Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Swan Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Pink Floyd - High Hopes
    I was thinking "Two Suns In The Sunset" from the final Waters Floyd, The Final Cut. Love that tune. So pre DSOTM 70-71 era Pink Floyd.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Let it go, JKL. Release the bee from your bonnet.
    Letitgo, Ronnie boy.
    Don't read too much into things.
    Relax, Joe.
    I think someone else needs to follow their own advice.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The Doors - Riders on the Storm. the last song on their last album with JM. for me, it's a musical synopsis of their career.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    The Doors - Riders on the Storm. the last song on their last album with JM. for me, it's a musical synopsis of their career.
    I think that it's appropriate that this was the last song recorded with Jim, as it reminds me of funeral music.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I was referring to JKL arguing with people on what is considered the swan songs of Pink Floyd, The Band, and The Beatles. However, from that last response, I would say that someone pissed in your Corn Flakes. Jeez, try to help some people. Letitgo, Ronnie boy.
    The Band?

The Wall could be a swan song, as it is the last Floyd album with Rick Wright until MLOR (sic).
    Actually, Rick is only just barely on The Wall. From what I gather, most of the keyboards on that album were played by Ezrin and a couple session players. If I remember correctly the one really big thing that Rick did play was the synth solo on Run Like Hell.

Tony LaRussa

The fucker won arguably the greatest World Series of all time before riding off into the setting sun

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What about "Free as a Bird" though?
    That would have to be REAL LOVE which was finished about a year later.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    That would have to be REAL LOVE which was finished about a year later.
    Ok, that was The Beatles' swan song.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Ok, that was The Beatles' swan song.
    Nope. Same argument. I'm inclined to think that Kim would agree.

Once again, a swan song is a final gesture. Just because the Threetles added overdubs to a solo John Lennon demo doesn't change its meaning.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Jericho, High on the Hog, Jubilation
    But not the full original lineup. Great records, but I still prefer with Robbie Robertson.

I was referring to JKL arguing with people on what is considered the swan songs of Pink Floyd, The Band, and The Beatles. However, from that last response, I would say that someone pissed in your Corn Flakes. Jeez, try to help some people. Letitgo, Ronnie boy.
    As mentioned already, JIF seems to be the one who is uptight. Say something opposing and he tells that person to relax.

A-ha made a fantastic swan song album in 2009. They released it and did their farewell tour. They will record/tour separately. This was the final song on their album:

Start The Simulator

Start the simulator
    Controllers, listen up
    What's your status, Guidance?
    Let's take it from the top
    Coming up on docking
    The beginnings of a tear
    Clearing the tower
    We take the air

Start the simulator
    Give your tanks a stir
    The bright ejecta blanket
    All is still a blur
    Switch to Omni Bravo
    B bus under volt
    Roll right to zero
    Steady as she goes

We're going to fly so high
    Into the rendered sky
    We're going to be all right
    Inside the endless night

Start the simulator
    I.S.O. valves are gray
    EDS to manual
    Translation looks okay
    Save it for the splash-down
    Things you want undone
    You're in command now
    Your home away from home

You're in control now
    Now you're on your own

The Wind at My Back - The last Spock's song with Neal Morse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    A-ha made a fantastic swan song album in 2009.
    A-Ha just made some fantastic music - period. Its too bad that 90s Grunge and 00s Power Pop/Punk couldnt keep them afloat in the US markets because the albums they put out in those decades were phenomenal

Best Swans song in my opinion:

How about It's All Over Now by Nektar as Roye Albrighton's final gesture to fans and band mates? Did he know he was leaving when this song was written or was it a coincidence? It was the last song on the last album with the classic lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by markowitz View Post
    How about It's All Over Now by Nektar as Roye Albrighton's final gesture to fans and band mates? Did he know he was leaving when this song was written or was it a coincidence? It was the last song on the last album with the classic lineup.
    Very good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Well, I think you're splitting hairs. And, I suspect you do, as well.

The song was written as a John Lennon song seven years after they broke up. The overdubs were 15 years after his death. He had no involvement as a Beatle. So it wasn't a Beatles song to him, if you really want to split the hair even further.

And "swan song" doesn't mean the last song, anyway. It's about the gesture of a final statement.
    Well the album says it's a Beatles song. They are all 4 on it. To me that counts as a beatle track. A very late (and pretty good) swan song.

I understand the sentiment that a swan song CAN BE a deliberate statement, but Ringo has always said that there was nothing deliberate over Abbey Road as a swan song. In his words "we didn't sit down and say ok, last take, last song". And there was extensive work going into the Let It Be album afterwards. I Me Mine was recorded afresh by the threetles. And John offered Cold Turkey to the Beatles as a potential single, which means, if i'm not messing up the chronology, that John still had hope for the Beatles after Abbey Road was finished.
    Last edited by Kim Olesen; 12-07-2013 at 08:48 PM.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim35 View Post
    My first thought was that I have never listened to a swan sing. They are probably pretty good!
    http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/t...er_swan/sounds

I'd have to say XTC: The Wheel and the Maypole. While I think they are technically on hiatus, Wasp Star is the last XTC album, and this closing track is quite possibly their best song (in a LONG line of incredible songs). It's just amazing.
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post
    I'd have to say XTC: The Wheel and the Maypole. While I think they are technically on hiatus, Wasp Star is the last XTC album, and this closing track is quite possibly their best song (in a LONG line of incredible songs). It's just amazing.
    They might be technically "on hiatus", but I remember reading an article on Andy Partridge a few years ago, I believe he had a solo album out at the time. Anyway, when asked about the future of XTC, he said that Colin Moulding "isn't even interested in listening to music, never mind playing it", which I guess was his way of saying that there was no XTC for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post
    I know Kerry Kompost loves that tune too, but I don't. I consider it to be two tunes plastered together. I love the first one, but the second one, not so much. I guess part of the reason is that every time Andy sings "Maypole," it sounds like a jingle for this oatmeal cereal called "Maypo" that was popular when I was a kid. (shrug)

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    They might be technically "on hiatus", but I remember reading an article on Andy Partridge a few years ago, I believe he had a solo album out at the time. Anyway, when asked about the future of XTC, he said that Colin Moulding "isn't even interested in listening to music, never mind playing it", which I guess was his way of saying that there was no XTC for the foreseeable future.
    Yeah, they're done, sadly. I suppose it's possible Andy and Collin (and Dave, if we're really lucky) will want to reunite someday, but right now, Andy doesn't even have Collin's phone number or street address.