Thread: Couple of Questions about Oppo BDP-103 Player

Couple of Questions about Oppo BDP-103 Player

I used to have an Oppo BDP-83 blu-ray player; sold it about a year ago. I'm thinking about finally upgrading to the 103 model, but have a couple of questions:

1 - Will 103 output SACD via HDMI and/or Optical? This was an issue with my 83 - I currently connect only via HDMI or optical.

2 - Will the 103 recognize 1TB external drives connected via USB? The 83 did not, though 32GB memory stick was fine.

3a - Is playback motion during Fast Forward improved? The 83 was horrible in FF mode.

3b - Any chance there's audio at 1.5 or 2x speed? I know it's strange, but being able to watch documentaries or listen to audio commentaries at an accelerated rate is important to me. I haven't found a blu-ray player yet that will do this...

4 - If you have one with region-free modification, does it detect blu-ray regions automatically, or do you still need to power down the machine and enter a numeric code to switch regions?

Any other Blu-ray player recommendations besides the Oppo that satisfies all the above (well, mainly 3b).

Many thanks in advance!

Peter

I have the Oppo BDP-103 with the region free mod. A code must be entered with no disc in, then the Oppo turned off then back on. I'll see if there's anything in the manual re: the other questions. Didn't have an 83 model so can't do a comparison.
    Last edited by philsunset; 12-02-2013 at 04:10 AM.

I would think the BDP 103 would be able to handle a 1TB drive without an issue. I have a 2TB drive hooked up to my BDP-95 and I've never had a problem. You can't output SACD via optical; you'll only get the hi-rez layer through HDMI to an audio/video receiver or via multi channel analog outputs to your receiver/pre-amp.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Tangential question, but I was looking at some 1TB drives in Costco, and noticed they were USB 3.0. I didn't even know there was a USB3.0 (I have some new equipment and don't think any of it has jacks that will accept these USB 3.0 connectors). The connectors looked quite different from USB and USB2. Will the OPPO BDP-103 handle USB 3.0 connectors?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Tangential question, but I was looking at some 1TB drives in Costco, and noticed they were USB 3.0. I didn't even know there was a USB3.0 (I have some new equipment and don't think any of it has jacks that will accept these USB 3.0 connectors). The connectors looked quite different from USB and USB2. Will the OPPO BDP-103 handle USB 3.0 connectors?
    I have a USB 3.0 jack in my brand new ASUS Transformer Computer and it looks the same as USB 2.0 and I'm using my wireless mouse through it.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Hey Peter, hope all is well.

My buddy in Atlanta got one of the 103, I still have an 83. Was down to his place a couple weeks ago.

The USB ports are 2.0 USB 3.0 are blue and backward compatible. HUGE speed difference, surprised they didn't go with USB3.

I don't think SACD transfers over optical. It never did. Use either analog outs or DSD over HDMI if your receiver can support it.

I know the 83 does sound over 1x (either 1.5x or 2x is the max), not sure about the 103.

What's the region free mod for this? just a code? Is there one for the 83?
    I'd love to play region B. I had to set up a media center pc with AnyDVD to play them.

here's the link to the specs (which I'm sure you've read)
    http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...-Features.aspx

Jim
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    The USB ports are 2.0 USB 3.0 are blue and backward compatible.
    Does this mean that USB 3.0 male will fit USB 2.0 female jacks. I couldn't tell for sure looking at them.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I have a USB 3.0 jack in my brand new ASUS Transformer Computer and it looks the same as USB 2.0 and I'm using my wireless mouse through it.
    The USB 3.0 cable end I saw looked like the one on top in this photo:

But if the other end looks like a USB 2.0, maybe this is a cable meant to connect USB 3.0 devices to USB 2.0 devices?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    But if the other end looks like a USB 2.0, maybe this is a cable meant to connect USB 3.0 devices to USB 2.0 devices?
    Yes, the USB connector on the computer ( host ) end is all the same shape, just the Blue color clue that it will support USB 3.0 ( high speed devices ) which all require the odd shaped connector on the device end.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I'd love to play region B.
    Some internal mod was done by the place where I bought my 103. The code is still needed to change regions. Region-free is the only way to go IMHO.

USB3 A ends have inside plastic piece that is blue, not necessarily the cable.

That cable pictured above has a micro B end. Connecting devices with a normal USB3 B won't fit a USB2 B receptacle because it is just a little bit larger.

USB1.0 = 1.5Mbs
    USB1.1 = 12Mbs
    USB2.0 = 480Mbs
    USB3.0 = 3Gbs
    USB3.0 superspeed = 5Gbs
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

You may want to consider the new Oppo 103D with Darbee video processing. The AVS forum link has a very good description of the specs and differences to the 103.

http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-1...-Overview.aspx

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492940/of...-owners-thread

I appreciate all the responses. Darbee sounds interesting, but reading some of the reviews on Amazon doesn't sound like something I'd really get into - I hate fine-tuning stuff (and that goes for surround sound - I miss the simpler days of r/l speakers).

I currently have an LG region-free player, but I hate the user interface, so I rely more on a cheap Pioneer for most of my watching...but that means multiple remotes (even though I have a Logitech Harmony, for some reason it wouldn't accept some of the LG commands).

The Oppo would solve lots of issues and streamline my whole set-up...but still having a hard time justifying the expense. Anyone here interested in the LG BD640 for $150?

Peter

Years ago I downloaded the Genesis Dusseldorf cinema broadcast; 17GB mkv. While it plays fine on my computer, neither my LG or Pioneer would play it from the 1TB drive - by any chance has anyone downloaded this particular version and had success in watching it via the Oppo? --Peter

Hey Peter, hope all is well.

I'd love to play region B. I had to set up a media center pc with AnyDVD to play them.

Jim

The region-free modification is a hardware one. When I had my 83 I ordered the kit from one of the sellers on Ebay. Back then I think it was $50. Comes with instructions on how to install it - not too difficult. I think the 83 mod kit is selling for much less on Ebay since there's almost no demand for it anymore. Once installed you would turn the machine off with no disc inside, push the blue button and number 1, 2 or 3 for whichever region you wanted to change it to. Turn the machine back on and play the disc.

I had hoped there would have been more blu-ray players on sale cheap this holiday season - some cheaper models can actually be hacked with remote control codes...but I saw nothing.

Peter

There's a region-free device being sold on eBay that you install externally using two of the jacks in back. I'm kind of interested in this, although I only have a couple of DVDs that won't work on my new Oppo.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Some answers:

1 - HDMI only.

2 - Yes, I use a 2TB external with it.

3a - Improved, no idea. It's not bad, but it's not a mode I use or think much about.

3b - No idea. Interesting technique you have there.

4 - Region Free for Blu-ray can only be done via a hardware modification. Via a software modification, you can make it region free DVD only.

This may help a bit too - http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103-faq.html

Use either analog outs or DSD over HDMI if your receiver can support it.
    For SACD DSD output, you can also use the HDMI2 output. The HDMI1 output converts SACD to PCM.

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    Years ago I downloaded the Genesis Dusseldorf cinema broadcast; 17GB mkv. While it plays fine on my computer, neither my LG or Pioneer would play it from the 1TB drive - by any chance has anyone downloaded this particular version and had success in watching it via the Oppo? --Peter
    mkv files play just fine on the Oppo 103.
    Last edited by Nearfest2; 12-05-2013 at 10:54 PM.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire Nexus View Post

4 - No, it will not become region free for Blu-ray.

This may help a bit too - http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103-faq.html
    Not sure I understand this. The 103 can be moded to be region free.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Sorry, let me clarify (and I'll edit my post above)... It can be moded via software to be Region Free for DVD only, not Blu-ray. Region Free for Blu-ray required a hardware modification.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire Nexus View Post
    Sorry, let me clarify (and I'll edit my post above)... It can be moded via software to be Region Free for DVD only, not Blu-ray. Region Free for Blu-ray required a hardware modification.
    Thanks Chad. I didn't know the particulars but it's great to watch blu-rays from any region.

Glad that BBQs don't need any mods to be "region-free".