easy for them to tell the ugly Rod to go f... himself
    Last edited by Trane; 12-24-2013 at 06:05 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Phil Collins ruined Genesis. Ooops, wrong thread. Rufus, get over it. They're dead. Marriot made the mistake of falling asleep with a joint in his mouth. Lane sat out the Small Faces reunion in the '70s. So, what makes you think he would be up for it now(if he were alive)? The Faces thing worked with Mick out front. This should work too. Btw, who's going to be singing and playing guitar?

You may as well do a Beatles 'reunion' as well.

earlier outfit the Small Faces, which didn’t include Stewart.
    I always thought that they were still called the Small Faces when Rod Stewart first joined, as the First Step album was so credited. Not until recently did I learn that it was only in the USA that the album was released under the Small Faces name, and the British edition already bore the Faces moniker.

It always saddens me to hear former bandmates carrying on squabbles that have been keeping them apart for 40 years. If you don't want to get back together, fine -- but just say you "don't want to get back together." No need to slag your former bandmembers. That's petty and unattractive.

The Life & Times of Steve Marriott doc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6C97_h2TFg

I can't see the small faces without Lane and Marriot.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I can't see the small faces without Lane and Marriot.
    Agreed. I don't see the point. If they wanna play Small Faces music, then ok, but don't call it "Small Faces". I saw the Faces' 1975 tour with Tetsu on bass and I thought something was missing then.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

You may as well do a Beatles 'reunion' as well.
    To me, not that same thing. John, Paul, George, and Ringo was the only professional recording lineup of The Beatles. They broke up forever in '70 when Paul left. Whereas The Small Faces reformed in '75 after they disbanded in '69. Are you also upset that Humble Pie also reformed without Marriot?