Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boards Of Canada

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    It was actually the first one I've heard. Tonight I have 'Hello Everything' on my playlist. Next band on my list is Autechre, any recommendations for a start?
    With Squarepusher I would try some of his '90s albums like Feed Me Weird Things and Hard Normal Daddy.

Re: Autechre. Start with LP5(if you're streaming it; I thinks it's OOP physically) or Tri Repetae++. Their post-'90s stuff may be a little too difficult and weird sounding for a newbie.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Relative to Squarepusher, I would recommend "Burningn'n Tree". It features some excellent Jaco Pastorius styled fretless bass playing/soloing over the top of some crazyass beats.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    It was actually the first one I've heard. Tonight I have 'Hello Everything' on my playlist. Next band on my list is Autechre, any recommendations for a start?
    I've kinda fallen out with Squarepusher lately. I loved Hard Normal Daddy and Music is One Rotted Note but I'm frustrated that he seems unable (or unwilling) to progress beyond that sound. Even since Go Plastic he's gone rather abstract, but despite what he says I don't feel his music is getting more complex - to my ears it just feels noisier, and his production values seem to be slipping besides. I thought Ultravisitor was somewhere between good and great - lots of meandering, but some of it is excellent - "Iambic 9 Poetry" is incredible. Since then I've been less enamored, his side projects seem lifeless to me, though I liked Just a Souvenir, which IMO was good because he didn't try to get away with a lot.

Autechre on the other hand I love - I stared a thread here about them but there didn't seem to be much interest. LP5 is a good kick-off point because it combines their more melodic early work with their later abstract stuff, but in my opinion they're one of those bands where it's a good idea to start from the beginning and move forward. Their early, more-IDMish works like Incunabula are very nice (sounding a bit like SAW-era Aphex) and they slowly got weirder from there. Make sure you include the EPs in there too; those are a little more manageable, and often just as good. If you can make it to Confield without getting too put off, they may just become one of your favorite groups

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    With Squarepusher I would try some of his '90s albums like Feed Me Weird Things and Hard Normal Daddy.

Re: Autechre. Start with LP5(if you're streaming it; I thinks it's OOP physically) or Tri Repetae++. Their post-'90s stuff may be a little too difficult and weird sounding for a newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post

Autechre on the other hand I love - I stared a thread here about them but there didn't seem to be much interest. LP5 is a good kick-off point because it combines their more melodic early work with their later abstract stuff, but in my opinion they're one of those bands where it's a good idea to start from the beginning and move forward. Their early, more-IDMish works like Incunabula are very nice (sounding a bit like SAW-era Aphex) and they slowly got weirder from there. Make sure you include the EPs in there too; those are a little more manageable, and often just as good. If you can make it to Confield without getting too put off, they may just become one of your favorite groups
    Thanx for the advice, I'll check them out. Btw listened this weekend to a Roger Eno/ Plumbline project CD a mix of ambient-electronica, interesting.

Awesome - let me know how it goes. I hope you enjoy them but let it be known Autechre are pretty much the embodiment of "your mileage may vary"

I get most of the records through music-libraries, so the first Autechre Cd's I 've got are the 'Move Of Ten' EP (2010) and Untitled (2005) I started with the EP and I like it, but it's quite abstract. I need further listening. Meanwhile I bought Tomorrow's harvest on Cd. Amazing.... in the shop was a promo on the BoC vynyls and I bought also Trans Canada Highway, no default, and a beautiful cover and inlet.