Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fish Reissue Plans and some Feast Updates

So how are these in terms of sound quality compared to the originals? Honestly, these aren't albums that I thought needed any remastering treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I forgot to mention Steven Wilson. Was listening to the Sunsets on Empire remaster this morning, and I'm not sure if it's Wesley or Wilson playing the solo on Perceptions of Johnny Punter, but man that's a great solo.
    That's Wilson I believe (maybe Frank Usher? I haven't listened to it in a long time). He played on Sunsets and Raingods with Zippos, along with Usher and Robin Boult.

Wes joined for the Raingods tour, and then stayed on to record Fellini Days.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchgx View Post
    So how are these in terms of sound quality compared to the originals? Honestly, these aren't albums that I thought needed any remastering treatment.
    Can't really say yet, as I was listening in the car. But you're right, there had already been remasters issued of most of his catalog, so I don't think this was a greatly needed remastering. But Fish said he wanted his albums to finally have the deluxe treatment, so I guess a new remastering went hand in hand with that. And they do look and feel very nice. And the bonus disks have some worthwhile stuff (I think - haven't listened yet). Being a completest I already have everything on the Sunsets bonus disk though.

I actually sent Mark Wilkinson a message today asking about when the next remasters would be ready. Figured he had a better handle on it than Fish would at this point, assuming they're underway already.

Don't know if you folks read it, but the scaled one is engaged to be married AGAIN! Jeez, he's a glutton for punishment. At least it might provide fodder for another album...

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    That's Wilson I believe (maybe Frank Usher? I haven't listened to it in a long time). He played on Sunsets and Raingods with Zippos, along with Usher and Robin Boult.

Wes joined for the Raingods tour, and then stayed on to record Fellini Days.
    You're right - not sure why I was thinking Wesley was on Sunsets.

Can't really say yet, as I was listening in the car. But you're right, there had already been remasters issued of most of his catalog, so I don't think this was a greatly needed remastering. But Fish said he wanted his albums to finally have the deluxe treatment, so I guess a new remastering went hand in hand with that. And they do look and feel very nice. And the bonus disks have some worthwhile stuff (I think - haven't listened yet). Being a completest I already have everything on the Sunsets bonus disk though.

I actually sent Mark Wilkinson a message today asking about when the next remasters would be ready. Figured he had a better handle on it than Fish would at this point, assuming they're underway already.

Don't know if you folks read it, but the scaled one is engaged to be married AGAIN! Jeez, he's a glutton for punishment. At least it might provide fodder for another album...
    Correction: Both of the new remasters have material I didn't have before. I was forgetting that both have a whole disk of demo tracks I've never heard.
    But I already have all the live tracks on Sunsets.

These demos (and some of the live stuff on Raingods) made both worth having for me, plus the nice presentation: lengthy notes by Fish, the single artwork, etc.

Agreed, Fish’s best albums tend to be when he is breaking up with someone.

Had a listen to the Sunsets demo disk. There are two demos of Perceptions of Johnny Punter with Steven Wilson, and man, Wilson really tears it up with his guitar solos on those. I have to listen again to decide which is best. One is obviously earlier as the opening words are different.

Had a listen to the Sunsets demo disk. There are two demos of Perceptions of Johnny Punter with Steven Wilson, and man, Wilson really tears it up with his guitar solos on those. I have to listen again to decide which is best. One is obviously earlier as the opening words are different.
    Is one the string of racial epithets and the other " just another wake up, a hostage of a sunrise" and stuff? The tame lyrics are from the American release of the album, altered at, I believe, Roadrunner's request for fear that the unenlightened might not get the satirical intent.

Is one the string of racial epithets and the other " just another wake up, a hostage of a sunrise" and stuff? The tame lyrics are from the American release of the album, altered at, I believe, Roadrunner's request for fear that the unenlightened might not get the satirical intent.
    No, it's not that. It's a totally different first verse instead - can't remember it now. I had heard the same lyrics before, I guess on some live version.

If you read the review of the remaster on Sea of Tranquility they mention it too.

No, it's not that. It's a totally different first verse instead - can't remember it now. I had heard the same lyrics before, I guess on some live version.

If you read the review of the remaster on Sea of Tranquility they mention it too.
    I listened this morning and wrote the words down:

Just another wakeup
    A hostage of a sunrise
    Just another petrified, ashen faced motherfucker living on the planet

So not the tame version!

But I just noticed you referred to the above words in your post - where have you heard these words before, in a live version? I know I've heard them but as I have all of Fish's live releases, can't remember where.
    And no, the other demo version of the song doesn't have the tame words, they're the same as on the UK release, but it's a demo.

I listened this morning and wrote the words down:

Just another wakeup
    A hostage of a sunrise
    Just another petrified, ashen faced motherfucker living on the planet

So not the tame version!

But I just noticed you referred to the above words in your post - where have you heard these words before, in a live version? I know I've heard them but as I have all of Fish's live releases, can't remember where.
    And no, the other demo version of the song doesn't have the tame words, they're the same as on the UK release, but it's a demo.
    Those are the lyrics on the american release of the album, as I mentioned above. I believe it was Roadrunner, tho I could be wrong, it's been ages. But the lyrics were altered as it was felt that an audience unfamiliar with Fish might not get the satirical intent of lyrics and assume he was a white supremacist or something...

It's otherwise the same as the version on the original release.

Listening to the solo now critically now for the first time in ages, after seeing that Wilson and Usher are both credited with lead guitar:

The solo starts with Frank - there's a vibrato trill at 3:40 that's a dead giveaway. Wilson comes in a 3:55, it's pure 90's Wilson soloing. I think Wilson continues thru the change at 4:18, and then Frank comes back in for the unison bit at the end.

(edited to add, I could be completely wrong. But these are two of my favorites guitarists to listen to soloing, and that's what my ears are getting)

Frank.

Not his most expressive stab at Cliche - a little more shreddy than his approach to it in the 90's, but still a pleasure to watch.

https://youtu.be/uFF9KoE8U78?t=4m58s

Those are the lyrics on the american release of the album, as I mentioned above. I believe it was Roadrunner, tho I could be wrong, it's been ages. But the lyrics were altered as it was felt that an audience unfamiliar with Fish might not get the satirical intent of lyrics and assume he was a white supremacist or something...

It's otherwise the same as the version on the original release.

Whoops! Sorry, I guess I haven't listened to the American version in a LONG times. The way I misremembered it was just that he took out most of those expletives, not a totally different verse.

Fellini Days is now available! I think it was me asking Fish on Facebook when the next ones would be out that reminded him to mention this!

And Field of Crows is due in March.

http://shop.fishheads.club/product/f...tered-box-set/

Fellini Days FHC008CD
    CD1
    9.11 3D
    4.06 So Fellini
    7.32 Tiki 4
    5.25 Our Smile
    5.33 Long Cold Day
    5.30 Dancing in Fog
    5.15 Obligatory Ballad
    7.18 The Pilgrim’s Address
    7.17 Clock Moves Sideways Total: 57.07

CD 2 Demos
    9.36 3D (instrumental, 2 versions edited together)
    2.56 So Fellini ( instrumental)
    4.38 So Fellini (instrumental)
    4.34 Aggro (instrumental, track written by John Wesley ,never used and lyric idea became “Square Go” on 13th Star)
    5.00 Clock Moves Sideways (instrumental)
    2.14 Tiki 4 (acoustic instrumental)
    4.52 Tiki 4
    5.00 Long Cold day (instrumental)
    3.14 End of the Line (instrumental, track written by John Wesley ,never used)
    4.00 Federico – (full band instrumental jam, track never used)
    3.38 Pilgrims Address
    5.28 Our Smile (Piano /vox)
    6.17 Dancing in Fog ( remix) Total 61.27

CD 3
    Fellini Days Radio Editslive versions
    8.55 3D (Rotterdam 2001)
    4.25 So Fellini (from Nearfest DVD 2008)
    6.26 Long Cold Day ( Return to Childhood 2005)
    8.40 Pilgrims Address (Oslo 2001)
    7.27 Clock Moves Sideways (Fellini Nights 2001)
    7.19 Our Smile ( acoustic Leamington fan club convention 2012)
    7.51 Tiki 4 (Oslo 2001)
    7.32 Clock Moves Sideways (Oslo 2001)
    3,59 So Fellini (Poznan 2001)
    9.40 Pilgrims Address ( acoustic version, St Mary’s Haddington 2006) Total 72. 24

Still need to get on these. I thought I had them ordered, but I didn't.

I was a bit surprised to find out about his engagement too. Reminds me of his relationships with record labels.....

These look pretty cool, but 'Fellini Days' didn't do much for me. It was the most disappointed I have been with a Fish release. Perhaps, I will revisit it as it has been a while since I have heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    These look pretty cool, but 'Fellini Days' didn't do much for me. It was the most disappointed I have been with a Fish release. Perhaps, I will revisit it as it has been a while since I have heard it.
    Field Of Crows and Suits are far and away my least favorites although I love the art.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Field Of Crows and Suits are far and away my least favorites although I love the art.
    None of these three (Fellini Days, Field of Crows, or Suits) would be my favorite, but:

I do love Suits, and played it a lot back in the day and still love it. MR 1470 is one of my favorite songs of his. His voice sounds so cool on this, and the idea of the song is very cool (MR 1470 was the tag on an ancient skull he saw in a museum). Some other great songs like Lady let it Lie (his best ballad), Raw Meat, Somebody Special (one of my favorite Fish vocal moments is when he sings "She likes Japanese movies, She likes Chinese food" then gives a sort of karate yell. Great!), even the songs that aren't favorites are pretty strong and easy to listen to IMO. Also, Black Canal is a great b-side, and well worth getting for those who don't know it.

None of these three (Fellini Days, Field of Crows, or Suits) would be my favorite, but:

I do love Suits, and played it a lot back in the day and still love it. MR 1470 is one of my favorite songs of his. His voice sounds so cool on this, and the idea of the song is very cool (MR 1470 was the tag on an ancient skull he saw in a museum). Some other great songs like Lady let it Lie (his best ballad), Raw Meat, Somebody Special (one of my favorite Fish vocal moments is when he sings "She likes Japanese movies, She likes Chinese food" then gives a sort of karate yell. Great!), even the songs that aren't favorites are pretty strong and easy to listen to IMO. Also, Black Canal is a great b-side, and well worth getting for those who don't know it.
    I agree that 'Suits' is much stronger than 'Fellini Days'. At the point of 'Suits', Fish's voice was still in top notch form and due to his recent record company issues, he was out to prove something with his own label. The album definitely has some really good stuff on it. My favorite Fish albums are 'Vigil', 'Sunsets' and perhaps 'Rainclouds', but 'Suits' is on the upper half of the list as well.

I love Suits myself, up there with Vigil and Sunsets as a personal favorite. I always have this mini movie playing in my head when "No Dummy" comes on, I picture a clumsy wanna-be criminal trying to hang with the big boys. "Mr 1470" is a killer opening track, one of my favorites. "Raw Meat" is one of those songs that always sticks in my head. "I'll always have the strength to carry on..." Great stuff !!

I have the pic disc vinyl and can't wait to get the newest CD reissue once it's available.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    I "Raw Meat" is one of those songs that always sticks in my head. "I'll always have the strength to carry on..." Great stuff !!

I have the pic disc vinyl and can't wait to get the newest CD reissue once it's available.
    I also love the part of Raw Meat that goes "when the Suits who buy the wine don't like my songs..."

I have the double LP of Suits - I won it on some contest. Can't use it, so I need to sell it.

Maybe if I experienced the Suits material live I might feel differently, but it just never did anything for me.

I exchanged messages with Mark Wilkinson, and it turns out he was ill for a few months but is now better, and awaiting Fish's readiness to continue work on the reissues.

A Field of Crows was to be next, then another four which I assume would be the first four albums.

I'm hoping the first three are selling well, and that the financial incentive will keep Fish motivated and we won't have to wait too long.

I exchanged messages with Mark Wilkinson, and it turns out he was ill for a few months but is now better, and awaiting Fish's readiness to continue work on the reissues.

A Field of Crows was to be next, then another four which I assume would be the first four albums.

I'm hoping the first three are selling well, and that the financial incentive will keep Fish motivated and we won't have to wait too long.
    I can't imagine any of these selling well enough as a financial incentive. I'm guessing these are legacy releases and won't be reissued again. This is probably it.

Is 13th Star a part of this or is that the cutoff point?