Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Currently listening to the best American...

Currently listening to the best American...

..Neo-prog-metal album ever released....

....When Dream and Day Unite - Dream Theater

I think I would even go further than that and say the best American prog album ever released.

I'd agree with your first post, but not with your second.

FZ and the Mothers' Uncle Meat is probably the best in my book, at least offhand. And that it isn't really definable as "prog", or as any other genre except its own doesn't change that.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I think I would even go further than that and say the best American prog album ever released.
    Maybe in an alternate universe where Happy The Man, Djam Karet, The Muffins, Grits, Rascal Reporters, Dr. Nerve, However, Spock's Beard, Glass Hammer, Phideaux, Rare Blend, St. Elmo's Fire, Syzygy, Far Point, IZZ, Rocket Scientists, and Mars Hollow don't exist.

Fortunately, for those who enjoy tasteful music, all of those American groups do exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I'd agree with your first post, but not with your second.

FZ and the Mothers' Uncle Meat is probably the best in my book, at least offhand. And that it isn't really definable as "prog", or as any other genre except its own doesn't change that.
    I would characterize Uncle Meat as more of a cross between free jazz, contemporary classical, and doo wop music. The vocal tunes would be the doo wop, the "written" instrumentals would be the classical and the free jazz would be things like Ian Whips It Out and King Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Fortunately, for those who enjoy tasteful music
    Well, define "tasteful" music?

Musical taste is 100% subjective, so all music by defintion must be tasteful to someone.

Calling music tasteful is as unhelpful as calling music good or bad...........because it all depends on..........................................wait for it................................................ .................................................. ..........taste.

Is it "Neo-prog-metal", "Symphonic Metal Prog", or "Progressive Electric Heavy Rock Classical- Core on Rye (hold the tomato)"?

I only like two of those genres

Wow, you've defined "prog"... separated everything out that's not "prog" and listened to every American "prog" recording ever released ...so you could say with certainty which one is the "best". That's really nice to know.
    Last edited by Bake 1; 12-01-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    Wow, you've defined "prog"... separated everything out that's not "prog" and listened to every American "prog" recording ever released ...so you could say with certainty which one is the "best". That's really nice to know.
    THIS IS a musical discussion forum. Subjectivity rules. Objectivity is for science. Music is not science. Music is art. Art is subjective.
    If you do not wish to read about subjective opinions and even hyperbolic subjective opinions a musical discussion forum is not the place for you. And in common parlance, when people talk about the best of something, it refers to the best of what they have heard or seen or read so far NOT the best of everything that exists of that type.
    If you want people on this forum to stop discussing what they consider is the best this or the best that, you will be waiting a long time.......because......guess what.....THIS IS a musical discussion forum. Subjectivity rules. Objectivity is for science. Music is not science. Music is art. Art is subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Maybe in an alternate universe where Happy The Man, Djam Karet, The Muffins, Grits, Rascal Reporters, Dr. Nerve, However, Spock's Beard, Glass Hammer, Phideaux, Rare Blend, St. Elmo's Fire, Syzygy, Far Point, IZZ, Rocket Scientists, and Mars Hollow don't exist.

Fortunately, for those who enjoy tasteful music, all of those American groups do exist.
    Remember, Peter never heard Revolver until the 1990s and STILL hasn't heard SPLHCB. If he's ignorant of the motherf**cking BEATLES fer christakes gawd only knows what else he's never heard of. I have decided to take all of his recommendations with this in mind.

Why are you such an unpleasant person?

Peter,
    Your notions of subjective / objective and science also are way off... if you wanna' avoid being called out for not employing any critical thinking skills, you might do well to note that it's my favorite and it's the best are not automatically the same thing.

Why are you such an unpleasant person?
    It's my choice. Just as yours is to be ignorant.

Hysterical.

It's not even close to the best Dream Theater album.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    It's my choice. Just as yours is to be ignorant.
    That you actively choose to be unpleasant certainly explains a great deal. I however choose to, at least, attempt to remain civil despite constant provocation.

Pink Floyd is NOT prog!

Peter,
    Your notions of subjective / objective and science also are way off... if you wanna' avoid being called out for not employing any critical thinking skills, you might do well to note that it's my favorite and it's the best are not automatically the same thing.
    This is worth repeating.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Peter,
    you might do well to note that it's my favorite and it's the best are not automatically the same thing.
    Use of hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    This is worth repeating. Bake , "that it's my favorite and it's the best are not automatically the same thing"
    Really? Yet in your previous post you said, "It's not even close to the best Dream Theater album"

Your opinion.
    Mine is that it is the best DT album.

One in which you're very, very much alone. General consensus is that WDaDU is by far their worst album.

One in which you're very, very much alone. General consensus is that WDaDU is by far their worst album.

I am horrified and shocked, shocked and horrified even.

But I suppose it kind of explains why I don't like any other DT albums.

.. why I don't like any other DT albums.
    Stick to this wording and we'll be fine. "I like this album, I don't like that album." "In my opinion..."

Where you get into trouble is when you say, "Such-and-such album is the best American prog album ever." That's not stated as an opinion, and that opinion is not universally shared.

Hence you get negative feedback.

Learn from it.

Dream Theatre are Berkeley Grads.....Berkley doesnt count as US - Berkley is "we are SO awesome that we deem Berkley as its own country"

Just sayin.........

*TheatER

It's not even close to the best Dream Theater album.
    Quote Originally Posted by an old joke, probably apocryphal
    Ringo: I'm the best drummer in the world!
    Paul: Ringo, you're not even the best drummer in The Beatles.