Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Baker Street Muse" underrated epic?

"Baker Street Muse" underrated epic?

Listening to Minstrel in the Gallery again for the umpteenth time since I bought it the first day it was released. I don't really see it listed with the big epics. Why?

One of my favourites, I absolutely love it and must have listened to it hundreds of times!

Minstrel is probably my favorite Tull album ever. For some reason, I think the whole album is underrated. I think it's because it came after the BIG albums that rocketed Tull to prog stardom (Aqualung, TAAB, APP). Then there's the BIG "trilogy" that came a couple years after Minstrel. So, it's like that album is kind of forgotten when you look at Tull's body of work in the 70s (just the 70s alone). Today I'm not sure it's my favorite Tull album but I do like it more than TAAB, APP, and certainly Aqualung.

It is my favorite Tull as well. The lyrics from the song Baker St. Muse have run through my head off and on since the 70's. As i rub my hands with glee.

I generally like this album a lot. The title track, CWtV, and One Whit Duck are probably my favorite tracks. The only track I've never really gotten into here is Black Satin Dancer, which for me is repetitive and drags on a bit too long.

I think parts of Baker St. Muse are excellent, but it doesn't flow as nicely to my ears they way TaaB and APP do. Several of the transitions between sections feel rough to me (most notably the transition back into the final "I'm just a Baker St. Muse" chorus). It makes the whole piece feel a bit forced and "cobbled together." But taken by themselves the individual sections, particularly for me the main Baker St. Muse part at the beginning and Crash-Barrier Waltzer (though all have their moments), are really great.

So while I still like it, this is an epic where the whole is not greater than the sum of its parts to my ears.

Bill

Aside from being very personal in nature, it seems to be really influenced by Roy Harper, who IA was a big fan of. Structurally it harks to some of Harper's long involved things (like "Me & My Woman") and the musical style (sort of folk, but not really) is similar. Also that the lyrics are often sexual in an odd uncomfortable way, Harper did a lot of that. I assume IA was getting divorced at the time, so it makes sense he would go down thios road (and not revisit it since). I think it s a beautioful piece, but parts of it always elude me a bit.

The Harper influence on this piece is a nice observation - never considered that before.

I must admit that while i think it's ok it sounds like a "tired epic" to me. An epic for the sake of being epic.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Yep..it is.

It's okay, but for me it's a bit over-focused on the lyrics, and I don't find the lyrics that brilliant. A bit too self-consciously epic, yes. I agree about the Harper influence.

Generally I regret that Ian as a lyricist never quite has the courage to be thoroughly serious. He always protects his earnestness with flippant whimsy. If challenged, he can say it's just a bit of fun or even a send-up. Anyone who addresses the seeming seriousness in his sentiments can thus be accused of taking Ian too seriously. Yet he evidently is a sensitive, deep and thoughtful man.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    it seems to be really influenced by Roy Harper, who IA was a big fan of.
    Listening to the album again, I'm struck by how VERY Harperesque One White Duck... is. It sounds like an unashamedly deliberate attempt to imitate Roy (not necessarily a bad thing). Has Ian commented on this?

All in all a great album. Perhaps I was too harsh on Baker St.... above; it is a good track.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Homburg View Post
    It's okay, but for me it's a bit over-focused on the lyrics, and I don't find the lyrics that brilliant. A bit too self-consciously epic, yes. I agree about the Harper influence.

Generally I regret that Ian as a lyricist never quite has the courage to be thoroughly serious. He always protects his earnestness with flippant whimsy. If challenged, he can say it's just a bit of fun or even a send-up. Anyone who addresses the seeming seriousness in his sentiments can thus be accused of taking Ian too seriously. Yet he evidently is a sensitive, deep and thoughtful man.
    Very interesting observation. Harper is one of my favorite lyricists. Ian COULD be his equal but never quite managed. But still quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    I must admit that while i think it's ok it sounds like a "tired epic" to me. An epic for the sake of being epic.
    I don't think of it as an epic. I think of it as a mini-suite. It's a few songs strung together about a common theme and it's mostly effective imho.

Yep, completely underrated. Baker Street Muse is some really great songwriting that prevails where some other 'epics' leave me cold. I can't put into words how much I love that song and record.

I think if I had to pick a favorite part of this, it's the section that begins "There was a little boy, stood on a burning log..." You can feel the momentum building up again, which is only doubled when the band kicks in. I always tend to groove a little when that bit comes in.

^ Me too. The whole thing is great, though. I love how perfectionist Ian left in the little screw-up at the beginning, just to give it a 'one-take' feel, while I'm sure it has many overdubs.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I must admit that while i think it's ok it sounds like a "tired epic" to me.
    Well, there's a tired, world-weary quality to it. I'll grant that. Somehow the moody, melancholic ramblings resonate with me.

An epic for the sake of being epic.
    This doesn't follow for me. Of course, you could be right. I think it works on the whole, though.

This album is a consistent competitor for #1 in my list of Tulls.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I can't decide whether Minstrel is a great album or a good album with a great title track.

I can't decide whether Minstrel is a great album or a good album with a great title track.
    That's because it's an ok album with a good title track.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

It's a great album with a great title track.

It's a great album.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Yep, completely underrated. Baker Street Muse is some really great songwriting that prevails where some other 'epics' leave me cold. I can't put into words how much I love that song and record.
    Damn right. Same goes for me.
    "Where the light is brightest, the shadows are deepest"
    Goethe

Crash Barrier Waltzer is sublime.
    I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in the right order. AS THEY SHOULD BE!!!

I have to agree, I think Minstrel in the Gallery is underrated. It is loaded with great material. I also agree with some of the others that "Baker Street Muse" qualifies more as a mini suite rather than an epic. It is an excellent piece. I love it! I fail to understand why this album does not get more praise. It opens really strong. "Minstrel in the Gallery" is a great song. It rawks! Count me in as a believer!

-Turn on, Tune in, and Prog Out!

Quote Originally Posted by Astraldog View Post
    I have to agree, I think Minstrel in the Gallery is underrated. It is loaded with great material. I also agree with some of the others that "Baker Street Muse" qualifies more as a mini suite rather than an epic. It is an excellent piece. I love it! I fail to understand why this album does not get more praise. It opens really strong. "Minstrel in the Gallery" is a great song. It rawks! Count me in as a believer!

-Turn on, Tune in, and Prog Out!
    Totally agree. Minstrel is probably their most underrated album, and BSM is brilliant. Very sharp social commentary here.