Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Obnoxious musicians you've met?

Obnoxious musicians you've met?

Which musicians have you met or tried to meet but came across as 'high & mighty' & rude?

I have a freind who recently bought a VIP pass on the last Rush tour. Sed it was a waste of money. Literally involved forming an orderly queue to say no more than hello & no autographs, in fact he felt too 'afraid' to ask .

Other artists who where known to avoid fans at all costs after shows where Freddy Mercury & Phil Collins!
    Last edited by Rufus; 12-02-2013 at 07:41 AM.

You have to be really careful with a topic like this, because any musician that might be super cool 9 times out of 10 can be a real dick that 10th time if they're distracted, having a bad night or whatever.

But, that being said: Ian Anderson. Dismissive and patronizing. Again, might just have been the circumstances.

Though I haven't met them in person, believe me when I tell you that Jerry Cantrell, Chris Cornel, James Hetfield & despite everyone thinking to the contrary, Dave Grohl are *All* major a-holes.
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 12-02-2013 at 08:10 AM.

Don't know about James but Lars sure has a reputation as a dick. I gather this thread is supposed to be about personal experience though...

What I wrote is based on firsthand experience from someone I know very well. Oh and add Ann Wilson to that list.

Ann? Aw man. That's a shame.

Corky Laing, drummer for Mountain. He was playing in Leslie West's band when I met him. That was the first and only time I've seen him and was very disappointed in his behavior. Really great drummer, who, apparently, gets his kicks from pelting the crowd with drum sticks. After the gig, he barely made any effort to sign autographs, just scribbling in a nanosecond. A musician friend of mine took his teenage kids to see Leslie and, while certainly no prude, was a bit miffed at some of the inappropriate shit Corky was doing and saying.

Leslie seemed pretty cool, although I've seen the obnoxious side. But, I knew better and stroked his ego when I met him, calling him "The Legendary Leslie West," (which he is) as I extended my hand for a shake.

Conversely, Rick Wakeman was a total gentleman.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    This is going to be one of those threads that tell us as much about the posters as about the artists and the fans expectation of how they should be treated.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Obviously fans expectations of their fav artists are certainly not equal to the artists expectations of their fans. Did I get snubbed by Mike Oldfield, sure, I was like 17 or something. Not that I'd ever blame them... But they're public figures, and should certainly know what happens when approached by fans. Oddly enough, Ian Gillian actually went out of his way to talk to me that same summer when I was 17...

In the "dick" column" ... Ian Anderson (heard MANY stories), Ritchie Blackmore, Steve Howe (experience), and of course Neil Peart is upfront about not ever wanting to meet fans.

In the "wow, nice guy" column, all experience... Ian Gillian, some of the Van Halen guys, a very young Def Leppard, Rick Wakeman, Patrick Moraz, Jon Anderson,

But honestly I stopped wanting to meet Rock Stars a very, very long time ago. As someone once told me about Peter Hammill, "be careful for what you wish for, your fav artist just might be the biggest *hole you ever met!"
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I don't go out of my way to meet-n-greet musicians. They're human, subject to all the human flaws we're subject to. If it happens spontaneously and the musicians don't seem paranoid and uncomfortable I'll gab with them. I totally get why musicians are standoff-ish with fans. I guess none of us can really relate to that so I try not to judge these people (and that's why I don't have to meet them to admire them as great musicians). I had a very positive experience when I met the 3 Kings X guys. It was all spontaneous. Jerry Gaskill was kind of off to himself but he was polite. Doug and Ty were very talkative but I was wary of not overstaying my welcome.

I've told this story before. about 20 years ago I went to see Phil Keaggy at some big church. I've always admired him and thought it would be nice to meet him. After the show there was a long line, and sure enough one fan tried to monopolize Phil's attention. Now Phil's starting to get antsy and worried. I think I saw him roll his eyes a couple times too . And I'm like way back at the end of the line, and I'm wondering "what am I doing here?" Phil's a great guitarist. I'm not his friend. I don't need to meet the guy. Besides, he looks like he really wants to get the hell outta this place. So since that time I've nenver tried to meet any celebrities.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Ann? Aw man. That's a shame.
    Afraid so, unfortunately. My image of her is forever shattered. This is very recent shit too & *not* the ol' "crappy meet n greet" scenario.
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 12-02-2013 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    and of course Neil Peart is upfront about not ever wanting to meet fans.
    In Neil's defense, he stated that he just doesn't get it. I don't see that as being a dick or obnoxious. He just seems to be very uncomfortable and embarrassed about it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Everyone is human. Some artists just might not be the most social people, or get overwhelmed meeting people, or are busy at the moment, or tired, or have a headache... Gee, stars are just like us!

I think if a fan gets treated less than stellar or doesn't get what he was wishing, the musician gets branded an *hole. And heaven forbid, a musician ever yell and someone in the crew. The crew are always perfect and never need reprimanding.

-As someone once told me about Peter Hammill, "be careful for what you wish for, your fav artist just might be the biggest *hole you ever met!"-

interesting he couldnt have been more acomidating when i met him after a show many many years ago.

its easy for us to comment but you just don't know untill youve walked in their shoes.

Every time I have been around Ann Wilson she has been nice. I have not witnessed her being rude or mean to fans. This is a first hand account with about 5 encounters.

Wow, 15 posts and no mention of Fripp?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Other artists who where known to avoid fans at all costs after shows where Freddy Mercury & Phil Collins!
    I don't know about Freddie but that's simply not true about Phil. Most musicians don't seek out fans after a show but he did not 'avoid them at all costs', apart from perhaps the 80s period where he was such a worldwide celebrity that he was being hounded.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    You have to be really careful with a topic like this, because any musician that might be super cool 9 times out of 10 can be a real dick that 10th time if they're distracted, having a bad night or whatever.

But, that being said: Ian Anderson. Dismissive and patronizing. Again, might just have been the circumstances.
    First part is totally true. I'm a nice guy most of the time but a bad day at work can make me pretty miserable. If some stranger came bounding over to me I'd likely be a tad on the rude side. But since that doesn't happen to most of us, nobody notices.

Second part is a perfect example of this, because when I met Ian he was nice enough to stop to sign my CD, chat (albeit briefly) and pose for a picture that took longer than it should because my wife was having problems with the camera. He then thanked her for 'doing her best' - and all this while already being late for soundcheck! (Jonathan Noyce stormed inside and didn't say a word to anybody.)

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    As someone once told me about Peter Hammill, "be careful for what you wish for, your fav artist just might be the biggest *hole you ever met!"
    Again I have to provide a counterpoint here. Peter Hammill was heading into his hotel a few hours before a gig, and I happened to notice him as I was looking for a place to have dinner. I said "Psssst! Peter!" and smiled, and he came straight over, arm extended for a firm handshake and chatted with us. He was warm, genuine, and thankful to hear "I'm such a huge fan" for surely the nine thousandth time in his life. I was on cloud nine after that, as not only has his music and lyrics been very important to me over the years, but he was such a nice friendly chap.

As for Neil Peart not wanting to meet fans, he's made it plainly clear many times over the years why that is - I'd not call that 'obnoxious'. I wouldn't want to either, personally. Well, maybe the hot girls.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I once met Antonio Salieri, and, while he wasn't rude or obnoxious, he was really jealous over some up-and-coming kid named Mozart.

Never will go out of my way to meet any musician, I am there to hear their music, end story.

But "name" musicians that by chance I happened to interact with, Observed unacceptable behavior - Keith Emerson, Dave Mason, on the other end, Mike Keneally and Peter White.

My experience with Leslie Weinstein (West) has been documented by me on PE before. Suffice it to say that he was beyond obnoxious, and he wasn't anything more than a local celeb at the time (in the Vagrants).

I watched Mickey Mantle and Enos Slaughter both SPIT on autograph-seeking kids when I was young.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Observed unacceptable behavior - Keith Emerson

Bad behavior- Pat Metheny (when he was young), Keith Jarrett.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Every time I have been around Ann Wilson she has been nice. I have not witnessed her being rude or mean to fans. This is a first hand account with about 5 encounters.
    What I'm referring to is very much behind the scenes & away from cameras. Otherwise she's all roses and smiles.
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 12-02-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    What I'm referring to is very much behind the scenes & away from cameras. Otherwise she's all roses and smiles.
    Well, then this thread could go on for hundreds of pages. There are a bunch of those!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Well, then this thread could go on for hundreds of pages. There are a bunch of those!
    It sure can. There are way more a-holes in the music business (esp. performers) than most people realize.