Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best live ELP

Of "best live ELP" I shamefully prefer best recorded live ELP.. Once I bought "A Time and a Place" box-set, and that was the lesson I have to endure)

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Of "best live ELP" I shamefully prefer best recorded live ELP.. Once I bought "A Time and a Place" box-set, and that was the lesson I have to endure)
    huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    That rules!

Totally subjective, as I'd said earlier

I need to find my last old trade list and see where I'd put it - I'd say a B by my standards

Genesis - Providence 74, (original one that was around, non-Lampiski version) - that one is the standard for an "A" audience tape from 74 : )

BG
    I haven't heard the non-Lampinski version. Dan Lampinski. Man, he was a boon for bootleg dorks like me a couple years ago.

Thanks guys. I guess I had stopped collecting ELP when that came out. I appreciate Pirates now more than when it was released. Works was a big letdown.

To be honest, I didn't like Dark Side of the Moon when it came either. It took a major shift to accept a band evolving in a way I did not expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Plink, plink, plinkity plinkity plink plunk.

Pretty sure I've seen a video of "Tank" with the orchestra, and it pretty clearly showed a bass player in the orchestra.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'm not that big of an ELP fan to read through all of the posts. I have a few ELP boots on vinyl that haven't been played in 30+ years. I'm willing to send to anyone willing to pay for postage. I also have a MarYSol EP containing "Take A Pebble." If anyone is interested...
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    I dunno Jeff - I played all of Mar y Sol and a decent bit of Buffalo, (official live box version), last night and I think the former blows it pretty far out of the water

Yes, Buffalo is a wicked performance, but I think the Sol is different but equally intense and the sound quality totally (Donald) trumps it

Buffalo was not one of the tapes I digitized before storing, I'm curious as to how much better my copy was

I came REALLY close to disposing of my tapes but just couldn't bring myself to do it, we took a storage unit to help clear out our clutter and there they sit

As far as boards, a raw cassette soundboard like the Genesis Lamb tour ones that have surfaced are my sweet spot

I had collected 25 -30 Lamb tour shows in the late 70's and most all were audies and they were all in regular rotation on my deck, and these were such a major (Genesis to) Revelation for me

BG
    I think you have more company than me on this issue, but I find many boards to sound utterly dead. They sometimes do nothing for me. Clinical, dry, not like a concert at all. I love Pre-FM and radio broadcasts because those are often recorded more like a live album. But I'll take a great Aud. like Lamb in Providence over either of the Florida boards any day. I suppose that's also about performance.

Mar Y Sol is great, but it's not a standard soundboard. It's a pro recording with audience mics. Amazing sound and edgy performance, but not one of Lake's better versions of "Lucky Man." "Tarkus" hasn't quite taken its final shape in terms of being a fully realized composition live, and overall it's just lacking too many great songs that a longer performance like Buffalo has and of course BSS material was with the world by then, too. Hard to compare them except that I think ELP in 1974 were a well-oiled machine. In '72 they were really a haphazard, choppy, heavy, blistering combo and that has great appeal, but I really appreciate just how fine tuned they were by '74. I think the control Keith had over his rig by '74 is just about peerless and he easily had the most sophisticated rig of any rock keyboard player in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    What a coincidence! I listened to some of the Buffalo show last night as well and I had forgotten not only how great the performance is, but the quality of the recording as well. I'd actually give it as high as an "A" rating for SQ, although this sort of stuff is pretty subjective I guess. It's pretty astounding for an audience recording from 1974-and in all truth, I don't find it any more difficult to listen to than WBMFTTSTNE. The performance destroys that album as well, IMO.
    Yup. I have this thread to thank for reminding me to give Buffalo a spin. Coincidentally I had been listening to Mar Y Sol recently, but I think Buffalo's reputation is even more well deserved!

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Plink, plink, plinkity plinkity plink plunk.

Pretty sure I've seen a video of "Tank" with the orchestra, and it pretty clearly showed a bass player in the orchestra.
    I believe there's also a guitarist visible in some shots of the orchestra as well.

huh?
    That's right. huh-huh-huh, unfortunately

That's right. huh-huh-huh, unfortunately
    I was serious. I don't understand what you said at all.

I was serious. I don't understand what you said at all.
    But that's good, I was serious as well. And I don't get your 'huh' at all. And what puzzled you in my opinion I don't understand either.

I always thought that exerpts of the Tulsa 74 show that were on the double disc king biscuit flower hour show to be one of their best...

Not such a big ELP fan here so there's a lot about this band I don't know. Please bear with me...

I was always surprised that PAAE was a live performance of a piece that had not been recorded by them in the sudio. Up until that time most live albums that I was familiar with, recapitulated a bands previously studio recorded songs.

Any answers as to why this tactic was used?
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

What LESSON are you talking about? The only reason I wrote huh? was because I don't understand what you are trying to convey ^.

Hi,

Here is list of recording which I like a lot and would recommend.

Official Releases:
    There are others which have parts I like, but these are good as complete collections
    Mar y Sol ‘72
    A Time and A Place ( I really like this collection a lot)
    Nassau Coliseum 78

Commercially available (not sure if these are official releases)
    Masters from the Vault – A DVD of a 1970 Belgium concert. Very Good, documents a young, vibrant group. Great performance, fair video quality (http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=7218)
    Hollywood Bowl 71: Available at: http://www.whoohoolive.com/artist-ar...ood-bowl-1971/
    NYC 77 w/ Orchestra : Available at: http://www.whoohoolive.com/artist-ar...-second-night/

ROIO’s
    I have quite a few of these and the while the performance is always good, the quality goes from fair to great. With ROIO’s, a lot has to do with what you are looking for and what you are willing to put up with. These are the ones I like a lot. This is not to say they are the best:
    Munich 73 – Get Me a Ladder Tour (pre-BSS) Has a alternative/early version of KarnEvil#9
    Providence 74 – Early Lampinski recording. Recorded on a cheap recorder, but very good performance
    New Jersey 74 – Similar to Buffalo 74 – Outstanding version of Aquatarkus.
    Chicago 97 – I was at this show….

If there is a down sides to ELP live, it is their setlist. I read an article in which Chris Squire was saying that Greg Lake was lamenting “We only play 12 songs… And this is sadly quite true.

Sure, once a tour started, the setlist didn't change. Sure, you were pretty certainly going to hear Hoedown, Tarkus, Take a Pebble, Lucky Man, (after 1977) Fanfare/Rondo, but to be honest, I don't see how they could have done much more of their material in the 1970-74 period.

The Barbarian was usurped by Hoedown, Tank needed polyphonic synths and was rendered moot by Carl's drum solo spot being in Rondo anyway, The Three Fates was never a viable live choice.

Side 2 of Tarkus, my namesake song Jeremy Bender was played on the 1973 European tour in a medley with The Sheriff, Bitches Crystal was done in the 90's when Keith had the polyphonic synths to do it justice, Hymn/The Only Way wasn't viable without a church organ available, A Time & Place was played in 1972 and was there any ELP fan that was clamoring for Are You Ready Eddy?, I don't think so.

From Trilogy, all of side 1 was played at one time or another, Living Sin wasn't really doable with only one singer and Abbadon's Bolero sounded like crap when they used the tapes and Greg played Mellotron on the 1973 European tour. Trilogy (the song) would have been a perfect choice for the BSS tour since Keith had a polyphonic synth, definitely in the 90's too, but of course it was never played live.

All of BSS was done live and the one thing they should done on the orchestra tour, all three Impressions of Karn Evil 9, got reduced to 1st Impression, Part 2.

I'm sure there's plenty of ELP fans that cry themselves to sleep at night that the Love Beach material never got played live. Kidding aside, For You and Canario would have worked live.

I think it's more a case of "ELP didn't have much material to begin with" rather than "Why didn't they play this and that and the other songs live?".
    ...or you could love

i have always liked their live set from the wiltern theater in 1993. not sure whether they were already back to hating each other by that time ;-)> but they certainly played as if their lives depended on it – with grace, panache and relentless urgency. the cracks were already audible and that makes the listening even more worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    Trilogy (the song) would have been a perfect choice for the BSS tour since Keith had a polyphonic synth, definitely in the 90's too, but of course it was never played live.
    I think it came up in this very thread but "Trilogy" was played live many times. From about March '72 to June '72 it appears to have been in fairly regular rotation.

Wow - really? I LOVE that box. I'd pay the full price just to get that performance of The Endless Enigma.

Has anyone watched these yet? Would you recommend it.

$26.97 from Amazon.

81bkWFjmC0L._SL1500_.jpg\

This Special Edition 3DVD set brings together concerts by Emerson, Lake & Palmer from their very beginning in 1970 up to one of their latter performances in 1997. Birth Of A Band was filmed at the legendary Isle Of Wight Festival in the summer of 1970 and was ELP s first proper gig. Pictures At An Exhibition was filmed at the Lyceum in London in December 1970 and later released in cinemas in 1973. Live At Montreux was filmed at the famous Swiss festival in 1997 and sees the band playing tracks from across their hugely successful career.

Disc One Pictures At An Exhibition
    Tracklisting:

1) Pictures At An Exhibition: Promenade / The Gnome / Promenade / The Sage / The Old Castle / Blues Variation / Promenade / The Hut Of Baba Yaga / The Curse Of Baba Yaga / The Great Gate Of Kiev 2) Take A Pebble 3) Knife Edge 4) Rondo

Disc Two Birth Of A Band: Live At The Isle Of Wight Festival 1970

1) Pictures At An Exhibition 2) Take A Pebble 3) Rondo 4) Nutrocker

Disc Three Live At Montreux 1997
    Tracklisting:

1) Karn Evil 9 First Impression, Part 2 2) Tiger In The Spotlight 3) Hoedown 4) Touch And Go 5) From The Beginning 6) Knife Edge 7) Bitches Crystal 8) Dance Creole 9) Honky Tonk Train Blues 10) Take A Pebble 11) Lucky Man 12) Tarkus 13) Pictures At An Exhibition 14) Medley: Fanfare For The Common Man / Rondo / Carmina Burana / Toccata In Dm

I saw one version of the Pictures Of An Exhibition film a year or two back, finally. It was the one with the psychedelic effects that a lot of kvetch about. I thought it was pretty good, but not better than the Pictures album.

What I'd really like to see is more of the footage from the shows that appeared on the Beyond The Beginning DVD. You get like one or two songs from each show. I'd love to know if there's not more out there from those shows. Particularly love to know if there isn't a full Tarkus on video somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Not such a big ELP fan here so there's a lot about this band I don't know. Please bear with me...

I was always surprised that PAAE was a live performance of a piece that had not been recorded by them in the sudio. Up until that time most live albums that I was familiar with, recapitulated a bands previously studio recorded songs.

Any answers as to why this tactic was used?
    From what I understand, they wanted to get settled in with each other by learning an entire work rather than "Pressed Rat and Warthog," as Janis Schacht of Circus asked. I think it was Palmer who answered the question. I do not know why they didn't do an album with the trio playing the piece in the studio.

Quote Originally Posted by cavgator View Post
    From what I understand, they wanted to get settled in with each other by learning an entire work rather than "Pressed Rat and Warthog," as Janis Schacht of Circus asked. I think it was Palmer who answered the question. I do not know why they didn't do an album with the trio playing the piece in the studio.
    Pressed Rat And Warthog?! The Cream track?! I actually rather like that one.

Beyond The Beginning has a cute video on their bonus footage menu. Some guy confiscating tape recorders before a show in 1973 ! Too bad we don't have those concert recordings today, huh ?? Thanks buddy !!