Thread: Anthony Phillips - Advices..

Anthony Phillips - Advices..

Just got this amazing album 'Slow Dance'.. Stunning album but where should I turn next? The guy seems to have a pretty vast discography. Are there other albums that will remind me of 'Slow Dance'? Would love some help from you Ant-fans
    Last edited by Hour Candle; 11-29-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Dont know Slow Dance
    but just love the first four ones
    The Geese and the Ghost (1977)
    Wise After the Event (1978)
    Private Parts and Pieces (1978)
    Sides (1979)

Thanks! I only know The Geese and The Ghost of the ones you named. Will surley check them out! Anyone familiar with the Slow Dance album? Olivetti, this album is most recommended!

Slow Dance is one of my favourite Phillips albums. If you're looking for a similar large-scale, quasi-orchestral instrumental approach, Tarka (with Harry Williamson) would be the obvious choice - it is actually orchestral and very beautiful, but less of a rock work than Slow Dance. 1984 is a similar large-scale work, but made mostly with a piano, Polymoog and a somewhat annoying drum machine.

Phillips' other work tends more towards shorter instrumentals and occasional songs, though it is no less beautiful or touching for it. I would second the recommendation about his debut The Geese and the Ghost, which is sort of beautifully rendered, acoustic-heavy combination of Tudor-era pastiche and the very early Genesis sound. His long-line of Private Parts & Pieces releases contain some exquisite numbers for acoustic guitar, piano or synthesizers, particularly the second one, Back to the Pavillion, which also harks back to the progressive rock sound now and then. I personally like very much his last year's release The Seventh Heaven, which is purely orchestral, but consists of short compositions.

Slow Dance is a great album, and I second the Tarka recommendation.

I have every Anthony Phillips CD - and there are a lot! - and a few of my top favourites are Private Parts And Pieces III: Antiques, Private Parts And Pieces VIII: New England, The Meadows Of Englewood, and of course The Geese And The Ghost, Wise After The Event and Sides. Also nice to see a mention of Seventh Heaven, another lovely album. Also keep in mind the Missing Links series. There is a nice triple set of the first three releases that is well worth getting. BTW, I also rather liked last year's Private Parts And Pieces XI: City Of Dreams, which may not appeal to everyone, it's like 30+ short tracks but they have a mesmerizing sound. I like Ant's synth work as much as his guitar, and some of these albums make fantastic background music (that's not a negative comment at all).

Lots of music to explore in Ant's catalogue, dive in and enjoy!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Get the deluxe version of The Geese And The Ghost (probably the only one you'll find on CD, as I imagine all previous editions are out of print). Also get the first five Private Parts And Pieces albums, particularly the first one and the fourth.

Just get everything

I also like his recent City of Dreams, and Pathways and Promenades--both a mix of ambient/pastoral/electronic/acoustic that he does so well. Enjoy the journey in his world...

I don't know if you are already familiar, but then you might get into the rich discography of Mike Oldfield...

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    Just get everything
    I agree with this.

And yes, Pathways And Promenades - beautiful.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I have to concur. Get them all. I have every one of them and don't think there is a bad one in the lot. Slow Dance is a great album. An excellent introduction to his work but there are so many shades to Ant's material. Lots of acoustic guitar material. Duets, some vocal stuff, pop songs, orchestral works...just amazing records.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

I recommend a compilation called 'Anthology', which was a budget CD and quite representative of all his different styles. Otherwise all my AP albums- save the deluxe 'Geese...'- are old import records I found cheap several years ago.

Be warned with 'The Geese And The Ghost'. It's a beautiful album, but I find the Genesis comparisons overplayed. It's a mostly acoustic record and doesn't rock even as much as 'Trespass' does, not having many drums on it. Nevertheless it's certainly highly recommended as a piece of pastoral prog.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

Be warned with 'The Geese And The Ghost'. It's a beautiful album, but I find the Genesis comparisons overplayed. It's a mostly acoustic record and doesn't rock even as much as 'Trespass' does, not having many drums on it. Nevertheless it's certainly highly recommended as a piece of pastoral prog.
    If you like the acoustic side of Genesis, ie the first part of The Cinema Show, Lover's Leap, Stagnation, etc, imagine that sound with the addition of more orchestral instruments, and that's kind of what you get The Geese And The Ghost. Beyond that, the Genesis comparisons probably stem from the presence of Rutherford (who co-wrote the two "big" pieces that comprise most of the album) and Collins, as well John Hackett (yes, that's right Ant employed his successor's brother on this record).

Slow Dance is great, and I agree that the ones most like it are Tarka and 1984 (slow dance may be a bit mellower overall than 1984) Geese & The Ghost is many people's favorite, and it is uniquely gorgeous for sure. I love his solo piano albums, 'Soiree' and 'Ivory Moon' and the other 'Private Parts' albums I enjoy most are the first two, and #8 (New England).

Thanks to all for your replies. Yes, Slow Dance feels like a great album to start with. But, I will be getting them all (the ones I can find that is)!

Some people are turned off somewhat by the dated drum machine sound in 1984 but that album has some nice melodies.

Yeah, 1984 is still really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Some people are turned off somewhat by the dated drum machine sound in 1984 but that album has some nice melodies.
    The whole album kicks ass. I love it.

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

I love 1984...including the drum machine For some reason Slow Dance is the album I've never clicked with.

I always give a mention to the P, P and P album Twelve...Ant at his most austere and dissonant. Not a word you generally associate with him. And on the bonus disc of 1984 there's an incredible epic piano and synth piece called Poly Piece which is among his finest music IMO.

Matt.

Haven't heard slow dance, I'll need to check it out.

The ones I really like are:

Gees and the Ghost
    Private Parts and Pieces II

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I recommend a compilation called 'Anthology', which was a budget CD and quite representative of all his different styles. Otherwise all my AP albums- save the deluxe 'Geese...'- are old import records I found cheap several years ago.

Agree. Anthology is a great way to kick start a Phillips collection.