Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: YES not in RRHOF but Peter Gabriel made it

YES not in RRHOF but Peter Gabriel made it

From USA Today:

"Calling Dr. Love! Kiss is set to join the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, alongside other new inductees Nirvana, Hall & Oates, Peter Gabriel, Linda Ronstadt and Cat Stevens."

Meh. I know I'm not supposed to care but geez, Peter Gabriel probably won't show up to this one either.

I just hold my hands up and forget about the whole thing. I don't understand it at all.
    Last edited by JJ88; 12-17-2013 at 02:17 PM.

SHOCKER!!! Jann Wenner the owner of it HATES YES.

And whadaya know, Nirvana gets in the first time they're nominated.

And even though I liked Cat Stevens,how can his music be considered Rock 'n Roll? I HATE KISS just saying.

"I wanna rock 'n' roll all night and party every day." What profound and intellectual lyrics they are. Light years ahead of anything Jon Anderson wrote. How silly are those acid-heads in YES to think that what they did actually meant anything. I mean really...what is "The Total Mass Retain" all about anyway? Goofy stuff. REAL smarts from KISS. Pure brilliance! Maybe Peter Gabriel was right after all to boycott his first induction with Genesis? Does this R 'n' R Hall Of Fame really matter? True art wasn't necessarily made for mass consumption now was it?
    Last edited by AncientChord; 12-17-2013 at 02:46 AM.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

PG said he WILL go this time.

^Hmm, the conspiracy theorists will be out in force then!

the big jam at the end is totally going to suck with this lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I HATE KISS
    + 1.

Banned
    I don't mind that Kiss, Hall & Oates, Cat Stevens, Linda, and PG got in. I like Nirvana, but the hall should've let Yes in. Oh well, here's hoping for next year. Maybe if Yes releases a new album next year, it does well, and the box set does well, then maybe(just maybe) the hall will think that they are worth a damn.

N.W.A. didn't make it??? I have no respect for the R&RHOF anymore.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Kiss may be silly, but they're enormously influential.

Not musically, although for Seventies hard rock fans they did hit that sweet spot right in the absolute center of popular taste. But in their total career-minded professionalism, which signaled a permanent abrupt right turn in the rock biz, back from hippie dreaminess to the old pedal-to-the-floor business-oriented approach - with the signal difference that the band themselves ran their own hard sell, not some Brian Epstein or Andrew Loog Oldham or Peter Grant. You can't take the credit for that away from them, and it was a game-changer. Since then, any act with major-label aspirations has been expected to know about the business side of things, and the more they know, the better. Look at it this way: No Kiss, no Madonna who never hid being the brains behind her own rise. No rappers that are "all about the Benjamins".

And, in that Kiss probably got more twelve-year-old boys to pick up a guitar than anybody else short of the Beatles.

All of which counts just as much for the Hall of Fame as any number of five-star Rolling Stone reviews from authenticity-obsessed hipsters.

Oh, and Yes?

Ultimately, they're not influential, and they didn't sell enough records for that to not matter. They're just the biggest frog in a small pond that never contributed much to the mainstream. Peter Gabriel may have come from that same pond, but he moved decisively to the mainstream with So, and he's stayed in it ever since.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 12-17-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Kiss may be silly, but they're enormously influential.

Not musically, although for Seventies hard rock fans they did hit that sweet spot right in the absolute center of popular taste. But in their total career-minded professionalism, which signaled a permanent hard right turn in the rock biz, back from hippie dreaminess to the old hard-charging business-oriented approach - with the signal difference that the band themselves ran their own hard sell, not some Brian Epstein or Andrew Loog Oldham or Peter Grant. You can't take the credit for that away from them, and it was a game-changer. Look at it this way: No Kiss, no Madonna who never hid that she was the brains behind her own rise. No rappers that are "all about the Benjamins".

And, in that they probably got more twelve-year-old boys to pick up a guitar than anybody else short of the Beatles.

All of that is worth an awful lot of five-star reviews from authenticity-obsessed hipsters.
    There is something amiss in your post. While The Beatles and The Stones had their managers guiding them earlier on, Kiss did too. They had Bill Aucoin.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I'm disappointed for Yes, but not surprised. I can't help but wonder if all the nastiness over the years didn't finally come back to bite them in the ass.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I'm disappointed for Yes, but not surprised. I can't help but wonder if all the nastiness over the years didn't finally come back to bite them in the ass.
    Again, don't think the hall gives a crap about that. The fact that the fighting bands I listed are also in the hall is proof of that. CCR is one band that I forgot to mention in my previous post(in another thread). Hell, John was still so mad at Stu and Doug in '93, that took the stage with Bruce Springsteen instead.
    Last edited by JIF; 12-17-2013 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    There is something amiss in your post. While The Beatles and The Stones had their managers guiding them earlier on, Kiss did too. They had Bill Aucoin.
    But was he really the mastermind of their career, or was it Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley? Gene certainly talks as if he and Paul were always in charge. In that scenario, I could see Aucoin as a sort of business version of George Martin - the guy with the experience, the know-how, and the know-who, but not the major force who had the drive and made the decisions.

I don't buy the idea that Kiss are more influential. Kiss' most obvious influence is on the much-maligned hair/glam metal scene...not exactly a critical favourite (I'm not making a value judgment here, an influence is an influence) so the idea that this will guarantee them 5 star reviews from 'hipsters' is strange to me. I certainly don't see why they would have inspired more youngsters to pick up guitars than any other big-selling rock band. And 'authenticity' and Kiss in the same sentence? Really? I don't care about all that stuff, but it seems to me Kiss went more for big image and flash than most.

Now I would say I think Kiss deserve to be in there but ahead of bands like this, who actually recorded their best work *before* Kiss even put out their first album? Never...and the same goes for Nirvana. I believe there is more than music at play here now. The longer they leave bands like Deep Purple and Yes out, the worse it looks IMHO...particularly as this year also includes acts that have a tenuous link to rock.

With Yes, I do believe some of what's happened over the years has not been great for fans to watch, let alone non-fans. But that sort of stuff isn't restricted to Yes.
    Last edited by JJ88; 12-17-2013 at 07:26 AM.

Without KISS Steve Babb would never have picked up a bass and there would be no Glass Hammer. A lot of kids could be heavily into bands like Yes, Rush and even Zeppelin but not actually motivated to pick up an instrument. Sure, a lot of kids did but to many I think bands like that were daunting. You had the sense you would never be able to do that. When KISS came out a generation of kids said, "HELL YES, I can do that!!" and did. Or they just put on the make up and the instrument came later. Like The Beatles before them, KISS motivated kids to want to be rock and rollers.

Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    + 1.
    +2

This whole thing is comical. Anyone who is surprised or even angry hasn't been paying much attention.

People, look at the list of past inductees. It's an effing joke!!! Hell, Blondie have been in the Hall for seven years! Madonna has been there for five!

Even Tom Waits (who is great, but clearly not R&R) has been inducted.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I don't buy the idea that Kiss are more influential. Kiss' most obvious influence is on the much-maligned hair/glam metal scene...not exactly a critical favourite (I'm not making a value judgment here, an influence is an influence) so the idea that this will guarantee them 5 star reviews from 'hipsters' is strange to me. I certainly don't see why they would have inspired more youngsters to pick up guitars than any other big-selling rock band. And 'authenticity' and Kiss in the same sentence? Really? I don't care about all that stuff, but it seems to me Kiss went more for big image and flash than most.
    You're misunderstanding me. My point was that Kiss had a lot of influence on rock history, both as a musical point of entry for young guys and by being sharp businessmen in their own right. Even though the critics always considered them a joke, and there was almost nothing innovative, original, or "authentic" about their music. And that this influence, even from an unabashedly cheesy and flat-out commercial act, was worth as much to the Hall of Fame as the sheaf of five-star reviews that the likes of Van Morrison have earned.

for all these purists in here...please define R&R ...

Hall & Oates and Peter Gabriel made it, so I'm cool with that. The rest? Meh.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    ...please define R&R
    Rock 'n Roll: Whatever music Jann Wenner listens to.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off