Thread: Beethoven Symphony No. 5

Beethoven Symphony No. 5

Was listening to this piece performed by the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra on YouTube, and noticed a few measures about three quarters of the way through. I recognize it as a melody I had heard before in a movie, perhaps one of the themes from Star Wars or Et? I cant pinpoint it. Have a listen and let me know if you recognize this melody as a piece used and elaborated on in a movie theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POVjeuef0RY

the melody line is from 23:56-24:15. And especially the line at 24:08. Oddly familiar

Classical music is used extensively in movies and TV. You may have heard it in any number of places, either in a movie or on TV, perhaps in an advert, for instance. Hell, you might have even heard it in an old Bugs Bunny cartoon. Carl Stalling was infamous for "borrowing" stuff from other people. That's why he's typically not credited as a "composer" on most of the Looney Tunes, but rather as "musical director" or something of that sort.

Beethoven's 5th is one, if not the most borrowed from opus of classical music. Parts of it are everywhere: in films, on tv, in adverts, in other music. And that particular section has been used dozens of times e.g. in car adverts and accentuating emotions in both dramas and sitcoms.

Quote Originally Posted by NuovoCello View Post
    I recognize it as a melody I had heard before in a movie, perhaps one of the themes from Star Wars or Et?
    Williams is certainly no stranger to lifting themes from other composers, but I don't recognise that theme from any of his scores.

BTW - that performance is a very fine one. Thanks for the link.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Beethoven's 4th was warmer.