Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Peter Gabriel's solo albums

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    III is timeless, as many others for me.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    I used to be a big fan of PGs solo output in the 80s. I dare say they did not age well. I think his Genesis work aged better.
    I agree with this. But I agree that there are some real good ones on the debut, such as 'Humdrum' and 'Down the Dolce Vita'.

Debut album for me, and half of the second album - I like very much 5 songs on it. Mother of Violence, White Shadow, Indigo, Flotsam & Jetsam, Exposure.
    Third album maybe his best, objectively, but I wouldn't vote for this.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    half of the second album - I like very much 5 songs on it. Mother of Violence, White Shadow, Indigo, Flotsam & Jetsam, Exposure.
    Those are the very 5 I like too. I suppose White Shadow and Flotsam & Jetsam are my faves.

I couldn't tell what Flotsam and Jetsam was about... seemed like its about touching someone he shouldn't be touching!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I couldn't tell what Flotsam and Jetsam was about... seemed like its about touching someone he shouldn't be touching!
    Ugh. Hope not, there's too many songs already about that.

I used to be a big fan of PGs solo output in the 80s. I dare say they did not age well. I think his Genesis work aged better.
    I am going to have to go back and listen to his 80s albums. Back at the time, I thought they were brilliant and felt he was at the top of his game. Particularly on Security (IV). That said, I played them so much back in the day that it would be hard to listen with fresh ears. It's been a few years though since I've listened to them. I do like most of his albums though and disappointed with his lack of original output in the last 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    III is timeless, as many others for me.
    I agree. III is the album in which Peter reinvented himself. Even now listening to those first few seconds of 'Intruder' reminds me of how exciting it was to hear this for the first time back in the day. Awesome! 'The Rhythm of the Heat' on IV had a similar effect on me. This was a great creative period for Peter.

"Melt / 3" is my favorite. I also really like "Up" and think it is one of his most underated albums. My least favorite song is the one he choose to release as a single ("Barry Williams Show) which I think was a mistake. The rest of the album is great.

I've seen no mention of his live albums. Personally they are my favorites. "Plays Live" and "Secret World Live" are both outstanding in my opinion.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    I used to be a big fan of PGs solo output in the 80s. I dare say they did not age well. I think his Genesis work aged better
    I am going to have to go back and listen to his 80s albums. Back at the time, I thought they were brilliant and felt he was at the top of his game. Particularly on Security (IV). That said, I played them so much back in the day that it would be hard to listen with fresh ears. It's been a few years though since I've listened to them. I do like most of his albums though and disappointed with his lack of original output in the last 10 years.
    I can see where Firth is coming from... And indeed Security and So are albums that are produce of the 80's, with what that encompasses in terms of sonic production... Hpowever there are manu albums of the 80's of 70's bands which fare worst , including in Genesis: I'm thinkling of Shapes (which I like side A) or Invisible Touch (whivj I loathe)

It took me years to ppreciate Security (and even Melt), while So was an instant hit (so the Sledge/Big Time sonics went down well with me)... I learned to cope with that 80's sound on those, but even nowadays, if I'm not careful or really in the mood, I will cringe At Shock The Monkey or I Have The Touch....Or for that matter, Games Without Frontier or Don't Remember on Melt

For ex: this "new old track" is definitely something I WTFed/cringed at this morning
    Last edited by Trane; 12-21-2013 at 03:36 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Why not more love for Up? Very solid in my opinion.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Plays Live is my favorite even if it isn't totally live. I rather like the renditions of songs from his first four albums (plus non album tracks) that are presented on this collection. The version of "DIY" is far superior to the studio one.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Plays Live is my favorite even if it isn't totally live. I rather like the renditions of songs from his first four albums (plus non album tracks) that are presented on this collection. The version of "DIY" is far superior to the studio one.
    Only place to get I Go Swimming. I saw him do that live for this tour in SF.

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    Totally agree. I have it in 2.0 and SACD 5.1 which is beyond stunning sonically speaking. The Drop always made me think of the 9/11 jumpers trying to die by being splattered on the concrete and glass below instead of being incinerated to death. Then I think it was in here someone explained that I should re-examine the lyrics because the song is not about that at all.

III
    I
    Up
    IV-Security
    II
    Plays Live
    So
    Us
    Passion
    Birdy
    Rabbit Proof Fence

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Exposure and White Shadow save that one from being abysmal IMO

Car is way too overblown but perhaps a touch better than Scratch
    Both Car and Scratch have *way* too much annoying screaming vocal style for me

Melt is indeed his first great album

isn't OVO an album entirely with other vocalists?
    What's with you people saying Scratch has just two good songs? Indigo, Mother of Violence, Perspective, On the Air, Home Sweet Home? I think some of you don't like a subdued Gabriel, but IMO that's when he's best.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    "Melt / 3" is my favorite. I also really like "Up" and think it is one of his most underated albums. My least favorite song is the one he choose to release as a single ("Barry Williams Show) which I think was a mistake. The rest of the album is great.

I've seen no mention of his live albums. Personally they are my favorites. "Plays Live" and "Secret World Live" are both outstanding in my opinion.

Steve Sly
    Barry Williams Show is definitely what I like to call his Space Balls moment (a point or joke made far too late) but I still enjoy the song and I love that it finally allows me to connect Robert Fripp to Florence Henderson.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Barry Williams Show is definitely what I like to call his Space Balls moment (a point or joke made far too late) but I still enjoy the song and I love that it finally allows me to connect Robert Fripp to Florence Henderson.
    I don't necissarliy hate the song, but I think it was a poor choice for the leadoff single.

Steve Sly

What's with you people saying Scratch has just two good songs? Indigo, Mother of Violence, Perspective, On the Air, Home Sweet Home? I think some of you don't like a subdued Gabriel, but IMO that's when he's best.
    I agree about his subdued side being his best. It's the screaming that I don't like. On the air has that cringe inducing screaming. Mother of Violence is ok. Indigo is about giving up and dying! I don't need to subject myself to that kind of lyric thank you. I'll listen again to Perspective and Home Sweet Home to see if I missed something great.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

2 is hugely underrated, 3 is lifeless, sterile, clunky and downright ugly sounding.

My PG playlist--what remains of it

DIY
    Humdrum
    San Jacinto
    The Rhythm of the Heat
    Here Comes the Flood
    On the Air
    A large part of Passion
    mercy Street

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Those are the very 5 I like too. I suppose White Shadow and Flotsam & Jetsam are my faves.
    Mother of Violence is far and beyond my favourite on II.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    3 and Passion are really the only ones I still listen too. Up is a bit of a mixed bag, but when it's good it's excellent. 4 is decent but falls short to my ears. Don't really care for 1, 2, or Us.

I think that's as far as I went with his solo career.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I
    IV
    Us
    III
    Up
    So
    II
    Passion
    the rest

I still have the German LPs of III and IV but I don't have a turntable anymore. I also have a few 12" EPs, and the movie soundtrack with his version of "Strawberry Fields Forever" that I borrowed from the library when I was about twelve years old and never returned. Yep, I'm a serious badass.

Oh, and I love "Barry Williams Show". Sure, it was a few years behind the times but hey, he's not in his twenties. He doesn't have to have his finger on the pulse of what makes America tick at all times. I love him and his band.... seen them three times and they were always 100% amazing. Just fantastic.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    It actually had nothing to do with the guy from the Brady Bunch, but was a take-off on Jerry Springer-type junk TV. Then they put the ex-Brady Bunch guy in a cameo for the video.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 12-21-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    I agree. I thought it was a return to Peter not gunning for the single and being his old out-there self. I know many people bag on The Barry Williams Show, but I think it is a great tune. Sky Blue, I Grieve, Darkness and Signal To Noise are all mindblowing imo. I'd take Up before the second album, So and Us any day.

Quote Originally Posted by jupiter0rjapan View Post
    Sky Blue, I Grieve, Darkness and Signal To Noise are all mindblowing imo.
    I agree, the songs you've chosen are the clear highlights and showed he still had something to offer. Most of the rest, though, I find too 'ploddy'...and 'Barry Williams' may be my least favourite song he's done.

I prefer 'So' because I think 'Sledgehammer' aside, there's nothing overtly 'commercial' about the rest of it IMHO...and it's a much more energetic album.