Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Why all The Eagles hate??

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    You are correct, of course, not to place Steely Dan -- the almighty Gods of Pop Awesomeness -- in the same category of suckitude as the Eagles.

But you know, I did think about Fleetwood Mac and wondered why I don't hold them in the same disdain. To some extent I do when it comes to bloated productions like Tusk, for which there is no excuse. But if you start with the '72 music, when the Eagles started, those pre-Buckingham/Nicks albums have less suck because the songwriting was on the whole more honest and earthy. IMO, of course. I'm sure FM would have loved those big hits, but I just couldn't imagine them pandering to the folk-rock crowd like that.

Plus, I freely admit I'm an Anglophile in my tastes in popular music and the Brits (sure, Welch was an American but they plucked out of Paris fer gawdsakes) just have a more compelling take on pop music to my ear. And Christine MacVie... *grrrowwwlll*.

As for the post-Welch era, as I said they went off the rails with Tusk (though I think they righted themselves on Mirage.) But on those other albums there was a really interesting tug of war going on in the songwriting with all of the love/hate crap so boldly on display like an open cut. The Eagles just never had that kind of edge IMO. Or the balls to air their dirty laundry (no pun intended).

Plus I hate Don Henley's voice. Did I mention that already?
    For my money, I'll take The Eagles any minute of any day over Steely Dan(Always hated them, so very boring IMO) and Fleetwood Mac(is that a goat singing for FM?). I don't own any Eagles, never will as the radio plays them all the time and I was bored with them years ago but the other two bands are completely unlistenable to me.

Speaking of Fleetwood Mac, was the Saturday Night Live skit The Stevie Nicks Taco Shop a real sketch, or is that urban myth? I've heard about it over the years but never found it online to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Watanabe View Post
    It's weird the amount of Americans i've seen online that seem to develop great hate for various bands through them "being on rock radio CONSTANTLY" etc etc

I don't think i've ever actually come across anyone in real life that was driven to hatred by exposing themselves continually to something that plays music they dislike or are indifferent to.Or that would have been put continually in situations where such a level of oversaturation could take place.

A bizarre phenomenon.
    Familiarity breeds contempt. Otherwise, monogamy wold be a far more popular concept...

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    It's weird the amount of Americans i've seen online that seem to develop great hate for various bands through them "being on rock radio CONSTANTLY" etc etc

I don't think i've ever actually come across anyone in real life that was driven to hatred by exposing themselves continually to something that plays music they dislike or are indifferent to.Or that would have been put continually in situations where such a level of oversaturation could take place.

A bizarre phenomenon.
    As I said, I have other issues with "Hotel California", but most "hatred" from overplay is more of just "had enough". Especially when dealing with a band as prolific as The Eagles, Rush or ABBA. They have hits galore, but the radio plays the same 1-3 songs all the time.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

A bizarre phenomenon.
    Very much so. When I was listening to terrestrial radio, if there was a group I enjoyed that got overplayed, I simply bought their disc and shelved it. Years later, I have returned to many discs in my collection that I hadn't listened to because of media over saturation. I quite enjoy the music and was not going to let their radio dominance impact me to the point of disgust. U2's Achtung Baby is an example for me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    As I said, I have other issues with "Hotel California", but most "hatred" from overplay is more of just "had enough".
    So, turn off the radio. Love to know what those "other issues" are, tho.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    So, turn off the radio. Love to know what those "other issues" are, tho.
    I do and rarely listened to it until recently when the cassette deck broke and I could not play the iPod through the adapter (those radio transmitted ones blow).
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"