Thread: Ian Anderson(!) performing "The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles"

Ian Anderson(!) performing "The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles"

This is allegedly from 2010. I certainly never heard it/of it, and if I did I've somehow forgotten. I don't recall ever seeing this mentioned/posted here, so my apologies to the "Yeah, we know" crew.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Hilarious!

It's from A Passion Play. It was performed on that tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    It's from A Passion Play. It was performed on that tour.
    I think that OP knew that. Their point seemed to be that Ian was reading this in 2010, which would be the first time it's been done in almost 40 years.

Actually, these 2010 versions would have been the first time "The Hare" was ever performed live, since it was presented on video on the Passion Play tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I think that OP knew that. Their point seemed to be that Ian was reading this in 2010, which would be the first time it's been done in almost 40 years.
    Thank you. It's one of my favourite albums of all time, so yes I am aware of where it comes from! :P
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Depite the bad sound, I thought that was better than the stupid Monty-Python-like sketch of yesteryear
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Somebody get me when he decides to perform A Passion Play in its entirety....

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Somebody get me when he decides to perform A Passion Play in its entirety....
    The already did. It was not well received.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    This is allegedly from 2010. I certainly never heard it/of it, and if I did I've somehow forgotten. I don't recall ever seeing this mentioned/posted here, so my apologies to the "Yeah, we know" crew.

That's Ian Anderson, from the band Jethro Tull.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeswave View Post
    I would have loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That's Ian Anderson, from the band Jethro Tull.
    The "Bunghole In The Jungle" band?

40 years ago. He'd be playing to a very different audience now.

I really wouldn't want him to attempt it, to be honest. He won't anyway, since he doesn't view A Passion Play as highly as the surrounding albums. But if he did do it, how could his frail voice ever do justice to something like "Critique Oblique" or "Magus Perde", which require the powerful vocals of his youth? I've imagined what it would sound like nowadays and I honestly think it would not work.

But the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition that is slated to come out next year? I'm all over that.

I really wouldn't want him to attempt it, to be honest. He won't anyway, since he doesn't view A Passion Play as highly as the surrounding albums. But if he did do it, how could his frail voice ever do justice to something like "Critique Oblique" or "Magus Perde"...
    Never mind Ian, do you think his band would be up to it (minus Martin Barre remember).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I really wouldn't want him to attempt it, to be honest. He won't anyway, since he doesn't view A Passion Play as highly as the surrounding albums. But if he did do it, how could his frail voice ever do justice to something like "Critique Oblique" or "Magus Perde", which require the powerful vocals of his youth? I've imagined what it would sound like nowadays and I honestly think it would not work.

But the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition that is slated to come out next year? I'm all over that.
    Do we know yet what's going to be on that? Is there anything from the era that hasn't been released?

Never mind Ian, do you think his band would be up to it (minus Martin Barre remember).
    Well, they did just do Thick As A Brick, which must have been a challenge as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Do we know yet what's going to be on that? Is there anything from the era that hasn't been released?
    Haven't heard any updates recently - I'm not even sure why it hasn't come out yet, since this year was the 40th anniversary, nor am I sure if the Chateau Tapes will be a part of that set or a separate release. I assume the former. As for unreleased material, there is said to be more to the Chateau tapes than we got on Nightcap, in particular the song "Sailor". I'd be interested in hearing live stuff from the period as well, including some of that Chateau stuff since it was played live for a time in '73.

LOL. Thank you for providing me with my new sig. :-)
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Banned
    Well, they did just do Thick As A Brick, which must have been a challenge as well.

Haven't heard any updates recently - I'm not even sure why it hasn't come out yet, since this year was the 40th anniversary, nor am I sure if the Chateau Tapes will be a part of that set or a separate release. I assume the former. As for unreleased material, there is said to be more to the Chateau tapes than we got on Nightcap, in particular the song "Sailor". I'd be interested in hearing live stuff from the period as well, including some of that Chateau stuff since it was played live for a time in '73.
    There is a thread around here about an Ian Anderson news update that states that the Wilson remixes of APP and the Chateau tapes will be release after the record company issues get sorted out. Those aforementioned reissues are scheduled to be released on Warner/Rhino.