Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steve Wilson remixing Gentle Giant

Facebook posting from July 20th -

"Gentle Giant thinking about 'Octopus' for next Steven Wilson remix!!
    Thoughts??
    Also a new never heard before double live album before Christmas.."

I have the new SW remix of Power and the Glory. It sounds great. I like the video grahics too.

Yes, the graphics are a nice add on, and this including the lyrics. I've listened to the 5.1 mix (only once so far) but was instantly reminded that this is not one of my favourite GG albums.

Any word on what the live release is all about?

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    The graphics are nice, but I found them to be a distraction when wanting to just listen to the music. So, I turned off my TV.
    Chad

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    SW takes a lot of care and consideration in his remixes, and as a long as you approach these with an open mind you'll enjoy them. Bear in mind that these are remixes, not remasters, so the music will sound slightly different to how you originally remember it.

For my own experience, I've enjoyed each of his remixes, whether it be ELP, Yes, Tull, Hawkwind or King Crimson -it's been like revisiting old friends, with all the familiar melodies and dynamics, and then being gently surprised by hearing new things that were always there in the original tapes but which were buried as a result of the limited technology of the time.

It doesn't take anything away from the original mixes as they're still available, but for me SW's remixes encourage me to revisit old albums long neglected through over familiarity, and now hear them in a way that sounds fresh and vital again.
    I agree very much with this sentiment. My only gripe to date is that "Close to the Edge" does not have the great low-end punch that "The Yes Album" does, especially from Bill Bruford's bass drum.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post

Thoughts??
    I really hoped Octopus would be the first GG album remastered my Steven! IMHO it has much better songs and richer instrumental palette.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    BTW, The Power & The Glory was recorded very good, better than any of their previous albums.
    Afraid that new remaster would sound as dry, as ELP's. Though I never heard Wilson's latest remasters.
    Wilson remixes, he doesn't remaster. Big difference.

I now have three versions of TPATG,the original Capital CD, the 35th Anniversary edition on drt, and this new Steve Wilson package, the blu-ray version. Have not heard the CD yet but the 5.1 DTS mix is just amazing! Only heard it once so far...with the graphics, which are amazing! Next time I'll listen with the TV off. To me, this rates right up there with the 5.1 APP as the best sounding releases of the year so far. I really enjoy his 5.1 revolution! Need to get more, and I will!

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    5.1 DTS mix is just amazing! I really enjoy his 5.1 revolution! Need to get more, and I will!
    Yep!

Steve Wilson's remixes can be a mixed bag for me, some I like, some I don't like. When I compare the sound of this remix next to the original, it sounds like he just took a whole bunch of high end off the mix. The original has more noise, sure, but it also has a lot more high end while this new remix sounds kind of muffled to me.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post

Thoughts??
    What Facebook page?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What Facebook page?
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/GENTL...T/121160188790

Unfortunately it looks like the post has been removed. Someone might have jumped the gun... again. This happened before when TPatG was first announced prematurely and then removed.