Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R.I.P. Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    Nelson Mandela was the head of UmKhonto we Sizwe, (MK), the terrorist wing of the ANC and South African Communist Party. At his trial, he had pleaded guilty to 156 acts of public violence including mobilising terrorist bombing campaigns, which planted bombs in public places, including the Johannesburg railway station. Many innocent people, including women and children, were killed by Nelson Mandela’s MK terrorists.

However the time spent in prison does seem to have caused him to distance himself from the radical element of the movement.

A man's life needs to be seen in totality not just the good he did.

That said.

RIP Nelson Mandela.

DtB
    Has anyone bothered to count the acts of violence against non-White, non-Afrikaaners?
    Not to excuse violence or Mandela's personal involvement--for which he honestly pleaded his guilt--but let's put things in perspective here. In my view, the number of innocents killed or injured by the Apartheid Gov't. must dwarf the number of casualties and injuries caused by ANC actions.

The beauty of Mandela's story is that he rose above, and that indeed, his country rose above, their collective and invididual history. This is why he deserves the honors and accolades bestowed. This is why he is a role model, and can and should be role model for us all. Take responsibility for your actions, but do not let your past and your habits rule you, and aspire toward peace and positive social change.

Rest In Peace, Madiba.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Has anyone bothered to count the acts of violence against non-White, non-Afrikaaners?
    Not to excuse violence or Mandela's personal involvement--for which he honestly pleaded his guilt--but let's put things in perspective here.
    Two wrongs do not make a right.

DtB

Theoretically, I am in agreement.
    In reality, sometimes one must choose to fight. I am a Buddhist, and a Pacifist....and I cannot condone the death of innocents--I abhor the drone situation, for example. But it seems the days of armies lined up on the battlefield are over, and I'm not sure I can clearly outline appropriate perameters of battle for civilian resistence to an oppressive regime. Thankfully, I am not being asked to......and hopefull none of us have to.