Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Sabbath

Black Sabbath

A new Black Sabbath live DVD recording was released today. I will let others do the talking about it. However, I just wanted everyone to know that there is Best Buy exclusive version of this new DVD that comes with a audio CD. This is only available at Best Buy. I bought a copy today, but did not listen or watch it yet.

Library Jon

Is this from the recent tour? After seeing some of the videos posted of how bad it sounded I would be extremely hesitant on buying it. Actually I have several live Sabbath with Ozzy and never thought they were all that great live. Maybe because of the mess Ozzy has always been in. I';ll stick with the new studio CD in which Ozzy actually sounds pretty good on and the music isn't bad either. I'll be interested to hear what people think of this release though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Is this from the recent tour? After seeing some of the videos posted of how bad it sounded I would be extremely hesitant on buying it.
    Don't worry, they'll fix it up in the studio.

Tony and Geezer are still on top of their game, but it's extremely painful to watch and listen to Ozzy in concert these days.

With very few exceptions, I'm not a music DVD person. I love Sabbath, but how many times am I going to sit down and watch a DVD from the reunion tour? A CD however, will or can be listened to hundreds of times. I wonder if the CD will ever be released separately...

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is all you'll ever need.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Just when you think I was out....they pull me back in...

Think I'll get this one just to see the tour drummer, who I like much better then the dude on "13".
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Tony and Geezer are still on top of their game, but it's extremely painful to watch and listen to Ozzy in concert these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Don't worry, they'll fix it up in the studio.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Ozzy's voice to me is the defining Metal voice. I wish he could be healthy and sing until he's 90, but he looks like he's 90 now. He really hasn't taken care of himself at all.

At first I thought "no way in hell" but Ozzy sounded better in that trailer than I had hoped. I don't care whether they had to fix it in post-production. Tony, Geez, and the drummer are delivering. As long as the vocals are somewhat in tune I can ignore the fact that Ozzy's shuffle dance across the stage bears a striking resemblence Tim Conway's "old man" character on the Carol Burnett Show.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Just bought it and watched the first half. Do not worry about Ozzy. He is what he is, of course. Don't expect Pavarotti. But he's in tune and on the beat and what more do you really need? There may have been some post-production but watching some youtubes from the European leg of the tour show Ozzy in similar form to the DVD. So it may just be that he has found his groove and overcome the equipment difficulties he had on some of the USA dates.

The lethal Iommi/Butler combination is at its best and Clofetus actually does a great job channeling his inner Bill Ward.

Surprisingly good!

Ozzy in tune means intensive Auto-tuning. Not that that would spoils anything for me though. I couldn't listen to it if they had left it as it was.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Can you do auto-tune in real time during a live performance? Watching and listening to some of the recent live shows on youtube I wondered if that might be what is going on. In any case, Ozzy sounds ok or better most of the time!

I'd prefer the Reunion(Last Supper) DVD, mastered without interviews. Or the interviews can be issued on another disk.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    I'd prefer the Reunion(Last Supper) DVD, mastered without interviews. Or the interviews can be issued on another disk.
    That would be nice.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

When I saw them this past summer, Ozzy sounded quite good. I couldn't believe how much he had improved from those first few shows on the US tour. Some have said they had monitor issues on those first couple of Texas shows but whatever happened he had it sorted out. He was also singing far better than the two Melbourne shows, but since those were filmed I guess it was felt that they were reasonable enough to release.

It's probably a tough situation. I've heard some people say on recent solo tours Ozzy has started out very strong and went downhill as the tours went on. Whereas the opposite happened with the Sabbath tour. Maybe they filmed the first shows to capture the "best Ozzy" and it didn't quite work out that way ...

The DVD is very good, but I found Osbourne to be a bit rough around the edges. Way too much monitor reading during the new tunes and the voice sounds multitracked and echoed and whatever else. But to me he is the greatest rock frontman to ever walk the earth, so I still enjoy watching him even as his "grandpa" self and a shadow of what he was in his prime.

Ozzy's "act" is tired, but I don't care. I pay my respects to the guy and if I go see Sabbath I will "shout" when he asks even if he has beaten that into the ground. The guy invented a style of not only singing but fronting a band without pretension. An extraordinary accomplishment. Every time I watch vintage Sabbath clips I am astonished that with all of the bum wiggling, chest hair posing that was going on all around him, he went a totally different direction. It's astonishing that he had that figured out so long ago and how well it has aged. By the 80s he was a joke but so was most everybody. He has "redeemed" himself as well as anybody that was successful in the 80s and at least tried to come full circle with his career.

The band is on fire on the DVD but nowhere near as good as they have been playing more recently. Clufetos is too stiff. He just can't swing. It's not in him. He does seem to understand the "attack" involved in playing a bit in Bill's style, but it's a crazy combination to have that and swing. Bill was just one a million. He's missed on the new DVD.

To me this was a no-brainer but I did pass on the "Deluxe" set with the three additional songs. Because the "standard" Blu-ray is also incomplete, I just grabbed the DVD for now and I'm glad I did.

I far prefer The Last Supper, however. And yes, I even like the decision to splice that film with the interviews. It was more like a movie. The perfect film to introduce someone to the band, btw. Because it tells a story and is more than a concert film.

As much as I've enjoyed 13 since it was released, and as much as I need a Black Sabbath DVD, I'm taking a pass on this. I'm really only interested in vintage concert footage. I know there's a concert film from 1970 in France or something. If there are any 70s concerts available on DVD I'd get them. I'd even love a Dio era DVD if one exists.

I just watched the 1970 show on Youtube. Killer.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'd even love a Dio era DVD if one exists.
    You're in luck.

http://www.amazon.com/Heaven-Hell-Li...eaven+and+hell

On the Live Evil album from 1982, Dio mentioned the concert in question (Dallas, I believe) being filmed, but the much-wanted video release has never materialized. If you search on YouTube, you can find a short (and unauthorized) video from that footage, with the audio dubbed in from the corresponding track from Live Evil. I'm guessing the footage is either now lost or was never assembled and edited from the multi-camera shoot.

The 1980 "Black & Blue" tour with Sabbath and BOC was filmed and released as a concert movie back in the day, but I don't believe it's currently available on video. Performances from the two bands were interspersed, and there's YouTube available from it.

The 1980 "Black & Blue" tour with Sabbath and BOC was filmed and released as a concert movie back in the day, but I don't believe it's currently available on video.
    Yeah I remember when that came out. I wasn't into Heavy Metal at the time so I didn't really give a shit. Today I'm all over it. I'd rather get the film on DVD than watch it on Youtube. I know that 1970 thing in France is on Youtube but I'd rather just buy the DVD if it exists.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    When I saw them this past summer, Ozzy sounded quite good. I couldn't believe how much he had improved from those first few shows on the US tour. Some have said they had monitor issues on those first couple of Texas shows but whatever happened he had it sorted out. He was also singing far better than the two Melbourne shows, but since those were filmed I guess it was felt that they were reasonable enough to release.

It's probably a tough situation. I've heard some people say on recent solo tours Ozzy has started out very strong and went downhill as the tours went on. Whereas the opposite happened with the Sabbath tour. Maybe they filmed the first shows to capture the "best Ozzy" and it didn't quite work out that way ...

The DVD is very good, but I found Osbourne to be a bit rough around the edges. Way too much monitor reading during the new tunes and the voice sounds multitracked and echoed and whatever else. But to me he is the greatest rock frontman to ever walk the earth, so I still enjoy watching him even as his "grandpa" self and a shadow of what he was in his prime.

Ozzy's "act" is tired, but I don't care. I pay my respects to the guy and if I go see Sabbath I will "shout" when he asks even if he has beaten that into the ground. The guy invented a style of not only singing but fronting a band without pretension. An extraordinary accomplishment. Every time I watch vintage Sabbath clips I am astonished that with all of the bum wiggling, chest hair posing that was going on all around him, he went a totally different direction. It's astonishing that he had that figured out so long ago and how well it has aged. By the 80s he was a joke but so was most everybody. He has "redeemed" himself as well as anybody that was successful in the 80s and at least tried to come full circle with his career.

The band is on fire on the DVD but nowhere near as good as they have been playing more recently. Clufetos is too stiff. He just can't swing. It's not in him. He does seem to understand the "attack" involved in playing a bit in Bill's style, but it's a crazy combination to have that and swing. Bill was just one a million. He's missed on the new DVD.

To me this was a no-brainer but I did pass on the "Deluxe" set with the three additional songs. Because the "standard" Blu-ray is also incomplete, I just grabbed the DVD for now and I'm glad I did.

I far prefer The Last Supper, however. And yes, I even like the decision to splice that film with the interviews. It was more like a movie. The perfect film to introduce someone to the band, btw. Because it tells a story and is more than a concert film.
    I have to disagree here. They are playing my fave BS song,Children Of The Grave and I had never seen it before,just as it is getting close to all the good stuff from Tony,they stop the song and go backstage to talk to the band. Worst editing job ever. I remember being so angry with this crap on the vhs,I returned it the same day driving a total of 80 miles round-trip twice to do so. That video could have been awesome and it was chopped up with a Ginsu knife. They could re-release it with the interviews on one section and the concert intact and it would sell in the bonker range I have no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I have to disagree here. They are playing my fave BS song,Children Of The Grave and I had never seen it before,just as it is getting close to all the good stuff from Tony,they stop the song and go backstage to talk to the band. Worst editing job ever. I remember being so angry with this crap on the vhs,I returned it the same day driving a total of 80 miles round-trip twice to do so. That video could have been awesome and it was chopped up with a Ginsu knife. They could re-release it with the interviews on one section and the concert intact and it would sell in the bonker range I have no doubt.
    I feel the same way. My brother got it and told me all about it. Had it been uninterrupted music, I would have bought it in a minute.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Oh, most people agree with you, Rand.

I am in the minority on this but I enjoy the way that film was put together. It's more than a concert DVD. It's a story.

But then as a huge bootleg collector having full versions of "Children Of The Grave" on video isn't as big a deal for me. Of course, many aren't beautifully filmed from multiple angles like The Last Supper, but anyway ...

The new DVD should please you. It's a straight concert film.

What tour is The Last Supper From.....And is Never Say Die DVD worth getting????

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    What tour is The Last Supper From.....And is Never Say Die DVD worth getting????
    The Last Supper is from their 1998 Reunion tour. I believe it's the same Birmingham show as the Reunion 2-CD set, isn't it?

The Never Say Die DVD is from a 1978 show in England. It was originally shot for broadcast, and has been released a number of times on VHS and DVD. Don't expect pristine audio or video quality, but the performance seems pretty representative of what Sabbath was at the time. It's also not the complete setlist of what they were performing on the Never Say Die tour. However, I would recommend this over either the Last Supper or new 2013 DVDs, simply because it's much closer to Sabbath at their prime.