Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Sgt P's LHCB

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    Speaking of mixes. Here is my remix of LOVELY RITA. (No s..t it's for real!)
    Kim, that is great! Nice separation with voices right in the middle.

I actually downloaded it and mixed it down to mono to make it definitive.

Seriously, though, people might critique the material, like this particular song. But, when you listen to all the work and layers, especially all the voices at the end, there's a lot of stuff going on there. And, yes, some of it is groundbreaking.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    maybe someday the technology will exist to release albums in their original 24track or 36track format, so we can all do our own mixes.
    The technology exists now. I know David Bowie released an iPhone app with a multitrack version of "Golden Years," and damn was that fun to play with. I would think others have released similar projects; no reason it couldn't be done with whole albums by major artists, it's only a matter of $$$ £££ €€€ ¥¥¥.

maybe someday the technology will exist to release albums in their original 24track or 36track
    format, so we can all do our own mixes.
    That's actually exactly what this is.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

I meant all old albums, and new albums too. Delivered on a 24-track DVD perhaps.

Banned
    Precisely. Take advantage of technological changes, you're free to like or dislike them but don't make out that mono is the only legitimate way to hear music from 1967 (stereo was well established by then, by the way). That's like Biblical literalists saying the universe was really created in six days and that it's 9000 years old.

To give a nod to the other side though, the mono mixes *are* subtly different so there's certainly no shame in preferring that mix over the stereo. They are not more authentic or legitimate though -- just different.
    Multichannel mono is superior to stereo

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    The technology exists now. I know David Bowie released an iPhone app with a multitrack version of "Golden Years,"
    Meh, I don't fancy paying $2 to remix a song I'm not crazy about. But I see there's a ten dollar DAW app available that'll go up to 24-tracks for an additional $8, that's cool. With appropriate outboards you'd have a complete recording studio in the palm of your hand.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    You and your fellow inmates of the mental hospital where you're obviously kept chained in darkness should petition the guards for a little compassion.
    How did you read my statement and deduce that I hadn't owned or heard a Beatles album in its entirety? I've owned several for decades.

Anyhoo, I think that a lot of people would say they liked the Beatles even if they hadn't heard their albums in their entirety. Lots of people were perfectly happy if all they ever heard was what was played on the radio and didn't buy albums of hardly anyone, even if they liked the songs. Music obcession might be the rule for us at PE but in the mainstream world, we're the exception. And there are those who'll tell you they never 'got' all the love for the Beatles. I've heard it before - I don't relate, but I've heard it.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    How did you read my statement and deduce that I hadn't owned or heard a Beatles album in its entirety? I've owned several for decades.

Anyhoo, I think that a lot of people would say they liked the Beatles even if they hadn't heard their albums in their entirety. Lots of people were perfectly happy if all they ever heard was what was played on the radio and didn't buy albums of hardly anyone, even if they liked the songs. Music obcession might be the rule for us at PE but in the mainstream world, we're the exception. And there are those who'll tell you they never 'got' all the love for the Beatles. I've heard it before - I don't relate, but I've heard it.
    Besides, even if people like an artist they hear on the radio, this doesn't mean they feel the need to buy their albums, especially if they had to be a bit selective, because they only had a limited budget. At least this is how it worked with me. I concentrated on Nektar, Kayak and the German progressive rock I liked and could lay my hands on.

What the hell, this is a Beatles thread. Like I said before (and like I've been saying for years), The Beatles were a tough, little Rock & Roll band in 1964 and 1965:

This is some mean ass, guitar-rock with some killer, badass harmonies.

John Lennon is a mean son-of-a-bitch on these two songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    John Lennon is a mean son-of-a-bitch on these two songs.
    Yep. He used to be cruel to his woman; he beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved.

'When I Get Home' isn't one of my favourites but 'You Can't Do That' is brilliant. It was with 'A Hard Day's Night' that they pulled away from their contemporaries for good IMHO...no other band around was releasing that much high quality original material then, if they were writing songs at all. Their only peer in that regard was Bob Dylan.

RE; 'Lovely Rita'. Not the most substantial of songs, no, but what an amazing production! And that thoroughly weird ending is one of the highlights of the album IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'When I Get Home' isn't one of my favourites but 'You Can't Do That' is brilliant. It was with 'A Hard Day's Night' that they pulled away from their contemporaries for good IMHO...no other band around was releasing that much high quality original material then, if they were writing songs at all.
    Not only did John write some really great pop rock, I always felt that he had few peers when it came to belting out good old rock and roll. "Rock and Roll Music," IMO, is the greatest pure rock and roll vocal performance ever. Others may argue Chuck Berry's original is better. But it lacks the pure energy that John brought.

I always considered Little Richard in his prime to be the best pure R'n'R singer.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    "Rock and Roll Music," IMO, is the greatest pure rock and roll vocal performance ever.
    To each his own, but I think he had already delivered on that score:

John Lennon was a brilliant rock singer, as good as any of the 50s singers he idolised...Elvis, Little Richard, whoever. John had a passion and believability in everything he sang that you just can't copy...that makes even his more 'throwaway' songs worth listening to.

John Lennon was a brilliant rock singer, as good as any of the 50s singers he idolised...Elvis, Little Richard, whoever. John had a passion and believability in everything he sang that you just can't copy...that makes even his more 'throwaway' songs worth listening to.
    ...And yet, he hated the sound of his voice. He would request George Martin to do whatever he could to alter his voice (automatic-double-tracking, echo, reverb, whatever) because he didn't like the sound of his voice on the records. IMO, he was at his best when he was belting it out.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

^Yes, that's true, and quite sad...but the best artists tend to have those insecurities.

...but the best artists tend to have those insecurities.
    That's what makes them so good, always striving to be better.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    ...And yet, he hated the sound of his voice. He would request George Martin to do whatever he could to alter his voice (automatic-double-tracking, echo, reverb, whatever) because he didn't like the sound of his voice on the records. IMO, he was at his best when he was belting it out.
    I thought that was only really true during the time he was deepest in his stoner phase ('66-'67). His singing from '68 on is very natural (apart from his later infatuation with Phil Spector reverb.)
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Did anyone use their voice more ways than John?

Yes.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It"a true I never tired of it.

Yes.
    Mel Blanc, I suppose?