Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hatfield and the North

I asked Dave Stewart about this clip. This is what he said, "This clip of Hatfield at The Raibow Theatre has been popping up on YouTube for a while, I believe it's the entire sequence which was filmed. Cheers, Dave."

I'm glad I stumbled upon their record in a record store back in the early 70s. I had no idea it was "Canterbury" ... I was just amazed at the level of composition, musicianship and mood all rolled into one and I remember being amazed that in a rock world filled with Bad Companys they had gotten a deal.
    A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission!

saw Hatfield And The North at my first NEARfest not knowing a thing about the band [other than the Canterbury definition, and even then I had no idea what i was getting into]...the band played and played and played and I was awestruck...the musicianship [especially the guitar work] just blew me away..."this band absolutely burned it up!!" I thought....what a great NF intro and a great Hatfield intro as well!!

Got the first one on vinyl shortly after it came out, but I wasn't even aware they had a second album until about ten years ago. Unlike most, I still prefer the first - possibly because it was an important influence on my own musical development. In a sense, that particular music is a part of me, whereas Rotter's Club isn't. At the time, I was a big Zappa fan, but getting tired of FZ's penchant for cheesiness and bad jokes, and this album, like LegEnd, was very much a child of Uncle Meat - but of the good, innovative, musical side of Frank instead of the not-as-good sides of blues-rock, Fifties R&R, and rude, juvenile comedy.

Zappa's humour, as far as I can see, comes from his point about absurdity of being...)

I have a copy of this...

Private Party at Delfina's Farm - Great Bedwyn, Marlborough - 1974

Anyone know who is playing the sax on this? It's a rather interesting thing hearing sax sort of noodling around in the background.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    An entry at the Planet Gong website suggests that it's Elton Dean.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Does anyone else have that little booklet that was published when the Hatwise Choice CD (and those couple of others) came out? I forget the title and can't find my copy right now, but it's a great read and I'd imagine hard to find a copy of. Filled with reminiscences by the band members, and very funny and interesting. Up there with Krautrocksampler as the most re-readable prog book, IMO.

You are thinking of Copious Notes, which came with the Egg archive, not the Hatfield, right ?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    You are thinking of Copious Notes, which came with the Egg archive, not the Hatfield, right ?
    I ordered all those disks together, so I didn't know which it came with! But yes, that's the one. I guess it's mostly about pre-Hatfield stuff, and more Egg-related. Thanks. Here's the info from the Burning Shed page, but it's out of stock:

Specially written to accompany the two Egg Archive CD releases, Copious Notes is a 60-page, 26,000-word companion booklet written by Dave Stewart, Mont Campbell and their close friend Antony Vinall.

The booklet tells the inside story of Uriel, Egg, Arzachel and the Ottawa Company from the formation of Uriel in early 1968 to the making of Egg's final album The Civil Surface in 1974. The text is crammed full of personal memoirs, anecdotes, short stories, random recollections, social observation, period details, musical analysis and song lyrics, as well as a priceless collection of archive photos taken by Terry Yetton and the musicians. An essential read for Canterbury and prog fans, UK music historians and collectors.

Dave Stewart on the companion booklet Copious Notes: "While compiling the sleeve notes for the two Egg archive CDs I asked my colleagues to send me their recollections of the era. Mont Campbell and Antony Vinall (a lifelong friend who was at school with us and wrote some of the Arzachel lyrics) responded so enthusiastically - and in such great detail - that I couldn't bear to hack their contributions down to size to fit the two CD booklets. Instead, I thought it would be nice to create a special booklet to accompany the CDs which would include our unexpurgated memoirs and other related text."

"That gave me the opportunity to write at length about the music and add my own memoirs. It also meant we could include song lyrics and many more photos of Uriel, Egg and the Ottawa Company taken by Terry Yetton between 1968 and 1972. Copious Notes turned into quite a labour of love - reading it is probably the closest you can get to experiencing the sights, sounds, smells and sensations of our corner of the experimental / underground UK music scene of the late '60s."

Dunno if this has been posted before... anyway

A closer look at the first Hatfield and the North album’s cover

https://canterburyscene.wordpress.co...-albums-cover/

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Does anyone else have that little booklet that was published when the Hatwise Choice CD (and those couple of others) came out? I forget the title and can't find my copy right now, but it's a great read and I'd imagine hard to find a copy of. Filled with reminiscences by the band members, and very funny and interesting. Up there with Krautrocksampler as the most re-readable prog book, IMO.
    I do. It was called "Copious Notes," written by Dave Stewart (sorry,missed Aymeric's post--sorry!). That said, it was, indeed, hilarious while, at the same time, filled with great information and, at least speaking for myself, things I did not know. I know it's OOP at Burning Shed, and I can't find it for sale, even at inflated prices, anywhere....

Dave ought to make it available as an ebook...I'm sure it'd sell (I know, even though I've got the hardcopy, that I'd buy it!).
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

My post won't add any interesting general information, but I just need to make a statement.

I've just discovered Hatfield and the North and The Rotters' Club has instantly become one of my all time favorite albums. (I have yet to hear the first one.)
    What a combination of fantasy, simplicity, complexity, ambition, freshness, and, well, talent…
    Thanks to everyone who praised this band on PE, it was useful to me.

Right on man, it is absolutely one of, if not my absolute favorite of all time. An absolute gem.

Twenty years and more have passed and I still haven't exhausted my relationship with this album.

I would put this effortlessly in a Top50 prog list, and most probably in a high place too.

All time fave.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Man, I need to pull this out again haven't listened in a long time. Saw H&N at FMPM in Montreal - they were excellent live.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    My post won't add any interesting general information, but I just need to make a statement.

I've just discovered Hatfield and the North and The Rotters' Club has instantly become one of my all time favorite albums. (I have yet to hear the first one.)
    What a combination of fantasy, simplicity, complexity, ambition, freshness, and, well, talent…
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Right on man, it is absolutely one of, if not my absolute favorite of all time. An absolute gem.
    Absotively one of the bestest albums ever.

The first Hatfield record is quite nearly almost just as great too. They're both indispensable, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Saw H&N at FMPM in Montreal - they were excellent live.
    Lucky bastard!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Dunno if this has been posted before... anyway

A closer look at the first Hatfield and the North album’s cover

https://canterburyscene.wordpress.co...-albums-cover/
    Thank you for posting the link. I never realized there was a gatefold. My US pressing, which I think is an original, is not. My back cover has a collage of band member pix, plus the Northettes and R. Wyatt. But these pictures are not those from the inner gatefold.

EDIT: I never asked my question: was this ever released as a gatefold in the USA?
    Last edited by arturs; 09-09-2018 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post

Glad to hear you've discovered them! For me, I've been a fan since those albums first came out, and all I can say is, and this is no exaggeration, that not a month goes by where I don't (at least) play one of the original albums, along with National Health's first two and Missing Pieces, along with Hatitude and Hatwise Choice. I cannot say that about many albums.
    John Kelman

The two Hatfield albums have been played a million times more in my home than any Genesis album.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Man, I need to pull this out again haven't listened in a long time. Saw H&N at FMPM in Montreal - they were excellent live.
    I was also there, and reviewed the one day I spent there.
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Thank you for posting the link. I never realized there was a gatefold. My US pressing, which I think is an original, is not. My back cover has a collage of band member pix, plus the Northettes and R. Wyatt. But these pictures are not those from the inner gatefold.

EDIT: I never asked my question: was this ever released as a gatefold in the USA?
    Pretty sure it was not. The gatefold artwork was used for the CD which was where I first heard the album (early 90's) so I was surprised when I saw the U.S. cover in a college radio library a few years later.

My Hatfield and the North (same) LP is gatefold artwork.
    Virgin Records.