Thread: Rest In Peace, Jim Hall

Rest In Peace, Jim Hall

Just heard the news that he passed in his sleep.

One of the most important guitarists, and Jazz Musicians, of our age.

NO!!!

Shit, that bums me out!

Jim was one of the very best jazz guitar players and very influential. I feel fortunate that I got to see him live twice, once in a duo with (upright bassist) Red Mitchell and once with a quartet. His albums with Sonny Rollins and Bill Evans are classics.

R.I.P. Jim. Your legacy will live on.

I just read this on Facebook. In my book Jim Hall is the consummate jazz guitarist. This sucks and I'm currently spinning some classic Jim Hall albums. R.I.P.

RIP Jim Hall.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I'm looking at the album cover to Concierto as I write this. It has been sitting out by my turntable along with Miles' Sketches of Spain to play for months now.

It's interesting how Hall's tone is as influential as his playing. Many contemporary guitarists have adopted it.

I guess I am at an age where many of my favorite musicians are in their 70's and beyond. I'll just have to accept it.

The duets between Hall and Paul Desmond are some of the most sublime jazz ever recorded. I have something like 40 albums under Hall's name, and at least that many more in which he was a sideman.

Listening to "It's Nice to be With You: Jim Hall in Berlin" right now.

I read somewhere that he kept a sign in his guitar case that read, "MAKE MUSICAL SENSE!" It seems to me that he always heeded that; his solos were always tasteful and melodic and had a nice flow to them. And although he came from the more traditional school of jazz guitar, he could take it "out" too. He plays some pretty wild and adventurous stuff on "Jim Hall Live!" one of my personal favorites.

I am lucky enough to have seen him with his current trio about 3 years ago. He played so quietly, but SO great.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    He played so quietly, but SO great.
    When I heard him and Red Mitchell playing duo, they were so quiet that people had to whisper their drink orders to the waitress for fear of disrupting the music. You could hear Jim's guitar acoustically at least as much as you could hear his amplifier. And they swung their asses off!

An amusing little anecdote: Apparently Jim had a semi regular duo gig in NYC with (saxophonist) Dick Oatts for a while. Legend has it that when Dick said "hey, we should call our band Hall and Oates," he got a blank stare from Jim. I guess he didn't pay much attention to pop music.
    Last edited by No Pride; 12-10-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Bwahahaha! good story, Ernie.

Listening to his album Dialogues now.....

Fantastic player.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

One of the greats for sure. RIP Jim

Sorry to say i never saw Jim Hall live, and i did have numerous opportunities to do so in NYC over the years.

I muchly dig Jim Hall's playing with Jimmy Giuffre's drummerless trios in the late 50's,especially 'The Easy Way'cd, with Giuffre,Jim Hall and Ray Brown on bass.

WKCR-FM,89.9 on the dial in NYC and streamed at the link provided below, is playing the music of Jim Hall starting tonight(Tuesday 12/10 at 6PM est) and continuing to 1AM Dec.12.WKCR is also available on iTunes radio/college radio.

http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.e...rial-broadcast
    Last edited by walt; 12-12-2013 at 08:46 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Oh, no! Not Jim! More sad news in the music world. Love his guitar playing. Rest in peace, Jim.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Caught him a number of times and met him at a birthday party for Lee Konitz years ago. Nice guy, great player. RIP.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Not another one . . . . . . . . I'll have to pull out Intermodulation later tonight.

RIP
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

RIP Jim

Big fan here also.

I've been digging his stuff with Chico Hamilton lately.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

RIP to an extremely influential musician!

Some have written that Earl Klugh has a career based on Jim Hall's existence.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Last edited by Reid; 12-11-2013 at 12:13 AM.

So Sad...Jim's music was much studied by me during my stint at GIT (Guitar Institute of Technology). I never did get to see him LIVE.

RIP Jim.
    Last edited by Supersonic Scientist; 12-11-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Oh, wow. One of the greats, obviously, and hugely influential as well.

A real giant of the guitar - not so well - known outside the jazz world - but what a tone, what control - a REAL guitarist's guitarist. He was just so f*ing great - such a sad loss.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    RIP to an extremely influential musician!

Some have written that Earl Klugh has a career based on Jim Hall's existence.
    And Steve Howe to some extent.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Jim Hall interview on NPR today, it was recorded back in the 80's but interesting if you want to check it out:
    http://www.npr.org/2013/12/13/250736...arist-jim-hall

Rest in Peace, Jim